Marching Cornicen and Lance Corporal

By CastleRock, in Runewars Rules Questions

If you have these two upgrades on a spearman unit is this possible:

Reveal an initiative 8, speed 4 march and turn it -no penalty - using the marching cornicen. Then use the Lance Corporal to make the straight charge modifier white. That would get you a speed 4, turned charge.

Or could you only use a turned charge in this case? (In which case you would still get a speed 3 turned charge.)

Yep. That should work just fine.

The standard Charge modifier has zero impact on the shape of the template used, it just makes it so that whatever March or Shift you are doing triggers an attack on collision with the enemy. If that same march is using a turn template from a totally different effect, there is no mutual exclusion.

EDIT: As noted below, it would be a speed 3 turning charge, because there is no speed 4 turning template, but you could pull off an initiative 8, speed 4 straight charge, or a speed 3 charge at init 8.

Edited by Tvayumat

It would work. However because there is no 4 turn template it would default to a 3 turn anyway. This means that the Marching Cornicen isn't needed as a 4 march with charging turn (using Lance Corporal) would get you the same turn 3 charge result.

You could therefore take a different heraldry upgrade for an additional benefit. For example, for an additional point you could take Bull Pennon instead of Marching Cornicern to give your unit Impact 1.

I do love me the Lance Corporal. Attack with a Shield at I3 helps the spearmen a lot as a center unit.

14 minutes ago, stet2 said:

It would work. However because there is no 4 turn template it would default to a 3 turn anyway. This means that the Marching Cornicen isn't needed as a 4 march with charging turn (using Lance Corporal) would get you the same turn 3 charge result.

You could therefore take a different heraldry upgrade for an additional benefit. For example, for an additional point you could take Bull Pennon instead of Marching Cornicern to give your unit Impact 1.

It would be a speed 3 maneuver, yes, but there are advantages to charging at initiative 8.

There's a very good reason I'm excited about Death Knights with their init 9 march.

Also, Marching Cornicen is a music upgrade, rather than heraldry, and there aren't really *that* many options great options vying for that slot.

EDIT:

looking at it, I realize you could also just take Aggressive Cornicen and never have to worry about taking a charge modifier in the first place. I guess the combo IS pretty pointless outside of very specific circumstances, but now I'm on the lookout for that late turn charge.

Edited by Tvayumat

Doh! totally had a brain-freeze replacing a music for a heraldry.

My main point though was that because there was no template you didn't need the Marching Cornicern to do the late initiative turning charge.

I'm also looking forward to the Initiative 9 charge of the Death Knights.

They will have to be careful of the Oathsworn doing an initiative 7 March 4 with March 2 Modifier hitting them before they get their own charge off though. Admittedly the Oathsworn will get a panic token and won't be able to fight till the next turn but then if the Death Knights lose their charge neither will they.

4 minutes ago, stet2 said:

They will have to be careful of the Oathsworn doing an initiative 7 March 4 with March 2 Modifier hitting them before they get their own charge off though.

I use this a lot to keep flankers from charging the sides of my golem led deathstar. Then you can attack at 3 next round with the +1 defense. Not bad against a lot of things.

11 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

I use this a lot to keep flankers from charging the sides of my golem led deathstar. Then you can attack at 3 next round with the +1 defense. Not bad against a lot of things.

Yep. They can't even use File Leader to stop you doing it too since it's not a charge so they don't get to attack you.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, stet2 said:

Yep. They can't even use File Leader to stop you doing it too since it's not a charge so they don't get to attack you.

That's dirty. I'll have to watch out for that little trick.