Skills

By Temmin, in Runewars Rules Questions

After reading a post on facebook, I was wondering....

Do skills need to be used via arc?

Line of sight seems definite. (most skills say ' in line of sight' but nothing about arc)

For example - Can a Lancer, use a special for a unit behind him? in line of sight but not in arc?

Edited by Temmin

Rule 46 defines Line of Sight which includes the requirement of being in arc.

46 Line of Sight

To perform a ranged attack ( ? ) or resolve other ranged effects , a unit must have line of sight to its target.

46.1 To determine if a unit has line of sight to a target unit, a player uses the range ruler to trace a line from any point along his unit’s front edge to any point on the target unit. If the line is traced through a piece of terrain or another unit, either friendly or enemy, the unit that is either performing the attack or resolving the effect does not have line of sight to the target unit.

Both points that the line is traced between must be inside the firing arc of the unit that is either performing the attack or resolving the effect.

When tracing line of sight, players use a single edge of the range ruler; the width of the ruler is irrelevant.

Line of sight is always traced from a tray of one unit to a tray of another unit; figures are not used to determine line of sight.

The connectors on each tray are viable points for determining line of sight.

39.3 says, "When a unit is determining line of sight, both points by which line of sight is determined must be within that unit’s firing arc."

Some abilities don't require it at all, but yeah, LOS is always in arc unless otherwise noted.

Edited by Tvayumat

Cheers people.

So Ankaur's skill - doesn't say line of sight, so that doesn't need line of sight/arc

However, the lancer special states in line of sight, so needs line of sight/arc.

The rule flop is that for some reason they put "or ranged effects" when talking about LOS, which i highly, highly doubt they intended it to be a blanket "EVERYTHING NEEDS LOS AND IN ARC!" even though it kinda sounds that way because both A) some abilities do mention in arc/los, so why would they say it if it was a blanket thing anyway? and B) many abilities would be utter trash if it HAD to be in arc and los.

There are several rules like this that depending on how you interpret it, the rule could be amazing or horrible. We really need a FAQ for these things but i dont think we'll see one until the tourny stuff pops up.

28 minutes ago, Temmin said:

Cheers people.

So Ankaur's skill - doesn't say line of sight, so that doesn't need line of sight/arc

However, the lancer special states in line of sight, so needs line of sight/arc.

I would concur

51 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

The rule flop is that for some reason they put "or ranged effects" when talking about LOS, which i highly, highly doubt they intended it to be a blanket "EVERYTHING NEEDS LOS AND IN ARC!" even though it kinda sounds that way because both A) some abilities do mention in arc/los, so why would they say it if it was a blanket thing anyway? and B) many abilities would be utter trash if it HAD to be in arc and los.

There are several rules like this that depending on how you interpret it, the rule could be amazing or horrible. We really need a FAQ for these things but i dont think we'll see one until the tourny stuff pops up.

We pretty well settled this, though.

It says "other ranged effects", it doesn't say "ALL ranged effects".

1 hour ago, Temmin said:

Cheers people.

Yup.