Carrion carapace stipples

By Xargonaut, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Hey guys, I wonder what method or tool the FFG studio painters used to make the stipple markings on their Carrion Lancers' pink carapace.

Do you think you know? Do you have suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks.

rwm09_alt_carrion_lancer_group_final copy.jpg

I've been pondering this as well...thinking about Army Painter barbarian flesh base, than flick a watered down yellow onto it, followed by a red wash...Will it work? Your guess is as good as mine. Might be interesting even if it doesn't do what I want.

Why oh, why did In read that title as ,"Carrion carapace nipples"?

So I went with the toothpick technique and here is the result.

It looks a bit cartoonish, but I think it kind of fit with the game's art direction, so I'm pleased about it.

IMG_0154-facebook.jpg

I like it. Reminds me of a poisonous mushroom. Also that green is really pretty.

poison_mushrooms_by_daadox-d31jluh.jpg

Edited by Contrapulator

Looks neat. If mine didnt have ice carapace i'd probably do that too, but i think it'd look odd on an icy shell lol

If you're very careful, take a little bit of watered down paint on a toothbrush, then use a toothpick to swipe across the bristles making random small splatters. I've used this method before on some descent minis and it turned out well.

I might try that on my Diorite Golem im planning to do once i get that far in my painting.

Diorite is basically a white rock with black splatters all over it.

The Carrion worm looks so cuddly, I like it.

21 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

I might try that on my Diorite Golem im planning to do once i get that far in my painting.

Diorite is basically a white rock with black splatters all over it.

Please do, we wait with bated breath.

Edited by Darthain
16 minutes ago, Darthain said:

The Carrion worm looks so cuddly, I like it.

Yah, that's the impression I got after finishing it, it looked a bit too cute. But I got used to it and I like it now. Another thing I like about it is that when on the game table among other minis, the dotted pattern gives it a strong distinct visual signature, while still looking like it belongs to the undead army.

11 hours ago, Xargonaut said:

Yah, that's the impression I got after finishing it, it looked a bit too cute. But I got used to it and I like it now. Another thing I like about it is that when on the game table among other minis, the dotted pattern gives it a strong distinct visual signature, while still looking like it belongs to the undead army.

Distinct visual signature is important for at a glance evaluation, says the guy with white/gold TIEs

Edited by Darthain