UFS vs Other card games

By bikinilord, in Universal Fighting System

Can you tell me when you place this game compared to other TCG games? Is it better then Magic, worst then YuGiO?

It's really hard to say, I played both magic and Yugi-oh and I like UFS a lot more. The game is more balanced when I played yugi-oh the only way to win was to buy all the best cards and that made tournaments with competitive players like playing a mirror match that came down to who had a better draw. In UFS you don't have to have all the good cards to build a really good deck, which helps keep casual players.

It's generally in terms of speed. Turns can end quite fast due to a bad control check, and you go through your deck much faster due to the "draw up to your handsize" rule.

If you like fast-paced CCGs, you can't really go wrong with UFS, and as luck would have it new starters are coming out in March.

I normally compare UFS to Magic and Versus (and even WoW when I played it) as opposed to Yugioh.

Really UFS combines aspects of both Yugioh and Magic but I have to say there's a lot more resource management and luck drawing in this game than any other.

uh, i dont like luck

Well, you can control your luck to a certain extent in this game when building the deck since this game relies heavily on making control checks. If you have no clue at all about this game then take the online demo. It'd give you a basic idea of how this system plays.

Well, in terms of luck in drawing cards I would say UFS has a lot less of that than MTG, etc. since you draw to your hand size each turn as opposed to a single card. So if you have 4 copies of a card in your deck, you're much more apt to see it consistently than you would in other games. Of course, it's always possible to need an attack and just not draw one, or fail to get more than one or two foundations on both your initial and mulligan draws, but those things don't happen nearly as often as mana-screw, a few turns of dead draws, etc. happen in MTG, and because of the increased card draw rate any changes you make to your deck to mitigate the odds of such things are a lot more effective.

There is more luck than other ccgs in playing cards because of control checks, but once again there's a fair amount of control over that in the deckbuilding stage and the risk/reward fator adds to the strategy anyway.

I'd say one big difference between UFS and the other major ccgs that hasn't been stated yet is the comparative lack of a netdeck factor. You *could* copy someone else's deck, but due to the sheer deck familiarity that's required to do well at a high level, it is very rare to see anyone actually succeed that way. There's also a "diversity" rule that allows only the best player for each character into the top cut, so even when netdeckers do manage a good record they often lose out to the original designers. The vast majority of the winners at majors did it with their own creations, sometimes even by stubbornly sticking to their favorite character and just making it work.

We have a very strong Magic base in our area, and many of our UFS players also play Magic competitively (myself included). I often compare UFS to Magic stating that "UFS is easier than Magic." UFS does not have a lot of the timing confusion that other games do - although there can be some! There are definite paralells with card types.

Overall I would say that the UFS atmosphere is better. Although there is a lot of "trash talk" in the spirit of the video games, the general atmosphere is more patient and laid back. The game is very well balanced in that a player does not have to have a lot of high dollar cards to have a winning deck. Truly ANY character and symbol combination can win a tournament. This adds to the "fun" element even among the experienced deck builders.

I agree with Cetonis, one will almost always draw the important cards one needs in UFS. Especially since there are so many cards that play cards out of the discard pile. With Sakura, for example, you can almost extend your hand to your discard pile. Control checks are also easily managed, and foundations can assure you wont have to relly entirely on control. You also can not get mana screwed!!! You are almost garaunteed to get what you need. This game is, however, much more complicated then MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh! since it was published (originally) by Sabertooth Games.

I think this game really involves less luck then most other games, you can completely control your odds and should play based on what might happen, skill at deckbuilding to control what you will draw and your checks is necessary, I dont think luck has much to do with it. As well as playing cards in an order for maximum chance of passThe only time I consider luck to be a factor is you run that single 1 check card and check it on your first foundation of the game, it sucks but its something easily avoided or limited with a well built deck.

Other games drawing 1 card a turn getting the card you need is much harder, in this game not only do you draw to your handsize every turn but you also make control checks for all the cards you play, so if you ditch the card you want you can use recursion to get it from your discard pile.

I am new to UFS but i have been a MTG player for a long time there are pros and con with any TCG. First and for most Magic being one on of the first TCG is of course going to have a few problems. But sence the game is still going very stong they are most likely siting back saying if it is not broken why fix it. WItch i agree with most of all. But i am always looking for a way to expand my knowledg of tcg that is why i am starting to learn UFS so i hope this i will be fun and one of the TCG that i will play for a long time

Ty

I've had many more positive experiences with the PEOPLE who play UFS than I have with those who play other CCGs. I think that it's mainly due to people who play UFS often have the games the cards are based off in common as well as the cards themselves, which means that they generally are more talkative than a lot of CCG players I've played Magic, or at one very short point, Yu-Gi-Oh. As much as I'm well aware that not everyone is the same, in the past I've often found Yu-Gi-Oh players to believe that they are the only person who plays, and MtG players often blow smoke up their own backsides. I've made a hell of a lot of friends playing UFS who I still talk to now ( travelling halfway across the country to celebrate one of their birthdays in a weeks time ;) ) and I hope to make many more across the UK.

Which reminds me, if anyone needs help with either building a deck, saving money in order to do the former, or playstyles in general, I'm here for ya ;)

Viewtiful_Joe said:

I've had many more positive experiences with the PEOPLE who play UFS than I have with those who play other CCGs. I think that it's mainly due to people who play UFS often have the games the cards are based off in common as well as the cards themselves, which means that they generally are more talkative than a lot of CCG players I've played Magic, or at one very short point, Yu-Gi-Oh. As much as I'm well aware that not everyone is the same, in the past I've often found Yu-Gi-Oh players to believe that they are the only person who plays, and MtG players often blow smoke up their own backsides. I've made a hell of a lot of friends playing UFS who I still talk to now ( travelling halfway across the country to celebrate one of their birthdays in a weeks time ;) ) and I hope to make many more across the UK.

Which reminds me, if anyone needs help with either building a deck, saving money in order to do the former, or playstyles in general, I'm here for ya ;)

Hello there

I can accept some of that help building a Deck I am really new in this

I am not new in TCG but I am in this

Maybe if you see my background you can help me in a deck that could work with me

In yu-gi-oh I usually played Zombies, controlling the graveyard and reviving monsters, also drawing a lot of cards

in VS system I played Xmen and Brotherhood, Basically a burner deck with beatdown

In Magic I played Zombies reviving and regenerating

I love all the fighting game that UFS has but I don't know what to use or what character have or anything so if you can help me that would be great

THanks

Well, UFS doesn't have anything equivalent to creatures/monsters/etc., so you can't exactly "revive" things per se. But there are a number of ways to bring stuff back from the discard pile, which is even more powerful in UFS than usual because said discard pile naturally grows as you make control checks to play cards. My best suggestion would be to pick up a Sakura starter deck or two, as she's a relatively simple yet powerful recursion-oriented character, and can be good with any of her symbols or combination of symbols. '

Mai is another starter character with recursion, but although she has excellent starter-exclusive rares, the character itself is somewhat awkward to use. It'd probably be better as a supplement later down the line, should your Sakura shift to a water build. Plus I believe it to be pretty bad to have access to Rejection (one of said Mai rares) when you're just starting, as it's a bit of a easy button whose presence will likely hinder learning how to handle the defensive end of the game.

ZeroHart said:

Viewtiful_Joe said:

Hello there

I can accept some of that help building a Deck I am really new in this

I am not new in TCG but I am in this

Maybe if you see my background you can help me in a deck that could work with me

In yu-gi-oh I usually played Zombies, controlling the graveyard and reviving monsters, also drawing a lot of cards

in VS system I played Xmen and Brotherhood, Basically a burner deck with beatdown

In Magic I played Zombies reviving and regenerating

I love all the fighting game that UFS has but I don't know what to use or what character have or anything so if you can help me that would be great

THanks

I think that your best bet to start with is to look at the characters from the fighting games themselves that you like. From what I can see, you seem to lean toward the darker, more sinister style of character. I could tell you the tech behind each and every recursion character under the sun (To be honest, due to your playstyle, Sakura and Mai, as Cetonis said, seem like good bets for you, as they play around with their discard piles quite a lot) but it wouldn't be any fun for you if you ended up playing characters you didn't like, so I think that if you tell us the characters themselves you like, we can help you to adapt that character into the playstyle you prefer. UFS is a very versatile game, in that characters can more often than not be played in a multitude of different ways. Sakura and Mai are quite good examples of this, as they can jump up and down the control/aggro slider like noones business.

So yeah, let me know who you're favourite characters are (the more choice the better) and I'll see if I can't adapt it to be a recursion style character, if they aren't one already :)

WHoa! THanks I am going to review some characters I like and make a list here

maybe tomorrow or by monday I will do so.

also my MSN is [email protected] or Gtalk [email protected]

if anyone wants to chat about the game! I saw a guy playing with like 4 characters in his deck is that legal? how is it possible?

Viewtiful_Joe said:

I am new to the game and trying to build a Morrigan deck from the darkstalkers Realm of Midnight what is the main teck behind her

Greetings new folks!

Welcome aboard. Just as a suggestion, if your scroll up a bit on the screen where you selected this thread, you'll see deck building forms.

Feel free to look through there to see what others have built.

If that's not giving you the assistance that you need, feel free to create a brand new thread in the section where we can discuss your deck.

Ok I Have them now

• K'
  • Ken
  • Tycho *
  • Haohmaru
  • Iori
  • Kyo
  • Terry
  • Genjuro
  • Tam Tam

The ones on bold are the characters that I have now, The Tycho one I got it from a friend an a couple of cards from that deck but that's it

I would really like to build a deck with tycho for what i see is a good character, also maybe with haomaru since I have it.

Ok I just found out that tycho is not legal but I hope that since it is going to be reprinted is going to come back, anyways here in costa rica they don't make Tourneys and it is pretty hard to buy the cards, I have to import everything

@ ZeroHart: I'd say that coming from your list, you could make a pretty effective deck actually. I'd say that due to the taste in playstyle you previously stated that Haohmaru was your best bet to start off with. I say this because he has a starter deck from Cutting Edge (he has another one, but it is no longer legal, so be careful if you're going to buy him) which is pretty effective as while he doesn't recur cards from his discard pile, he can do it after he blocks with cards like A Samurai's Life. Personal Style is one of his deck rares and is a very easy, yet effective damage pump card. I'm also glad that you've put Ken down as well, as he also has a Starter Deck from Domination (the same rules apply here as to Haohmaru, Ken has a cycled out Starter Deck too, so try and make sure you get the Domination one) which shares a good few similarities to Haohmaru in the sense that Kens cards allow you to draw a hell of a lot. One of his two deck rares; Kuzuryu Reppa, is very often played by high calibre players, and is a very effective card to use with a character like Ken or Haohmaru. Ken also has a promo version that has been recently released, which gives you something to strive for later on :) .

I'd say that your best bet was to get yourself one or two of each of those two started decks (you only get two of the deck rares in each deck) as a front for your collection, then start by buying boosters in small amounts to add extras into the deck as you see fit. Domination is a pretty good start as you'll get Ken's support from it which can prove to be effective (Like Son Of A Tycoon and Kama Harai Keri). After that, you'll probably find you'll know the game well enough through the use of both the instruction manuals and playing to be able to discern what's good and what's not, so enjoy :D

@Tygretoe: Morrigan is a very interesting character with extremely big potential. In fact, I'm actually playing her myself at the moment and really enjoying it (gorgeous artwork helps, a lot!), however, she isn't what I would call a good character to start with as she relies heavily on what her opponent is doing, which means you have to pay attention at all times to what you can and can't copy. For example, if an ability you're wanting to copy causes the card to commit, Morrigan will have to commit herself to use it, which means that you have to pick and choose what you want to copy if you have to pay for it. What is it about Morrigan you like? If it's Morrigan herself you like, then perhaps her Promo or Promo Lilith might be better for you until you get a firm grip on the game altogether. If you're definately intent on building THAT Morrigan, then I would say that your best bet was to make the deck as versatile as possible. Darkstalkers in general isn't all too kind to new players, unfortunately, although some of Morrigans support is definately worth playing. I'm sure you've heard the name Olcadan's Mentoring flying about on these forums. Well Without A Care is a good substitute for that until you can get some of these 'less than easy' cards to get. Shadow Blade is an EXTREMELY powerful attack with Morrigan, as it allows you to destroy what you can't use youself. One of the best things about Morrigan is that you can build her in almost any way, and the recent Set 11 is definately a good place to start to show this. Sogetsu's support from Flames Of Fame allows you to integrate draw and discard into the deck, while Kim's support can help you play a more aggressive build off Good. Bison's support in Warriors' Dream like Past Shrouded In Mystery and Charismatic allow you to do what I stated with Shadow Blade; destroy what you can't use yourself.

I hope I've begun to help, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask ;)

Well, to make it a little back to the topic cough cough...

I have for a long time been free of CCG until UFS came around. It is not that it's better than MtG, it's simply that the theme or whatever you wanna call it, it more interesting for me. It is true that some of the guilt of the complexity of UFS relies on the design of the cards (in this aspect, I find Magic more accurate and practical) as many many many new players look at the speed when they're looking for the block modifier etc.

Anyway, the main strenght of UFS are it's licenses. If Udon doesn't mean anything for you, go play Magic. But if you know them to be the best artist group ever drawing street fighter and you know many cards have their artwork, you'll simply go mad with this game.

About the game system, I have to say the game has lost it's north a little (it's an spanish expression, dunno if it's correct in english though XD). The game is now ruled by foundation wars, and expenssive card DO give advantage. Tsunami Sabre costs only 0,25, but BRT can get you owned if it comes up in your opponents first hand and it's not cheap. So yes, money does give victories, but this happens in every CCG in some level. Magic may be a more balanced game since the really broken cards cost way too much for most of the people, but the strategy is really inportant in that game.

Talking about luck, I agree with most of you that there really isn't much of that in UFS. Know your deck and you'll know your checks. A guy told me that he didn't like UFS cause you could fail an attack due to a poor CC. That not a problem of the game, but a problem of deck building. So UFS also has the stategy point of knowing how to choose good check so your deck wins, and then know how to play your cards in a match.

For me UFS is more attractive than other games, but more for the characters and the universe than for the fact than I find the game system better. Magic has a good game system aswell, but ninja rats and flying horses mean nothing interesting for me.

I quit Magic for this game since I hated getting mana screwed . I do sometimes roll a 2 or a 1 at a bad time but what I love about UFS is you can recover from things like that for when it happens .

oofs=best game

besides yu yu hakusho

koreymfh said:

It's really hard to say, I played both magic and Yugi-oh and I like UFS a lot more. The game is more balanced when I played yugi-oh the only way to win was to buy all the best cards and that made tournaments with competitive players like playing a mirror match that came down to who had a better draw. In UFS you don't have to have all the good cards to build a really good deck, which helps keep casual players.

this is generally untrue in tournament play. the game as it is now, if you play in block 3, is restricted to certain symbols only because they have the money cards that are generally just a PITA. then there are money cards that everyone has to play negation for or their screwed, *coughOlcadan'smentoringcough*. point is in competitive play there are the few viable kill conditions and the decks built around them, generally being the highcost power cards or the cards you cant find.

note that this is ranting about the state of the game more than anything. the cost of said cards isnt that much, the trouble is finding them