Cancelled Cards -- Just to be Clear

By karat, in Middle-earth Quest

Between the rules and the FAQ 2.0, I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

1) Cancelled cards lose their type.

2) Cancelled cards special effects do not affect the next round.

3) So, the implication is that if I cancel a card and the next round I play the "If the opponent's card type matches the type he played the previous round" card, then I do *not* get the bonus because it is impossible to match the type of a previously cancelled card?

(I keep wanting to match the types, since there is no marker to remind me that the previous card was cancelled, so I just visually see the types appear to match and want to take the bonus.)

karat said:

Between the rules and the FAQ 2.0, I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

1) Cancelled cards lose their type.

2) Cancelled cards special effects do not affect the next round.

3) So, the implication is that if I cancel a card and the next round I play the "If the opponent's card type matches the type he played the previous round" card, then I do *not* get the bonus because it is impossible to match the type of a previously cancelled card?

(I keep wanting to match the types, since there is no marker to remind me that the previous card was cancelled, so I just visually see the types appear to match and want to take the bonus.)

As I understand it, canceled cards lose their type and special ability, and their final values are reduced to zero. So, answering your questions:

1) true

2) also true

3) also also true

Since the final values are reduced to zero, any bonuses from a previous card that was not canceled are not applied to the current card (which has been canceled).

For number 3, is "cancelled" considered a type? In other words, if I cancel my opponent's card and then the next card they play results in exhaustion (i.e. cancelled), does that count as both cards being the same "type"?

Thundercles said:

For number 3, is "cancelled" considered a type? In other words, if I cancel my opponent's card and then the next card they play results in exhaustion (i.e. cancelled), does that count as both cards being the same "type"?

I seriously doubt it. The anatomy of a combat card on p.28 indicates that a card is either Melee or Ranged. A canceled card is essentially blank except for its Strength Cost.

I agree with Macronx - it is stated somewhere (can of course not remember where) that a card's type is either "melee" or "ranged", or not a type. Which isn't a type in itself.