Fairly new to Netrunner... what would you recommend as my first expansion?

By ServiceGames, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

A friend of mine and I played for several hours last week and really enjoyed the game. I have some store credit at the FLGS I bought the game from, so I'm wondering what would a good first expansion(s) for the game.

Thanks in advance

SG

After the Core Set, probably the best bang for your buck is the Terminal Directive box.

if you still like it, you could pick up a deluxe set and start picking up data packs as they come out. By that time you'll have a better idea of what you like and that will help you make choices as to what to consider picking from older Data Packs.

One thing to note is that if you ever plan on playing competitively, the 1st and 2nd cycles are going to be rotating out soon.

Otherwise, as Grimwalker said. Terminal Directive is a great second buy.

17 hours ago, nungunz said:

One thing to note is that if you ever plan on playing competitively, the 1st and 2nd cycles are going to be rotating out soon.

Otherwise, as Grimwalker said. Terminal Directive is a great second buy.

Does that mean the original core set is rotating out or just the 1st and 2nd cycles of expansions?

Thanks in advance

SG

On 6/22/2017 at 9:16 AM, ServiceGames said:

Does that mean the original core set is rotating out or just the 1st and 2nd cycles of expansions?

Thanks in advance

SG

No. Core set and deluxe expansions go not rotate out.

On 6/22/2017 at 7:16 AM, ServiceGames said:

Thanks in advance

SG

1st and 2nd cycle. So the Blue and the White boxes. So what to get next well that depends on what you are going for?

If you wan't to play and want more cards than just the core set but not concerned with any particular faction the Terminal Directive is the way to go. I know at my LFGS they had a campaign where only the core set and TD were allowed to keep the field even for everyone, if that is what you are going for then there you go.

If you are interested in a paticular faction then go with the big box sets that have your faction in them. Those don't rotate out anytime soon.

If you are trying to collect you may find it the 1st and second cycle packs become cheaper after the rotation.

However if you are going for tournament just stay away from the 1st and 2nd cycle packs for now. Go with the latest cycle and packs from 3rd and later. If you need a card from 1st or 2nd cycle (i.e. Howard Jackson) see if that card is in one of the promo world championship deck and pick up that pack.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the great information, all! I haven't gotten to play much recently, but I did pick up Terminal Directive. Looking forward to getting into it.

Thanks again!

SG

I have to step in here and say that there is a large contingent of people who expect that the Core Set will in fact rotate and be replaced with a sort of "Core 1.5" which A) folds in some cards from Genesis and Spin cycles and B) rotates out problematic Core Set 1.0 cards.

One of the major things that makes me think that this is less unlikely by the day is that there's only one pack left in the Red Sand cycle and we have no idea what's coming next. We know from things Boggs has said that the game isn't stopping, so why has it been over two months since they've said what's coming next? So, people are expecting that something big will be announced--possibly debuted--at Gen Con.

So, my advice, assuming you have one core set, is just to buy packs out of the current cycle, and then the new ones as they come out. Consider a Deluxe set if you develop an affinity to any particular faction. Going forward, if you decide you want particular packs from the back catalog, you could make targeted purchases.

I also think the community could step in an make alternative formats that allow the cycled out cards to be played. I'm not talking about just a "Legacy" format that ignores the rotation. Something more like what EDH does with Magic, allowing older card to be played but not in a way that makes for those unbeatable power decks.