Any Thrones players in/near Shakopee, MN?

By ASoIaFfan, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Hello all,

My Thrones group seems to have lost interest in the game. They are fine fellows, but in the past few months they prefer to play board games and miniatures based war games instead of Thrones. I love to play but finding a game has gotten harder and harder over the last few months. I noticed there are some people who play in Cambridge, but that is a bit too far for me. So, anyone in my area who are interested in playing Thrones? Willing to teach/assist with deck building if needed.

I like to play cards from all eras (all the way back to Westeros), but am willing to play any format if that helps.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from some folks soon.

Respectfully,

ASoIaFfan

Sorry to hear the Shakopee group has broken up. Yes, Cambridge is a bit of a drive must be close to 90 minutes to our store and we don't really run organized events for Thrones, just the leagues at current. Our players like to play boardgames and other stuff as well, so the casual structure of the league is what works for us.

If no one responds, I'd keep eyes on the FFG Events Center, opening in three weeks. Roseville is still about 30+ minutes away for you, but is definitely closer than our store. There should be someplaygroups, or even OP, going on there after they open. At least, there will be if they are smart.

If you ever can find the time to come up to our store, me a line first (I'll send you a friend request, or else try and get my attention in the forums). We can try to arrange it so that there are a few of us around to play. I'm 99% always at the store Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sat evenings, and also on alot of my days off from my day job as a mailman. But I hope that you can find some players in your immediate area to help keep your interest in the game. Is the local shop still around? Can you hold some demo events to try and get some new players? The Core Set reprint should be available soon.

Thanks for the response, JJ.

Appreciate your tip about the FFG Events Center. I did not know about that until you brought it to my attention. I'll be looking for it.

I hope I can find some interested folks in my area as well. To be clear, it's not that *I* have lost interest, it's that seemingly everyone else who I used to play with has. The local shop is still around, with some of the old usual suspects (though many have stopped showing up, or show up very infrequently so one can never count on a game being available). I'd be willing to hold some demo events if I can gather enough interest. Perhaps when the Core Set reprints become available that may help. Heck, if Martin would ever release the next book that may help too (I wouldn't even be into this game if not for the books, and think a new book may spark some folks who are laying back at the moment).

In any event, thanks again for your feedback and advice. I hope this great game doesn't die in my area. It boggles me when I see dozens of people playing "Magic", but I can't find *one* person to play Thrones with on a regular basis (I used to game on Saturday nights). I'm not knocking "Magic. Some folks seem to like it and I'm all for having fun. It's just I've tried it and feel Thrones is much more enjoyable for my tastes. Thinking about it, that's actually a big part of the problem. Not many people even know what Thrones is or have played it, but most will know what "Magic" is.

Ahh well, I digress. I will end here.

I understand. Magic is still THE ccg, and most everyone plays it or at least knows about it. Thrones is something that people need to be exposed to, and at our store we've done alot over the last 4-5 years to promote and expose the game, even had some of the designers from FFG up to play.

At present, I'm looking to set up a serious GoT tournament. We've been doing alot of casual playing up here, even in the league, and I think it's time we started to focus again on serious decks and gaming. When I figure out when, I'll let you know.

Thanks, JJ. Anything you put together would be LCG only, correct? I'm OK with that, but just checking. Only thing I don't like about that is the plot selection, but I can live with it. Namely, I don't like that the search plots in LCG help your opponent as well. I miss the old search plots that were self applicable only.

At this point any Thrones is better than no Thrones, though.

In my experience "Magic" seems to appeal to the younger crowd. Maybe that's why it's such a big 800lb gorilla in the card game world.

We've pretty much stopped playing anything except LCG up here, and I don't tend to use the search plosw anyway because of the limitation (though in melee events, I don't have as big a problem). I actaully think now that the princes expansion is availbale, there is a decent enough selection of plots for just about any build, but that is just my opinion.

I agree with you with the exception of the search plots. I know they are targeted toward melee, but I wish we had joust versions of those plots as well for characters and locations. I'd also like to see one for attachment search (like "spending the winter stores" or "scouring the vault"). I like to have the option to add search to my decks because I find it makes them play more consistent. I like consistency if I can get it.

I still feel the LCG needs more plots, but agree that we at least have enough now to make some decent decks with variety in them. Keep me posted if you manage to put anything together and I'll see if I can't find a way to participate.

Anyone else having problems to send PM's via the site? I accepted a friend request from Nate and was asked to shoot him a PM. I've tried several times but always get an error:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0006'

Overflow: 'CInt'

/edge_comunidad_perfil_ami_email.asp, line 19

Nate, if you read this, I haven't ignored you and I am interested. Once this error can be resolved I'll be sure to send you the requested information.

Thanks!

Did you get your letter out? I sent one to Tiziano yesterday, and he wrote me back today, so I don't know what the problem is.

Nope. Still doesn't work for me. Received an e-mail from someone at FFG saying they are looking into the error and hope to have a resolution soon. I'm using Firefox as my browser, but tried it with Internet Explorer as well in case it was a browser issue. I have the problem in both cases.

Pfft i take a little break...

The Shakopee group is not dead i say! We just need some new blood is all! Anyhow ill try to have a new deck if i can make it this week and we will have a game or two.

Glad to hear you are interested in returning, Vinter. No offense, but our group has indeed been dead for a long time now. Doesn't mean it can't be resurrected at some point, but as far as a regular group like we used to have, that hasn't existed for months.

New blood would certainly help, as it helps any game. I've been looking but so far no success. Not giving up, though. Still on the lookout, and still willing to help anyone who has even a passing interest to learn and play the game.

Hope to see you with your deck(s) next Saturday. Maybe we can spark a mini-revival!

ASoIaFfan,

I've been meaning to comment in here for about a week, and then Vintner shows me up by posting. HOpe all is well, and looking forward to my next chance to stop in and say hello. Take care y'all. Winter is Coming.

Good to hear from you, Luke. Would be great to see you if you can make the time. Winter is already here far as I can tell.

The game wasnt dead at the store, people just got a bit burnt out. Those people being mostly, well, me. It happens all the time at a store, games have highs and lows as people over play them. Its getting to the point where AGoT should be on the up swing now.

Actually, you've been away Vinter, so you didn't realize that it wasn't just you. James, Rob, Jeff, Mike, Wayne...all became scarce. We'll see if that changes soon as you seem to think it will. I hope you are right.