SO, You want to Paint some TIE Fighters... (PICS BACK!)

By Drasnighta, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Have 'em. In this environment, can't stand 'em.

Vallejos come in them, and basically, they clog up to the point I'm having to remove the inner dropped nib to get any paint out of them...

Certainly, the older GW Paint pots were terrible. The newest ones they use are rubber-topped and re-seal. They also have a nib on the back so you can flip the pot lid open and it'll stay up - giving you a small pool of paint to draw from without having to dive into the pot...

Its the best of both words for me.

But certainly droppers can work for other people.

The main reason why I use GW paints is reliability. I can go in, pick them up, and if there's anything wrong with them, I can throw them at the manager until they're replaced. I cannot do that with any of the other brands

My P3 pots are the worst. They are the ones that have a simple plastic flap lid, which constantly breaks off its retaining ring, so I end up with separate lids to pots...

Part of my Mixing Secret - is the fact that my pallets are transparent and over a 1cm grid... So I can see how much to mix that way, if nothing else...

If I were in an environment more conducive to actual painting (ie, somewhere with even moderate humidity), I'd use Dropper bottles and a Wet Pallete more often. But I hve not been able to wet-blend here for 8 years now....... Which is why I keep my painting at this level, which just about anyone can approach :)

Edited by Drasnighta

Another comment I received from another place was "You should build a Lightbox to photograph your painting work in."

I have built 3 in the last 12 months. The problem is, having a lightbox that's placed somewhere easy to use is one thing - keeping a certain little man from turning said lightbox into a Paw Patrol Tower, or a Power Rangers Command Station, and then staging a "Bad-Guy" invasion that completely destroying it?

Well, 3 times, I havn't found a solution to that so far :)

Light boxes is much work for pictures of our little starships (screw that).

Tie inner spokes are just evil things that lead nowhere good, only pain and frustration. I've seen some folks do really good ones, but the effort to get them straight and consistent is really not worth it at this scale (imo). It is an exercise in insanity really.

Edited by Darthain
25 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Light boxes is much work for pictures of our little starships (screw that).

Tie inner spokes are just evil things that lead nowhere good, only pain and frustration. I've seen some folks do really good ones, but the effort to get them straight and consistent is really not worth it at this scale (imo). It is an exercise in insanity really.

Its actually how I keep myself Sane ;)

You have some strange definitions there Dras.

So, on the news - if I get the available time, I just managed to prime up a bunch of Rebels, so I might show the process for them in a week or so, if people are interested....

3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

So, on the news - if I get the available time, I just managed to prime up a bunch of Rebels, so I might show the process for them in a week or so, if people are interested....

Very much so

On 6/23/2017 at 5:38 PM, Drasnighta said:

Rebel Tie Fighters? What is this, X-Wing?

What type of fighters though? I've yet to paint quite a few of them.

Edited by Undeadguy
Just now, Undeadguy said:

Rebel Tie Fighters? What is this, X-Wing?

What type of fighters though? I've yet to paint quite a few of them.

Well - Its a whole Rebel Fighter I pack for a client, which will be a mix of Basic + Hero. But I also have some Rebels from the R&V pack from my own collection, too.

So it'll kinda be "Everything goes." Or "anything" goes. Or maybe "something" goes... Or not. Last week sucked, this next week doesn't look much better at the moment, but again...

18 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Well - Its a whole Rebel Fighter I pack for a client, which will be a mix of Basic + Hero. But I also have some Rebels from the R&V pack from my own collection, too.

So it'll kinda be "Everything goes." Or "anything" goes. Or maybe "something" goes... Or not. Last week sucked, this next week doesn't look much better at the moment, but again...

All I can say is if you do some sort of tutorial like this on TIEs I will happily read it.

On 6/26/2017 at 2:06 PM, Drasnighta said:

I'd be interested for sure. Might give me ideas how to do Rebels outside of one REALLY pretty fighter, and a bunch of ones that I did in leadbelcher and kind of half-assed. ? Although they do have that shoddy, state of disrepair feel that way…

Very nice tutorial indeed.

On 5/25/2017 at 4:49 PM, Drasnighta said:

Yep. The single hardest point for us to overcome as critiques of our own work, is we've spent the past 'X' amount of hours looking at these things three inches from our noses, and taking pictures that blows up all of the details 600x to show us how pathetic we are.

But 90% of the time, a Miniature is viewed at a length of at least three Feet... The shortest one should critique a model at is the length of your arm straight out in front of you... Look at it there, because that's the minimal distance and focal point you'll view it at for the rest of your life, basically :D

So I'm back on this thread to throw a thanks in your direction @Drasnighta , I was encouraged to try painting my Tie Interceptors and Tie Bombers, I think they turned out great. Pictures to flood this thread soon lol

Have 3 days off from graveyards midweek, will be attempting to have a rebel tutorial at least started then.

On 10/22/2017 at 0:48 AM, Drasnighta said:

Have 3 days off from graveyards midweek, will be attempting to have a rebel tutorial at least started then.

I look forward to seeing it your very good at proceduralizing ( I know bad engrish) the process that you go through. Making it easy to follow and replicate, very logical. I appreciate the effort you put into this.

I am actually going to wait until you put this out before I start mine. Love your work! :)

Did the rebel tutorial get finished? Is it a different thred?

11 minutes ago, Fallenwolf15 said:

Did the rebel tutorial get finished? Is it a different thred?

Not yet. It will be a new thread, but links will be here.

Christmas and overnight retail replenishment has meant a lot of graveyard shifts. This coupled with getting a new place and still having to work during the day as well looking after my boy had meant in the past 3 weeks I e had 2 hours of hobbytime, and 1 of those was making ship trays for sale so I can fuel mu car ?

its coming, it’s started, I just have to finish it, format and post it.

Thank you! I'm really excited about it.

On 2017-12-17 at 2:37 AM, Fallenwolf15 said:

Thank you! I'm really excited about it.

As promised

My take on 181st

26841471_1798701523538310_28691999280103

I'm pretty lazy. Grey primer and black wash gets you halfway home. I do the engines with white and blue glaze. You can finish the panels with black paint freehand because the tight corners are done from the wash. TIEs are way easier than Rebel stuff.

It is a constant struggle to keep the pics online.... I will investigate a “hopefully free” permanent solution...

On 11/02/2018 at 9:28 AM, Drasnighta said:

It is a constant struggle to keep the pics online.... I will investigate a “hopefully free” permanent solution...

That would be appreciated, I’m just about to take the plunge and pick up a brush.

Its been about 20 years...

1 minute ago, ISD Avenger said:

That would be appreciated, I’m just about to take the plunge and pick up a brush.

Its been about 20 years...

Thursday night local I’m going to temp transfer everything to imgur and rework the links.

Edited by Drasnighta