Lich King Waiqar Scheme

By Vineheart01, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

So looking at Ardus, i couldnt help but think he looked like the Lich King with antlers and dual axes instead of a claymore of epic frozen death. That made me want to make my Waiqar follow that idea, and i remember from cinema scenes his skeletal minions always had a frosty blue color for their bones.

Unlike my Daqan scheme this was really fast and easy, but it feels like its missing something and i initially made the cloak brown to match the bottom half but the Lich King has a deep blue cloak, so i may change that but im afraid it'll get lost in all the dark tones.

The image im getting the scheme from (armor, not bones)

8IhkQdy.jpg

Test subject front: (Before anyone asks, the thumb is a hereditary thing i didnt smash it)
Z2iAaLq.jpg

Test subject rear:
xXAQwgp.jpg

Any tips to improve this would be wonderful. Trying to avoid doing a mass of edging work like i am on the Daqan because thats kinda driving me nuts lol

Edited by Vineheart01

Looks good!

The only thing I would suggest is some

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Texture-Valhallan-Blizzard-24ML

for the base and then randomly splotch some pva glue on him an the base and sprinkle some

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Snow

around to add some frozen finishing touches. You can also get shake on snow from a model train store, it may be cheaper than citadel.

This video from 10:55 on will be a good example of what I mean.

Edited by flightmaster101

Yeah i had plans to do the PVA + Baking Soda trick for snow, but i didnt do it yet since i was expecting to keep painting the mini. Base, feet, and most of the upturned edges like top of the shield or shoulderpads would have snow on it.

may just buy that stuff to avoid the potential goofed up ratio, which ive done in the past and its really ugly if you dont get the ratios right lol

46 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah i had plans to do the PVA + Baking Soda trick for snow, but i didnt do it yet since i was expecting to keep painting the mini. Base, feet, and most of the upturned edges like top of the shield or shoulderpads would have snow on it.

may just buy that stuff to avoid the potential goofed up ratio, which ive done in the past and its really ugly if you dont get the ratios right lol

Also a little snow and battle damage can cover up those places on the mini you aren't completely happy with ;)

Figured out what he's missing....

A friggen Nerubian Lancer!

Image ref:

f6qz7La.jpg

ZsY0bPT.jpg 79UkFzI.jpg

fHn3LMl.jpg 5652NMs.jpg

Tried that citadel blizzard stuff. Have to say, i am not a fan. That stuff sticks to nothing except the brush and kinda looks odd. Didnt find anything to add a light powdered snow effect on the model sadly.

I almost mistook the Crypt Lord's shoulderpads as the carapace color. Both glad and annoyed i noticed it was actually the icy blue, glad because this looks awesome annoyed because i have NEVER done carapace armor before and making it look icy was not easy lol

Edited by Vineheart01

I like these alot, although i think you may need to fix his spear (it's bent, by the looks of it)

Yeah i tried to straighten it on several occasions, it holds straight (or bent the opposite way) long enough for me to think its good, then it does that again.

I kinda gave up on it lol. None of my spearmen gave me that much trouble, but this guy's lance....ugh...

2 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Tried that citadel blizzard stuff. Have to say, i am not a fan.

Vallejo also makes basing pastes. I am in the process of dumping my citadel stiff for Vallejo in general. Better quality for cheaper IMO.

2 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah i tried to straighten it on several occasions, it holds straight (or bent the opposite way) long enough for me to think its good, then it does that again.

I kinda gave up on it lol. None of my spearmen gave me that much trouble, but this guy's lance....ugh...

have you tried the hot water method? It'd a bit late now, but that may've worked.

9 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

Vallejo also makes basing pastes. I am in the process of dumping my citadel stiff for Vallejo in general. Better quality for cheaper IMO.

Armypainter for me, Citadel's lack of a dropper urk me as i feel like i waste soooo much paint when i need to mix things. The icy blue effect above was 3:1 white/blue followed by a drybrush of solid white into armypainter's blue tone wash, i couldnt have done that with Citadel as easily lol.

The only citadel color i still use is Evil Sunz Scarlet and Averast Sunset, since Armypainter's red and yellow are so thin its ridiculous. Generally use those when i need a solid red/yellow base coat, such as with my daqan armor.

And yeah i tried the hotwater thing initially, didnt doublecheck it before priming it and it went back to its bent shape. I think the lance is slightly thicker than the spearmen spears and since im treating it the same it might not be enough lol.

Meh, all i can do at this point is keep bending it and hope eventually it stays lol

Edited by Vineheart01

I wasn't totally sold until I saw that Lancer. Very nice!

Once i get my Waiqar army fully painted i'll get better pics in a properly lit area. Really need to figure out a light box, for some reason having 3 75watt equiv bulbs is producing the amount of light in the Lancer pic...
Or it could be my phone being dumb lol. My normal camera broke and i never bothered getting another one since i literally only used it for model pictures.

15 reanimates, 16 archers, Ardus, and a command box to go. Unless my hip really irritates me when im sitting at my art desk i'll probably get these done fairly quick since even that lancer only took me about 3hrs and i both was going into uncharted territory and painting a larger model lol. No trim to paint makes it much, much quicker :P

Looks sharp. Like the highlights on the lancer's lance and the color on the carrion worm is really nice. You definitely need some now on the carapace and the shoulders though!

I use the Valhallan blizzard for all of my Hoth minis for IA and I love it. Looks amazing - dries on really well. Built in layers it's a great and sticks in tufts of grass like a dream. There are some good tutorials on how to apply it and get it out of the pot with a little flat spreader.

Edited by docForsaken
7 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

There are some good tutorials on how to apply it and get it out of the pot with a little flat spreader.

secret weapon miniatures snow is fun to use, i did a whole army in another game with it. there are some challenges to it, but you can get the exact snow consistency you want. might be worth researching.