Blight batteries - how many is enough?

By Thornoo1, in Runewars Tactics

I have a grand total of 5 games under my belt know and I gotta say I do love blighting Daqan. I was wondering what Waiqar players are doing to generate blight. Someone more talented than me can do the probability of generating blight per unit per dice rolled but I'll just work in absolutes if that is ok.

Here are the things I have tried so far:

1. Two 2x1 Archers without upgrades. Comes in a low 36pts. - Up to 2blight a turn = potentially 18pts per blight
  2. Two 2x1 Archers with combat ingenuity. Nearly 30% more expensive at 48pts - Up to 6 blight a turn = potentially 8pts per blight (but low odds of getting that good a roll)
  3. A single Carrion Lancer - 1 blight a turn but cheap at 15pts = Can guarantee 15pts per blight

Here are a few units I want to give a go:

1. a single 2x1 unit of archers with combat ingenuity and with Ardus roaming the board equip them with Fire Rune - looking to use the red dice to fish for surges - 31pts for a possible 4 blights - potentially 7.75 pts per surge
  2. a single 2x2 with combat ingenuity and equipped with Fire Rune - 42 pts but not reliant on Ardus - 42pts ofr a possible 4 blights - potentially 7.75 pts per surge but with precise reroll.

I think that there is a diminishing returns when it comes to blight generation. Keeping 3 blight on a key enemy units seems to be a balance but I like to throw 1 or 2 on something else, hence why i like two blight batteries in my army. I think once you get past 255 of your amry focusing on blight you start to struggle to generate enough damage yourself to counteract the blight removal of Daqan.

What are peoples thoughts?

i like having a pair of lancers loafing around, theyre cheap and not only apply blights automatically but can of course use them for mortal strikes.

However i find 2-3 archers to actually do more work, even w/o CI, because they can fire into combat and the lancers flatout cant. Ive had a few times where i fired into combat at someone trying to do an init7 attack with the hit mod, applied blight, and ended up making their attack weaker in the end as a result. Dont forget they have a surge modifier, if you equip CI they can in theory apply 4 blights to a single target (1red, 2blue, 1dial mod) and it guarantees one will go through regardless of the roll (really wish they gave us more than 1 copy of the dang card though)

Still have yet to actually get a mortal strike from the lancers or Ardus near a lancer yet, my target always manages to remove the blight before i actually roll the bloody surge to cause any strikes. But i have negated tons of attack dice and i think thats just as powerful. The other of course being im forcing the opponent to clear them in whatever way they can, meaning less attacks or movements.

I have a counter punch "I don't care about how much blight you give me" build ready to go.

It's not fully viable until the heavy crossbowman or latari elves come out. But when they do I will be sharing with my fellow Daqan players and all you waqair players will be in tears wishing you had kept your Daqan units instead of selling them and your soul to the undead hordes :)

Enjoy the Blight while it lasts.

I don't go above 2 2x1-CI archers. I've found slowing the enemy down only gets so far. At some point I have to actually kill something.

I do like 2 2x1-CI archers and 2 1x1-Rank Discipline Carrion Lancers. I've had great luck applying mortal wounds to Golems, Kari (if I pin her down), and Cav. The spearmen end up just getting blighted into impotence and then they manage to survive

Edited by Church14

With all the blight going around has anyone tried the support carrion lancer, simultaneous orders and death caller on 3x2 reanimates to back up the archers? Seems like a nice way to get a blight and then some wounds straight through

Support lancer actually functions pretty well due to the reanimate dial allowing them to move + skill. Lancer's issue on their own is they have to use their primary dial for their skill, which is slow and they dont move before it goes off to help solidify it working. Generally you can get 2 blights off before a charge happens if you position yourself, perhaps a 3 if someone misjudges a distance and misses the charge. Honestly the only reason i'd suggest against this right now is number of lancers you have. You want atleast 1 lancer around if you have Ardus, i finally got a game in where he charged someone with a blight token that had a lancer nearby and it was horrendous (also it was cavalry lol).
Lancers themselves are pretty deadly too, especially in a pair so they actually have threat. Not many people have more than 2 of these atm and if you put one in the reanimates your other is basically just a surge ability feeder for ardus.

If you want more mobile Lancers, you can do a 2*1 setup (with Ardus) and give them wind Runes and Simultaneous Orders, this will let you either; Spit -> Shift X -> Reorient -> Move 3 or Shift X -> Reorient -> Spit -> Move 3.

It costs a total of 35 pts but makes for a heavy hitter with a lot of mobility that can move about the battle field, pretty much target what it wants and move out of the way before it gets hit.

Has anyone tried a 2x1 unit of archers with Wind Runes and Combat Ingenuity? Waiqar have so few units with equipment upgrades I haven't really seen how this might play out? Can it get your archers into play earlier yet without being threatened?

12 hours ago, Thornoo1 said:

Has anyone tried a 2x1 unit of archers with Wind Runes and Combat Ingenuity? Waiqar have so few units with equipment upgrades I haven't really seen how this might play out? Can it get your archers into play earlier yet without being threatened?

I tried it on a 2x2. It was okay, but it was my first full 200 point game, so I made some mistakes. And my opponent had four 2x1 units of Oathsworn Cavalry w/ Rank Discipline, so my archers didn't stand a chance, even with Wind Rune. One good charge, and we were locked down.

3 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I tried it on a 2x2. It was okay, but it was my first full 200 point game, so I made some mistakes. And my opponent had four 2x1 units of Oathsworn Cavalry w/ Rank Discipline, so my archers didn't stand a chance, even with Wind Rune. One good charge, and we were locked down.

As always the local meta, i.e. what your friends take, impacts on the effectiveness of unit choices.

On 6/13/2017 at 7:30 PM, Asmo said:

I have a counter punch "I don't care about how much blight you give me" build ready to go.

It's not fully viable until the heavy crossbowman or latari elves come out. But when they do I will be sharing with my fellow Daqan players and all you waqair players will be in tears wishing you had kept your Daqan units instead of selling them and your soul to the undead hordes :)

Enjoy the Blight while it lasts.

I've got a match tonight against an opponent with a blight machine, and all the while Mauro is regenerating trays. What can I do?

On 6/17/2017 at 2:34 PM, Warpedstorm said:

With all the blight going around has anyone tried the support carrion lancer, simultaneous orders and death caller on 3x2 reanimates to back up the archers? Seems like a nice way to get a blight and then some wounds straight through

Check out Tvayumat's "Deathcaller Disco" List. It's murdered several nasty Hawthorne lists quite handidly, and did very well into my Waiqar.

42 minutes ago, Fritz66 said:

I've got a match tonight against an opponent with a blight machine, and all the while Mauro is regenerating trays. What can I do?

Bring Kari with her blue dice. Accuracy out Maro and then smash his block into nothing.