Double ISDs vs. Madine Liberty

By Democratus, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Inspired by @Darth Sanguis 's list I decided to try it out in a game against my Rebel scum friend. I want to start by thanking Darth for his advice on maneuver and placement with this fleet. It really did help me get my bearings.

Sadly I don't have many pictures of the battle. We decided to have a bit to drink before (and during) the battle. So we lost track of our record-keeping responsibilities. :)

The list I flew was a direct "yoink" from Sanguis.

Objectives: Station Assault, Contested Outpost, Solar Corona

ISD II - (Screed, Avenger, Needa, Gunnery Team, ECM, TRC, SW 7)

ISD II - (Chart Officer, Gunnery Team, ECM, XI-7, Overload Pulse)

Gozanti Cruiser - (Repair Crews)

Gozanti Cruiser - (Repair Crews)

My opponent flew a Madine/MC80L list:

MC80 Battle Cruiser - (Madine, Mon Karren, Lando, Gunnery Team, Engine Techs, XI7, Spinal Armament, Leading Shots)

CR90 - (Jaina's Light, Ahsoka Tano, Engine Techs, TRC)

CR90 - (Engine Techs, TRC)

GR-75 Transport - (Bright Hope, Slicer Tools)

Squadrons: 4x YT-2400

I had the bid and thought that maybe I should go 2nd so that I could get my objectives.

My opponent chose "Station Assault". This proved to be my undoing. That mission is difficult to win against fast, hard-hitting enemies.

However, my ships performed admirably!

Here is a picture from turn 3. My "overload pulse" ISD has leapt forward to block the enemy MC80 from firing and then running away.

Turn 3: The pile-in

I lost the ISD to concentrated ship/squadron fire and ramming. Not before it was able to use the overload pulse to exhaust all of the MC80s defense tokens. I then destroyed both the MC80 and the slicer flotilla in a single turn with Avenger. BOOM!I think the list is solid - I just had a bad objective.

By the end of the game here was the score:

• Rebel losses: MC80 (179), Flotilla (27) - TOTAL: 206
  • Imperial losses: ISD II (150), Flotilla (27), 2x Stations (80) - TOTAL: 257

I ended up ahead on ship kills - but the two corvettes drove around back and killed the stations.

Great game!

Edited by Democratus
4 minutes ago, Democratus said:

Inspired by @Darth Sanguis 's list I decided to try it out in a game against my Rebel scum friend. I want to start by thanking Darth for his advice on maneuver and placement with this fleet. It really did help me get my bearings.

Sadly I don't have many pictures of the battle. We decided to have a bit to drink before (and during) the battle. So we lost track of our record-keeping responsibilities. :)

The list I flew was a direct "yoink" from Sanguis.

ISD II - (Screed, Avenger, Needa, Gunnery Team, ECM, TRC, SW 7)

How'd it go?

:D

Oops. I was trying to reduce the space between lines by using "CTRL + ENTER" but instead it submitted the page. So it posted when I was only partly done typing!

Some analysis from the game:

Having now played a battle with this fleet, I feel the Avenger build is very strong. The TRC and SW 7 means that it puts out a frightening amount of damage.

I managed to stave off disaster for a while by using Repair Crews on one of the two stations. But I wasn't able to bring my surviving ISD around in time to stop the corvettes and the YT-2400s.

If I had been able to tie up the squadrons I would have been able to stop 4 damage on my ISD and 4 damage on one of the stations.

Edited by Democratus

Dual ISD PTs take lots and lots of practice to get the hang of, (at least they did for me) and against an opponent of high skill are not an easy way to play, but I tell ya, nothing is more satisfying than getting them to work.

If you enjoyed getting that sweet sweet PT but want a more balanced fleet look into replacing the OP ISD with an interdictor, VSD, or a couple of Raiders Being lower in points they could allow a small contingent of squadrons... I've had a small measure of success (mostly untested though) with these builds:

Sanguine night
Author: Darth Sanguis

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Screed

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
- Admiral Screed ( 26 points)
- Avenger ( 5 points)
- Captain Needa ( 2 points)
- Gunnery Team ( 7 points)
- Electronic Countermeasures ( 7 points)
- Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ( 7 points)
- SW 7 Ion Batteries ( 5 points)
= 179 total ship cost

Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85 points)
- Minister Tua ( 2 points)
- X17 Turbolasers ( 6 points)
- Overload Pulse ( 8 points)
= 115 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
- Jamming Field ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost

- Comms Net ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost

5 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 40 points)

Or maybe

Blue Harvest
Author: Darth Sanguis

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Screed

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
- Admiral Screed ( 26 points)
- Avenger ( 5 points)
- Captain Needa ( 2 points)
- Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ( 7 points)
- SW 7 Ion Batteries ( 5 points)
= 179 total ship cost

Interdictor-class Combat Refit (93 points)
- Minister Tua ( 2 points)
- Engine Techs ( 8 points)
- Overload Pulse ( 8 points)
= 118 total ship cost

- Jamming Field ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost

- Comms Net ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost

2 TIE Advanced Squadrons ( 24 points)
3 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 24 points)

The Overload/Avenger is awesome when it works. That's for sure. :)

It's a lot of overhead. Screed is there essentially for a single weapon on a single ship - which feels pretty extravagant.

I wonder if a bomber wing might be used on a target ship to force token exhaustion? Maybe once we have Sloane it will change things up.

I did enjoy the Repair Crews. They removed a couple of crippling criticals from Avenger during the game. And one flotilla managed to survive several turns of fire due to self-repair.

9 minutes ago, Democratus said:

The Overload/Avenger is awesome when it works. That's for sure. :)

It's a lot of overhead. Screed is there essentially for a single weapon on a single ship - which feels pretty extravagant.

I wonder if a bomber wing might be used on a target ship to force token exhaustion? Maybe once we have Sloane it will change things up.

I did enjoy the Repair Crews. They removed a couple of crippling criticals from Avenger during the game. And one flotilla managed to survive several turns of fire due to self-repair.

If you look up my profile on warlords I have lots of PT lists, look up one called "bad choices" It's a damage tap like you just described.... I've only used it once but it tabled my opponent

Shift and enter

42 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

If you look up my profile on warlords I have lots of PT lists, look up one called "bad choices" It's a damage tap like you just described.... I've only used it once but it tabled my opponent

Just looked at your Warlords builds.

Good lord, you love Screed! :D

7 minutes ago, Democratus said:

Just looked at your Warlords builds.

Good lord, you love Screed! :D

Yes I do! lol

I'm all about cutting uncertainty out of the game. SW-7s, TRCs, Screed.... these are some of my favorite tools lol

Just now, Darth Sanguis said:

Yes I do! lol

I'm all about cutting uncertainty out of the game. SW-7s, TRCs, Screed.... these are some of my favorite tools lol

I'll admit, your Avenger build is the most fun I've had playing an ISD. It really feels like a battleship with all the raw damage it dishes out.

I'm gonna work on several builds centered on that monster. Thanks so much for sharing!

5 minutes ago, Democratus said:

I'll admit, your Avenger build is the most fun I've had playing an ISD. It really feels like a battleship with all the raw damage it dishes out.

I'm gonna work on several builds centered on that monster. Thanks so much for sharing!

No problem! Yeah, it's a killer. Expensive though. Very hard to maintain balance in a fleet with near 1/2 it's point dumped into a single ship.