2x Interdictor Game

By Artifixprime, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

I've been really interested to try out a double Interdictor list for a while as I wanted to try out all the toys and see if you could do well. Apologies for the picture quality - poor lighting.

My List (not all that optimised) (Jerjerrod)

• Interdictor Suppression Refit (+ Title): Engine Techs, Q7 Tractor Beams, G-8, G7-X
  • Interdictor Suppression Refit: Engine Techs, Q7 Tractor Beams, G7-X, Grav Shift Reroute
  • Victory 2: Expanded Hangers, Spinal Armament
  • Rhymer, TIE Bombers x3

Missions: Blockade Run, Hyperspace Assault, Navigational Hazards

Opposing list: (Screed)

• ISD2: Avenger, Spinal,
  • Raider1: Overload Pulse
  • Raider1: Overlaod Pulse
  • Aquitens: Enhanced Armament, RBD
  • Whisper, Ciena Ree, Valen Rudor

I had the bid and chose to go second - we played Blockade Run.

It's worth saying that my mate admitted shortly after deployment that he had probably picked the worst mission :) It wasn't the most exciting game, but interesting to see what could be done.

Deployment / Start of Turn 1

With both G7-Xs I pretty much shut down the other fleet forcing everything to start at speed zero. I also used the Grav Shift Reroute to move most of the obstacles towards the ISD forcing it to fly through them. All my ships started at speed 2.

34536409216_44f4cfedf6_n.jpg

Start of Turn 2

The Interdictors moved ahead and each banked an repair token. The opposing fleet all moved up to Speed 1

34536409196_950e4c4b71_n.jpg

Start of Turn 3

Both Interdictors moved up and tool shots at an incoming raider reducing it's shields and allowing the VSD to finish it off - I slowed that raider to Speed 2 to allow a double arc with Interdictor and keep it in arc for the VSD. The other interdictor kept the Arq at speed 1. The VSD though overlapped Interdictor as I misjudged a turn.

34536409126_542ede3e40_n.jpg

Start of Turn 4

The second Raider moves up and and hits the VSD with an Overload Pulse - the VSD replies and destroys the Raider. I managed to hit Interdictor *again* even though I used JJ to try to help. In hindsight I should have moved Interdictor first. Avenger replies in kind and splits the VSD in two with some very accurate fire! The Arq has been pummeling both of the Interdictors but is held to Speed 0 by the G-8 and I'm able to fly over it and trigger Engine Techs to put more distance between me and the ISD. The ISD at this time has taken at least 4 damage cards (two face up) from multiple overlaps of debris and asteroid fields.

34536409066_12af298d24_n.jpg

Start of Turn 5

We called it here as I'd gotten into the deployment zone and claimed the tokens. We also agreed that the Arq was going to die horribly as it has no shields left and I'd a double arc on it.

34536408986_11a40020d6_n.jpg

Had we played on it's possible I might have been able to close on the ISD from the side to do some more damage

What was learned?

The combination of the G7-X Grav Well Projectors and the Grav Shift Reroute *really* messed up my opponents deployment. Had we played another mission It gives this fleet a good chance to re position and take on the opposing fleet piecemeal. The squadrons did very little in the game.

Weirdly the weakness in the fleet was the VSD as it couldn't keep up, I had originally planned to take a kitted out Demolisher but thought it might be too fragile. Having seen the fleet in action it's speed might have fit better. That'll be for next time :)

Edited by Artifixprime

Yeah a big thing I've found with Double Interdictor lists is they just don't have the punching power to do any real damage. Engine techs helps get them closer and into blue range, but its usually not enough. Demo wouldn't be bad at all. Keeping it leaner than the VSD could also potentially allow you to add a little to your screen as well, even if its just a Jumpmaster to allow the bombers to get shots off.

I'm starting to really like Engine Techs on the Dictors, as it allows them to close better, but also avoid more dangerous arcs if needed. You just can't arc dodge at speed 2.

NOSE PUNCH (TM) !

The whole point of a Double Interdictor list, to me, is to be a Bully.

At least, that was the idea with the Nose Punch... I FC/FCT Bombers into you while you're stuck at Speed 0... Then just as you start speeding up, I double-arc one of your ships with both Interdictors, who by plouging into you are pushing effectively an Advanced Gunnery ISD-IIs front arc into you....

... Then if you happen to slip past, a Cheap-as-Chips Demo cleans you up.

And the whole time, I've done my damndest to throw Obstacles in your way, keep you off balance, and overall been hyper-aggressive... Most of the time, that also involves putting pressure on objectives (depending on which ones I had to choose from... Heaven forbid they were mine ...)

5 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

NOSE PUNCH (TM) !

The whole point of a Double Interdictor list, to me, is to be a Bully.

At least, that was the idea with the Nose Punch... I FC/FCT Bombers into you while you're stuck at Speed 0... Then just as you start speeding up, I double-arc one of your ships with both Interdictors, who by plouging into you are pushing effectively an Advanced Gunnery ISD-IIs front arc into you....

... Then if you happen to slip past, a Cheap-as-Chips Demo cleans you up.

And the whole time, I've done my damndest to throw Obstacles in your way, keep you off balance, and overall been hyper-aggressive... Most of the time, that also involves putting pressure on objectives (depending on which ones I had to choose from... Heaven forbid they were mine ...)

Can you post that list makeup again somewhere or link to it? I brought 2 interdictors with me on my business trip and if i find a game am of half a mind to try it out.

Thanks for continuing to push my double interdictor fascination @Artifixprime !

3 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

Can you post that list makeup again somewhere or link to it? I brought 2 interdictors with me on my business trip and if i find a game am of half a mind to try it out.

Thanks for continuing to push my double interdictor fascination @Artifixprime !

Post current wave, amend as required:

Firstly @Artifixprime , congratulations for the win with the double interdictor fleet. I sincerely hope you return with the Gladiator in tow and have a re-match.

@Drasnighta your tournament win with them last year has also been motivational for me as the Interdictor is simply one of my favourite ships in the game and although I haven't been playing for very long at all, just reading your thread and this one has made me pause for thought rather than discount them entirely.

Thank you both. :)

Yep - Will be including the Gladiator (well, Demolisher specifically) in the next game.

I've a few points for squadrons that I was thinking of filling with a pair of Decimators and maybe Bossk to soak up hits. Dunno yet.

I've flown a Nose Punch-like list 3 times now and thus far have landed a total of 1 damage across all battles with my bombers against the enemy speed-0 ship.

That opening move (which can only be 3 bombers) is VERY luck dependent. :(

Edited by Democratus
2 hours ago, Democratus said:

I've flown a Nose Punch-like list 3 times now and thus far have landed a total of 1 damage across all battles with my bombers against the enemy speed-0 ship.

Yep, but keep at it. When its HOT, it Kills Flotillas and CR90s.

7 hours ago, Artifixprime said:

Yep - Will be including the Gladiator (well, Demolisher specifically) in the next game.

I've a few points for squadrons that I was thinking of filling with a pair of Decimators and maybe Bossk to soak up hits. Dunno yet.

Oddly enough, I can't get away from flying 3-4 Decimators in all of my fleets, they're so durable and with Counter they aren't the best option for enemy squadrons to come up against.

Can't wait to see the fleet evolve sir!

7 hours ago, Democratus said:

You gotta look at the other interdictor bomber fleet thread that is going on now in fleet builds, put together by @Kieran Rexer Rather than double Interdictor he did one and Corruptor. It is a way shuttle more squadrons into the mix at the expense of less deployment zone area being speed 0 deployment. If you can pick objectives that force them into a certain area to score and force them to deploy 0 and use corrupter to get bombers in range it can be 4.

I give the guy big props it was a creative alteration to the list and it's already nabbed him a big win.

Indeed.

Of course, my latest experiement Traded out the Demo for a Corruptor so I'd have the best of both worlds... I don't love it so far, needs some more tweaks, but Nose Punch 2.0 is at least being planned.

7 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

You gotta look at the other interdictor bomber fleet thread that is going on now in fleet builds, put together by @Kieran Rexer Rather than double Interdictor he did one and Corruptor. It is a way shuttle more squadrons into the mix at the expense of less deployment zone area being speed 0 deployment. If you can pick objectives that force them into a certain area to score and force them to deploy 0 and use corrupter to get bombers in range it can be 4.

I give the guy big props it was a creative alteration to the list and it's already nabbed him a big win.

Thanks! ?The first try was a success, I've put a lot of pressure on the opponent, so he decided to rely, probably, more on my bad luck than on his strategy....that's why Heavy bomber list-with-Interdictor, in this way I have 10 blacks with a maximum output of 20 hits per round, with an average of 8, it is always painful...if you make good maneuvers with squadrons obviously.
In addition, The Gozanti with BCC makes things easier.

Interdictor is a component, bombers are the backbone of the list, with 2 Interdictors, you lack fire output, even with the Combat Refit...
But is always funny when you can disrupt every enemy movement with a couple of them, and they are beatiful on the table!?