Wind Golems

By CastleRock, in Runewars List Building

I am really taken with the idea of Golems with a wind rune (especially when running with a channeller and Lord Hawthorne to refresh the channeller):

• can move at initiative 3, very probably 2 speed and with a good chance of speed 3, depending on how lucky the channeller gets.
  • can move and reform followed by rally (early on to build up inspiration, or later to shift blight) or defend (as get closer in to enemy)
  • if enemy are trying to avoid or outflank them they can shift sideways and collide, reform (so are then flanking for next round's attack) and rally to get rid of the panic token from the collision
  • or you may be able to get the jump on close-up cavalry before they charge - Init 3 Sp 3 beats their 3/2 or 4/3 options; even a golem at 3/2 may beat them if you get to go first. Again you can reform if you need to and get rid of the panic token.
  • if you get a fear 3 (flee in terror) you can shift 2 or 3 and reform, plus rally/defend - to either end up where you were, or shift sideways to avoid the enemy's inevitable follow-up charge.
  • gives you more options and means your opponent will find it much harder to predict what you will do, which has to be good (and scary for them!)

Does that seem like a good use of 6 points? Does to me.

Edited by CastleRock
extra idea
On 5/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, CastleRock said:

Does that seem like a good use of 6 points? Does to me.

There's not many units that I'd consider Wind Rune a waste of points on. Golems are high up on my list of units that benefit from it.

I'd be tempted to give them the Raven Tabards if there was a Channeler arround to help get good red runes. That opens up the possibility of a Charge 4 at initiative 3. There's not much that will be moving out of their way once a charge is lined up, especially if your first player that round.

You said it! To get a 56 point unit into combat, charging first - definitely worth the two points. So far people have often been able to avoid RGs because of lack of speed and mobility. This combo would make them truly a thing to be feared.

12 minutes ago, CastleRock said:

You said it! To get a 56 point unit into combat, charging first - definitely worth the two points. So far people have often been able to avoid RGs because of lack of speed and mobility. This combo would make them truly a thing to be feared.

March two and reform at initiative 7 in one round to aim, and then blast into their flank early the next if you can. I think that the first time someone catches an early charge 4 to their flanks it will come as a bit of a surprise.

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

March two and reform at initiative 7 in one round to aim, and then blast into their flank early the next if you can. I think that the first time someone catches an early charge 4 to their flanks it will come as a bit of a surprise.

I look forward to trying it out!