Genesys Announced

By Duciris, in Genesys

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/

Yes! FFG just announced a new RPG system using the story-telling dice from their Star Wars Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny lines.

This looks to be a non-licensed version of the system they pioneered with their Warhammer Fantasy RPG.

I am very excited to hear this!

Without the license or fully-formed setting, the price will be 40USD rather than the 60USD we've seen for Star Wars core books.

Edited by Duciris

Hopefully the distribution of dice symbols are the same as the Star Wars dice; I've got 5 sets of those I'd like to be able to re-use!

from what you see they look the same.

from what you see they look the same.

Yeah, they sure look identical; but a detailed teardown of each die face would be a nice confirmation *coughs in the general direction of any FFG folks that might be watching the thread*

4 minutes ago, jivjov said:

Hopefully the distribution of dice symbols are the same as the Star Wars dice; I've got 5 sets of those I'd like to be able to re-use!

They look the same, notwithstanding the missing Force die ;) .

There is no mention of classes, skills or character creation in the post. We'll doubtlessly see it as the product nears release. However, story narrative and dice are only one-half of what makes SWEotE so great, the other half is simple and robust race-class-skill sets. With enumerated genres, race/class/skills become more difficult to handle.

It will be interesting to discover what lies in wait for future players.

Think Genesys stands for Generic System?

Glad to finally see this one announced. I cannot wait to see what the final project looks like.

13 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Think Genesys stands for Generic System?

Ooh, good call; I kept thinking the latest Terminator flick

The article specifically mentions the Android setting. So I am really hoping there will be an Android setting book. Also, I'd love a Runebound setting book. Android and Runebound are both worlds that I've been hoping for RPGs for. Setting books for Genesys? I'll take it!

Oh yeah... Hopefully Genesys clears up how Defense is used. ;)

20 minutes ago, Duciris said:

They look the same, notwithstanding the missing Force die ;) .

There is no mention of classes, skills or character creation in the post. We'll doubtlessly see it as the product nears release. However, story narrative and dice are only one-half of what makes SWEotE so great, the other half is simple and robust race-class-skill sets. With enumerated genres, race/class/skills become more difficult to handle.

It will be interesting to discover what lies in wait for future players.

In the product description on the store it says:

It all begins with character creation. Genesys allows you to create a character using four different archetypes that can be applied to many different settings. These archetypes provide the basis for your character, whether they are a skilled laborer or a haughty intellectual, an aristocrat or average human. These archetypes can be found as different jobs in a modern setting, or as a different species on an exotic alien world. Next, your character selects a career to give them a greater focus. This career can be generic, like an entertainer or trader, or be more setting specific, like a knight or mad scientist. From there, your character develops their special skills and talents before diving into the narrative dice system of Genesys .

11 minutes ago, ajtheronin said:

In the product description on the store it says:

It all begins with character creation. Genesys allows you to create a character using four different archetypes that can be applied to many different settings. These archetypes provide the basis for your character, whether they are a skilled laborer or a haughty intellectual, an aristocrat or average human. These archetypes can be found as different jobs in a modern setting, or as a different species on an exotic alien world. Next, your character selects a career to give them a greater focus. This career can be generic, like an entertainer or trader, or be more setting specific, like a knight or mad scientist. From there, your character develops their special skills and talents before diving into the narrative dice system of Genesys .

Oh! I hadn't even thought to look there.

43 minutes ago, jivjov said:

The same amount of symbols would be fine, but I hope they change the allocation of the sysmbols, since they had been n a way that allowed exploits.

FFG does GURPS. :)

Seriously, though. Our gaming group has thoroughly enjoyed the narrative approach to the Star Wars games, so I could see this being fun too. It is up against some steep compitetion in gaming systems that do have brand recognition, so I wonder if it can gain enough traction to be a success.

Neat. I'll definitely pick this up. I like the minimalist 'sketchpad' art. It may not be as nice as the full color images used in the Star Wars books, but I think it does its job and it probably saves money on ink.

I wonder if this means they'll release fixes to the vehicle combat and defense rules now?

I hope they will release this line as PDFs (Dont see why not).

2 minutes ago, Ceodryn said:

I hope they will release this line as PDFs (Dont see why not).

Oooo...GOOD CALL.

I have been waiting MONTHS to talk about this system. SO happy to have been the "genesis" of Genesys ...

You folks are in for a fun time. I've been working like mad making a few themes for settings; I can't wait to unleash them on you when this drops.

:D

Looks interesting.

This is fantastic news. Now I can sell off every other RPG system I own.

1 hour ago, kaosoe said:

Glad to finally see this one announced. I cannot wait to see what the final project looks like.

Agreed

7 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

Oooo...GOOD CALL.

I have been waiting MONTHS to talk about this system. SO happy to have been the "genesis" of Genesys ...

You folks are in for a fun time. I've been working like mad making a few themes for settings; I can't wait to unleash them on you when this drops.

:D

Are you one of the authors/developers on this project (and not "just" a playtester)? That would be cool...

I already know what I'm going to do first: build an Android -focused cyberpunk theme.

I mean, FFG is a couple days early for my birthday, but this is the best news.

This is an exciting announcement! The narrative dice system is great. I am looking forward to see what lessons they have learned from Star Wars. People have told me the change from Warhammer Fantasy was already a big set of improvements.

One of the reasons we don't play EotE as much as Pathfinder or other d20 systems is because several players absolutely hate the dice. Having to have a cheat sheet of things you can spend varying amounts of advantages on doesn't help endear them to the system either.

These don't look like much of an improvement as they have pretty terrible affordance. The up arrows look like success and pairs better with the x for failure while the spiked ring for success looks like nothing and it pairs better with the spiked ring for threat which doesn't seem to have anything to do with threat.

I don't actively dislike the dice in EotE but even I prefer using an app to do the rolling, especially when you start getting to ridiculous numbers of dice, which can happen very easily.

I think a system of negating dice would have been far better rather than adding dice and negating symbols. As for the symbology +/- and ^/v would have been so much clearer.

So I'm not really looking forward to this. Even if I got it it would be a really hard sell at the tables I play at in order to get it played. If I do end up playing at a con or whatever I'll use the Star Wars die rolling app and probably wish I was playing Cypher System instead.

34 minutes ago, Jedi Ronin said:

Are you one of the authors/developers on this project (and not "just" a playtester)? That would be cool...

Jeebus, I wish I was...maybe someday.

No, I'm a playtester. And I was Sam's inspiration to develop this product by getting him at my table for my Fallout: Edge of the Wasteland hack, back in March of 2016.