Transitioning into a Priest of Ranald

By Ikosan, in WFRP House Rules

Hi Guys,

So I have a player who's transitioning into an Priest of Ranald after taking two rogue careers first (thief and smuggler). He's concerned that over the course of his two rogue careers he's picked up lots of Reputation talents that he has no slots for now in the initiate career (the first priest one), which just has slots for focus and faith. I suggested he replace focus with reputation but he also has lots of focus talents (i think stealth checks rely a lot on them) that will go to waist if so.

I noticed something in the players guide on page 47 where its talking about acquiring a talent outside the character's current career (costing 2 advances):

"If Beth wishes to acquire a focus talent (Roadwarden has tactic and reputation slots) it will cost her 2 advances"

So it lets you acquire a talent outside of your career but does that mean you can equip it as well? Is there anyway of "buying" a slot for advances? If not it seems a lot of the thiefy reputation talents are useless when you become a priest of ranald because you no longer have the slots for them.

Legally I know only one way. The player should get "Creative Thinking" [Focus] talent that allows him to equip any other talent he has aquired.
But personally I just don't understand all that talent madness with WFRP 3ed, especially having in mind that there are not that many truly useful talents at all. I have houseruled for my games that any player always has 100% access to all talents he has aquired during his entire play.

As a houserule for my group I have created the following talents to deal with the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xia7791le1ewr2k/ExtraTalents.jpg?dl=0

In short, I allow players to buy extra talent slots for a talent advance and I made "creative" talents for all the different talent types. Feel free to use them if you want.