Does anyone else think the symbols are too generic?

By jathromir, in Genesys

Hey all! As someone who has tried to kitbash the FFG system and have searched out and found many people doing the same. Does it bother anyone that the symbology on the new dice are a bit too abstract? I got used to EtoE et al. because of the pseudo-republic/imperial markings, but these don't strike me as intuitive. Don't get me wrong I'm going to snap these up as soon as they are available I guess I was just hoping for different symbols.

Jath

They all seem relatively similar to the Star Wars symbols, so I'm cool with them. At the end of the day, symbols are always arbitrary, so I think folks should get used to them pretty quickly. (And hopefully, we can just all use our Star Wars dice anyway!)

I like that they came up with their own unique symbols. At first, I didn't like that the Triumph symbol is just a success with a circle. I was afraid that while quickly looking at the dice someone might mix the symbols up. But After seeing the size difference on the Dice I think it will be ok.

You are right. We will get used to them.

My personal pet peeve is that they are still calling Complications "Threat"

I don't mind the symbols being generic. I do with there was more of a logic to them, though. I'd rather have "Success" and "Failure" be open and circular, with "Advantage" and "Threat" being closed and angular. I like that "Triumph" and "Despair" are complex. The others are just not intuitive as they are. I would switch the symbols for "Threat" and "Failure", and fill in "Advantage".

gns01_dice_logos.png

As long as they're clearly distinct for easy tabulation I don't care much how they look. Maybe a system of emoji symbols?

9 hours ago, jathromir said:

Hey all! As someone who has tried to kitbash the FFG system and have searched out and found many people doing the same. Does it bother anyone that the symbology on the new dice are a bit too abstract? I got used to EtoE et al. because of the pseudo-republic/imperial markings, but these don't strike me as intuitive. Don't get me wrong I'm going to snap these up as soon as they are available I guess I was just hoping for different symbols.

Jath

I used to feel the same way about English.....

I actually prefer these symbols to the star wars. The despair/triumph symbol is designed to be a success/failure with extra symbology. My players for the longest time forgot that triumph and despair count as a success and failure respectively.

I think they are much better than the SWRPG ones. Much cleaner and way easier for me to distinguish. I'd like to buy a set now to use for our SWRPG game.

Im with Randeth, but to be honest I shelled out for a set of dice for everyone in my SW group and gave them some extra dice on top to make up , as long as the faces are the same , I'm using my SW dice when I play this, will save me relearning, as GM I'll probably use thw dice app though, but as a player Ill use my own (again SW dice)

I'm another vote for "these are better than the SW dice". Triumph/Despair are clearly "Success/Failure plus something extra" which is better than the SW dice where they didn't really look related.

The more I look at them The more i like them. I really dig the Tri/Des are complex variants of suc/fail. I like that each have there own uniqueness but still work well together (Fail and Threat are a great example of this) Most of all I like how simple they are compared to the SWRPG symbols (symmetrical and very simple shapes) I could see drawing pictures of these on character sheets instead of writing the word.

I think the failure side is pretty good. All three symbols seem to be a continuation of the others. The succes side of things however has this advantage symbol that just seems weirdly out of place.

Agreed, I wish the symbols were more intuitive. Having played Star Wars often with new players, it always took 3-4 sessions before they were comfortable with the symbols. Then we could say pointy cancels pointy and round cancels round. I'd like to know what the thought process was in using these symbols as I can't see a pattern.

They could be more intuitive, sure. But I think the connection is that Advantage is a three-pointed, ^ shape, while Threat is that with a circle through it. (They've just erased the walls of the ^ in the Threat version.)

6 hours ago, Keithh said:

Agreed, I wish the symbols were more intuitive. Having played Star Wars often with new players, it always took 3-4 sessions before they were comfortable with the symbols. Then we could say pointy cancels pointy and round cancels round. I'd like to know what the thought process was in using these symbols as I can't see a pattern.

Stars are success, "X"s are failures. That seems pretty straightforward and intuitive to me. The deluxe success/failures are more intricate stars/X s.

Advantage and threat is a bit less so, but an arrow for advantage makes sense, just leaving threat as the odd man out, since you can't distinguish an up pointing arrow from a down pointing arrow on dice.

They're no more or less intuitive then the Star Wars ones, and most of us picked those up easily enough.

5 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Advantage and threat is a bit less so, but an arrow for advantage makes sense, just leaving threat as the odd man out, since you can't distinguish an up pointing arrow from a down pointing arrow on dice.

I would argue that the Threat symbol makes just as much - or perhaps more - sense as the Advantage one. It looks like a reticle, like what you might see in the middle of the screen on a first person shooter. Like you're being aimed at. If that's not a threat, I don't know what is.

Its a generic system.

Social media and the fact that the dice don't always land "right side up" mean a thumbs up/thumbs down would be hard to do quickly... then again, maybe like the 6/9 on a D10+ with a dot or line could have signified things...

Interesting thing that now bothers me to no end... Take out a D8... and ask yourself why the 6 has a line/dot on it?