LCG format could use a change

By TylerTT, in Living Card Games

27 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

I think 4 cycles is enough. That is 2 years of packs, which is what Magic does. It has a cardpool of about (200 Core+330-440 Delux+240-480 Cycle=770-1120 total cards. That is pretty much equivalent to Magic in most ways.

Right now no new Netrunner cards have come out since last rotation, so that game is at a minimum of cards right now with five cycles. (132 Revised Core) + (4 x 55 Deluxes) + (57 Terminal Directive) + (5 x 120 Data Packs) = 1009 cards. Your math is way off.

I wouldn't really want to go smaller than that. L5R and AGOT have eight factions and so will likely have eight deluxes for a minimum mature card pool of approximately 1200 cards. And since a larger share of L5R/AGOT is going to be non-rotating, it's going to be a bit harder to produce the necessary differential in the card pool to keep things fresh...a more rapid rotation only shrinks the share of the card pool that actually is subject to rotation.

Just over 40% of the Netrunner card pool doesn't rotate. Assuming that L5R gets eight of the current 52-card deluxes, holding that game to only 4 cycles at a time would make 57% of the card pool static and unchanging. Hardly a boon to an evolving metagame.

13 hours ago, Grimwalker said:

Right now no new Netrunner cards have come out since last rotation, so that game is at a minimum of cards right now with five cycles. (132 Revised Core) + (4 x 55 Deluxes) + (57 Terminal Directive) + (5 x 120 Data Packs) = 1009 cards. Your math is way off.

I wouldn't really want to go smaller than that. L5R and AGOT have eight factions and so will likely have eight deluxes for a minimum mature card pool of approximately 1200 cards. And since a larger share of L5R/AGOT is going to be non-rotating, it's going to be a bit harder to produce the necessary differential in the card pool to keep things fresh...a more rapid rotation only shrinks the share of the card pool that actually is subject to rotation.

Just over 40% of the Netrunner card pool doesn't rotate. Assuming that L5R gets eight of the current 52-card deluxes, holding that game to only 4 cycles at a time would make 57% of the card pool static and unchanging. Hardly a boon to an evolving metagame.

I was talking in general. And Netrunner has less deluxe boxes than other LCGs. As well as less cards in deluxe. This makes their card Pool smaller by several hundred.

@Radix2309 Actually, AGoT 2nd has 52-card deluxes (1st ed had 55-card deluxes like Netrunner), so Netrunner doesn't have smaller deluxes (let alone significantly smaller deluxes like you're implying). The number of deluxes in game is a function of the number of factions in that game, and whether the game is asymmetrical (like Netrunner or Star Wars) or symmetrical (like the others)[1]. Symmetrical games get 1 deluxe per faction (so AGoT 1st ed had 6, AGoT 2nd will certainly end up with 8, and L5R will likely end up with 7[2]); asymmetrical games get 1 deluxe per 2 factions and some extras (Star Wars has a deluxe focused on multiplayer, Netrunner has Terminal Directive).

[1] Setting aside coop games, which get 1 deluxe for each cycle (and also don't have rotation).
[2] Unless new factions are introduced, but I think it unlikely (in other games, new factions were announced right in the Core Set).

6 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

I was talking in general. And Netrunner has less deluxe boxes than other LCGs. As well as less cards in deluxe. This makes their card Pool smaller by several hundred.

That’s exactly my point. With the larger pool of non rotating cards in other LCGs, reducing the number of legal cycles will cause the static portion of the card pool to be a proportionately larger share of the total.

That’s a bad thing.