Grand Tier List for IA Skirmish (To be updated as new Waves emerge)

By theaficionado, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Chewie is very good on Jabba's and Anchorhead (new map is coming soon though) but I think he struggles more on Nal Hutta. But on the Shield Generator mission he can hold down one objective basically the whole game so that does add up with obj. points.

*BUMP*

The list has now been updated to include Wave IX. Heart of the Empire + Wave X will be updated later this week.

I still see rHKs quite regularly in lists with 2 eWeequays + HKs. They are definitely not as good as the eWeequays, but they are better than most other things. I'd still have them at Tier II.

Chopper is really great. I see him at least 10 times as often as R2. He is in every Rebels list I make myself. To me, it is a question of R2 or Chopper, and R2 is just to slow on the current maps. Chopper is Tier I on my list, R2 just Tier III.

I wish they made more stuff to make low cost troopers more viable.

This is a really cool bit of research you've posted. Thanks for doing so much work on it.

9 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

This is a really cool bit of research you've posted. Thanks for doing so much work on it.

You're welcome! :)

Stay tuned. Heart of the Empire + Wave X coming today! (I'm based in Australia, so the release is actually today).

Awesome update. Great work! Looking forward to the next ones!

I dunno how I missed this thread until now. It is pretty neat. From reading it I guess elite Echo Base Troopers and C-3PO would be the core of my Hoth themed rebel list. Course I am gonna paint Saska in Hoth uniform colors and take along a Wampa....

On 10/11/2017 at 4:55 AM, TylerTT said:

I wish they made more stuff to make low cost troopers more viable.

I agree. The points imbalance is just weirdly against taking lots of average guys. A million faceless stormtroopers commanded by a leader of some sort should be viable at least in home games but it's just obviously sucky to use the models that way. Some criticisms of models are unfounded for home play. Such as "it's never worth taking this person instead of Obi-Wan". Well I don't own Obi-Wan and I theme my lists so my models look "right" together. But with elite vs. average squads of soldiery, such personal justifications fall apart even in friendly games. Since obviously if I have the average models, I have their elite counterpart, and they still fit the theme either way.

And done. Heart of the Empire is now updated. Let me know what you guys think! :)

8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I agree. The points imbalance is just weirdly against taking lots of average guys. A million faceless stormtroopers commanded by a leader of some sort should be viable at least in home games but it's just obviously sucky to use the models that way. Some criticisms of models are unfounded for home play. Such as "it's never worth taking this person instead of Obi-Wan". Well I don't own Obi-Wan and I theme my lists so my models look "right" together. But with elite vs. average squads of soldiery, such personal justifications fall apart even in friendly games. Since obviously if I have the average models, I have their elite counterpart, and they still fit the theme either way.

I also agree with this one. For an example of when this was well done, take a look at Alliance Rangers. Both the Regulars and the Elites seem reasonably costed, and both have their merits. Before they were released, I actually thought the regulars may end up getting the nod over the elites (turns out Pierce 1 was the deal breaker). Even with that said, I sometimes consider the Regulars in teams I make, because they're fine units on their own.

As I just updated in my article, I think the Regular Riot Troopers are also pretty solid. I think if they were 4 points instead of 5 (so it was a 4 v 7 comparison, like Jet Troopers), they would have been outstanding. As they are, they're still in the good range, but I think the amount of upgrades you get for 2 points is just too much. These guys were very close, and at least I don't look at the regulars and think "Gee, they're garbage".

Here's hoping they print more "cheap troopers matter" type cards.

Just noticed something:

Trusted Ally (Tier II) *NEW*

This is an amazing upgrade, especially given the fact that you can have a group of Trusted Allies (like Sentry Droids).

Trusted Ally is a Unique card, so you can't have more than one. As much as I'd love to put Trusted Ally on two groups of Sentry Droids.

9 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

Just noticed something:

Trusted Ally is a Unique card, so you can't have more than one. As much as I'd love to put Trusted Ally on two groups of Sentry Droids.

I think he just means that Trusted Ally will apply to all units in a multi-unit group.

1 minute ago, Stompburger said:

I think he just means that Trusted Ally will apply to all units in a multi-unit group.

Oh, dur. Thanks for correcting me.

Great updates with HotE, good work!

Any chance of posting a version that's sorted by tier (like most tier lists are) instead of by wave?

8 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Any chance of posting a version that's sorted by tier (like most tier lists are) instead of by wave?

What if I post a quick version at the top that's sorted by Tier? If you really wanted to find a particular unit, you can then just CTRL + F it?

On 5/25/2017 at 8:48 PM, theaficionado said:

In another thread, some players lamented over the lack of a comprehensive and current tier list. I ended up making one and posting it into that thread, and many quite enjoyed it. I've been asked to make a new thread for it, which is exactly what this is.

Setup and choosing forces is by far the most intimidating part of this to the people I've tried to show the game to. I forsee this ranking being very useful for making pairs of fun but fair, pre-generated pairs of lists for newbies to use. I am copy/pasting this into a google doc that sorts them by faction instead of wave and deleting the ones I don't have.

Thanks again for your work making this. While a lot of it will wind up subject to opinion I think it is a great place to start.

3 hours ago, theaficionado said:

What if I post a quick version at the top that's sorted by Tier? If you really wanted to find a particular unit, you can then just CTRL + F it?

I want it sorted by tier so I can look at all the units in a specific tier, and since you used I II and III instead of actual numerals, ctrl+f is kind of painful here.

6 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I want it sorted by tier so I can look at all the units in a specific tier, and since you used I II and III instead of actual numerals, ctrl+f is kind of painful here.

Excellent point. Noted. I'll change the roman numerals into numbers and add a quick summary sorted by tier at the top.

26 minutes ago, theaficionado said:

Excellent point. Noted. I'll change the roman numerals into numbers and add a quick summary sorted by tier at the top.

you are awesome

Edited by Tvboy
Just now, Tvboy said:

you are awesome

I've actually just decided to organise everything by Tier instead of Wave. It's going to take a little bit of rewriting and a lot of fiddling, but I'd rather it be easier/better to read.

I found a decent use for motivation. I had it on shyla who would whip a unit past a gamorean who would parting blow, and then i would use motivation to immediately clear the stun.

1 hour ago, theaficionado said:

I've actually just decided to organise everything by Tier instead of Wave. It's going to take a little bit of rewriting and a lot of fiddling, but I'd rather it be easier/better to read.

Best list in the web now improved. You have my fingers up

And done. It's now been reorganised by tier and faction, and all the Roman numerals have been replaced with numbers.