Voltron!!!!

By Scott Bot, in Genesys

My first reaction to any new generic RPG announcement is, "Can it do Voltron?" (Classic that is, cause I like the VV and Gladiator robots as well). Currently I do it with both Cypher or Savage Worlds mixed with some of the tables from Traveller games. But I could REALLY see using this system, as the narrative system destroys any need for complicated mecha rules (Fate Core also works, but it requires a lot of work). Really looking forward to this.

Voltron can be done in this system with a little bit of work.

One of the great weaknesses of Star Wars is that the vehicle combat is a little, oh how shall we say - tepid? So while a Giant Mecha series like Voltron or Robotech could be done, the results might be less than satisfactory. You might be better to do something like Daiguard or Evangelion, where the mecha combat is subservient to the stuff the squishies do between monsters.

To be fair, flaccid vehicle combat isn't exclusive to FFG. All three Star Wars RPGs have failed to come up with a good starship combat system. WEG's was okay and WotC's was f'ing unplayable. FFG is the best of the three, but that's a pretty low bar to cross.

I don't think it'll be a problem for humanoid combat battles- just abstract the person-to-person battle dynamics that Star Wars uses now and tack on a few actions.

The hardest part of the vehicle rules for me was always establishing the difficulty of whatever shot you were taking. The whole thing about speeds was their way around trying to keep track of where everyone/everything was in a scope that's just too fast without something like X-Wing on the table. Take that out, and Voltron/Giant Robot combat is basically a scaled up duel between two dudes.

Yeah, vehicle combat has always been a stickler for me with this system.

I too hope they've done some improvements and polish...maybe even something we can port back over to Star Wars.

Edited by DarthGM
7 hours ago, Norsehound said:

I don't think it'll be a problem for humanoid combat battles- just abstract the person-to-person battle dynamics that Star Wars uses now and tack on a few actions.

The hardest part of the vehicle rules for me was always establishing the difficulty of whatever shot you were taking. The whole thing about speeds was their way around trying to keep track of where everyone/everything was in a scope that's just too fast without something like X-Wing on the table. Take that out, and Voltron/Giant Robot combat is basically a scaled up duel between two dudes.

This was my line of thinking, too, and has been for almost as long as I've tried to RPG Voltron. (I'm an old grognard here. I had to homebrew an 80's version modeled on Victory Games 007 mechanics - of all things! - don't know why I never did it with TSR's Marvel Super Heroes, though). Games like Mekton Zeta and BESM have been able to do it fine but they become statistical nightmares, especially when incorporating the fifteen vehicle fleet of Vehicle Voltron - which, if I'm honest is what I'm in it for! (I love the Lions, of course, BUT.....that Matchbox Voltron I toy just dusted it, and I loved that the VV series had a harder science fiction edge). The very reason I'm on this yet again is because of my recent purchase of the GX71 Soul of Chogokin Voltron/Golion. And yes of course I have the Monsterpocalypse Voltron set, which is awesome on it's own, but is not roleplaying. Currently I do find the Cypher System to be excellent for this brand, but I still feel this GENESYS will be a good match because of the narrative dice play. I'll probably wind up merging them both together, then. (Genesys mechanics and dice/Cypher structure and card play).

Netflix Voltron is the best Voltron.

3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Netflix Voltron is the best Voltron.

They do actually use the individual lions a lot more. Wich is good, otherwise the audience tends to wonder why they don't just stay in Voltron mode all the time.

32 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

They do actually use the individual lions a lot more. Wich is good, otherwise the audience tends to wonder why they don't just stay in Voltron mode all the time.

Indeed. A nice change of pace that some enemies require Voltron, some needed the individuals to defeat.

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Indeed. A nice change of pace that some enemies require Voltron, some needed the individuals to defeat.

And the main bad guy goes toe to toe with the red lion. Awesome fight that.

I'm a touch late to the game... but I definitely will look into working on this for my players.