Lore tidbits in the expansion "rules"

By Daverman, in Runewars Lore and History of Terrinoth

I know some people have been asking for the game to have more lore behind it but I haven't seen anyone mention the few paragraphs of lore they've given in the new expansion rules. It's not a lot, but there's some interesting stuff for people looking for more story or painting ideas:

1. The "Burned Dead", a unit of Reanimate Archers with charred black bones and armor, bandits who were burned alive for their crimes.

2. The "Shattered", another unit of Reanimate Archers who use fragments of Waiqar's bones in their arrowheads.

3. For the Oathsworn, they're generally knights and noble-born soldiers like you'd expect but there's mention of common-born cavaliers too, notably the Riverwatch Riders. I perked up at that as they're a unit in Battlelore 2nd Edition. They're more of a fast moving light cavalry in that game but their little excerpt in the rules mentions they're generally used as scouts but "are often equipped as heavy cavalry when the needs of war demand.".

I really like these small Lore strips!

I only have the 2 Command expansions and the Cavalry expansion so far. Seems like the stuff you posted came with the Archers Expansion. I might have to pick that up as well!

The Burned Dead thing is interesting... but the Riverwatch Riders are pretty much the same look as the art on the Oathsworn Cavalry card. I'm really hoping that we can get some heraldry for the rest of the Daqan Lords. I'm going to refer to my Warhammer Empire and Bretonnian army books for color ideas in the meantime.

Well, according to the Waiqar Infantry Command blurb, either there is a descending ladder of quality through which Reanimates are recycled, or the Death Knights are meant to be Death Born Legionnaires. I guess we'll find out when they arrive, but the insert says the lieutenant Reanimates are made from the essence of the Death Knights, and retain more of their martial prowess than the standard Reanimate.

Ankaur Maro refers to the:

Universities of Greyhaven, magic schools

Secretive circle of dark sorcerers

The Shadow Council