Worlds Battle Report, or How I Beat Ard by 1 Point

By CaribbeanNinja, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

A Worlds Story.

The list:

[ EMPIRE FLEET (386 points)

1 • Gladiator I-class Star Destroyer - Intel Officer - Ordnance Experts - Engine Techs - Assault Proton Torpedoes - Demolisher (90)

2 • Raider I-class corvette - Agent Kallus - Ordnance Experts - Flechette Torpedoes - Instigator (58)

3 • Arquitens-class Light Cruiser - Intel Officer - Dual Turbolaser Turrets (66)

4 • Arquitens-class Light Cruiser - Intel Officer - Dual Turbolaser Turrets (66)

5 • Gozanti-class Cruisers - Slicer Tools (30)

6 • Gozanti-class Cruisers - Moff Jerjerrod (46)

7 • Ciena Ree TIE Interceptor Squadron (17)

8 • Valen Rudor TIE Fighter Squadron (13)

This was a risk. Bringing two squadrons nowadays is inviting trouble. However, in my own experiences, a lot of folks (non Rieekan squads) were bringing just a token force. Tycho and Shara plus A-Wings was everywhere. I decided to take the gamble.

Round 1 - Played against Ron, who was new to the game. He was running a tricked out Motti ISD with Demo, a Raider and Gozanti, and an unusual squad layout of TIE fighter, TIE bomber, and Rhymer. If memory serves, we played Intel Sweep. His fleet was definitely in trouble. I ignored the big boy while gathering more Intel tokens and popping his three other ships. I won 9-2. “I have a bad feeling about this.” I was really worried that the Matchup Karma Monster was going to get me…

Round 2 - And there it was. The Matchup Karma Monster set me up against Jonathan, who was running my worst nightmare (A dream compared to my 5th match...but we'll get there soon...). A Cracken TRC90 spam with 7 YT-2400s. I knew getting any points was going to be tough. We played his Most Wanted. Luckily, I think Jonathan played conservative and flanked the TRC90s from one side to the other, never really engaging, always worried about a Demo strike. That forced me to switch to total anti-squad. I probably made a mistake in sending in my Raider as bait. Jonathan took it and popped the Riader with 6/7 Black die hits from the ROGUE YTs. Eventually I was able to AS 4 of them to death, even with subpar rolls. I lost 5-6. I was thrilled. Taking 5 points from a tough fleet seemed great.

Round 3 - I face @Caldias . Craig is such a nice guy and we had a blast. It was brain busting for sure. His Mothma list is tight and really puts out the pain. I was able to pop an MC-30 and just ignored the other two decked out ones. One CF token reroll into an Accuracy caused Jerjerrod’s death and let Craig beat me. I lost 5-6 again. I was still happy. I had played a good match against a great opponent with a great fleet. What more could I want?

I was sitting in decent shape at 19 points after three rounds. I never thought I would win, but I definitely wanted the Empire to inflict pain :)

Round 4 - I face @pt106 - Paul had come to breakfast that morning a little late, and I had sat with him while he finished. We talked a ton about the games and what was going on. It was such a great feeling when we saw our names together in the pairings. I play against him regularly on VASSAL and he actually helped me practice this fleet. It was our first RL match. Paul was running his Motti Christmas tree complete with Needa and TRCs. What a beast. He also had a two raiders and a Projection NON-DEMO Glad2. We played his Con outpost. This was an incredible Chess match. Paul protected the station with Suppressor and Avenger while i slowly came in threatening. I got some good rolls and was able to eventually pop Suppressor. That allowed me to come in a little faster and I ended up also getting his plain Raider and the Station points for the last two rounds. This battle was extremely close, and I came up on top 6-5. Little did I know… I should have let PT win…:)

Round 5 - Because in this round, OMG I faced the scourge of Armada, the CR90B Rieekan Ram list. It is a great, but really frustrating list to play against. Jon @ardneh42 was gracious in whipping my @$$ with it. He apologized profusely (and still owes me a Surly Coffee Blender :) ) He had 6 count them 6 CR90Bs. 5 with Blast Doors and Engine Techs. One with ET and Jaina’s. He had Rieekan on a GR-75 along with two others. 9 activations . OMG. I did my best, and I think I was able to pop two of the damned things. It wasn’t a tabling, as I got my raider out to threaten the lifeboat. I lost 3-8 #RMb

These were by far the toughest combined games I had ever played in a tourney. I wish I had done better, but what happened after my last loss was magical to me.

My son, Kevin, had gotten rocked the first two games. 1-10, 1-10. He was handling it very well, but I was worried that he wouldn’t have any fun the last three rounds. He got the BYE in the third round and @Naboobo2000 was nice enough to play a practice game against him (Naboobo’s opponent quit). Kevin was able to 10-1 his last two opponents to end at 30 total and get dice! I was so happy for him. A true story about how you should always play all of your games!

I had such a blast!

Among my World's achievements:

I played 5 games of GREAT Armada!

I ate breakfast with friends and people that became friends!

I screamed all day for three days because **** the FFG Center is loud!

I helped change a tire!

I learned about the issues involved with and surrounding RMb!

I got the explanation (I still do not understand it) about RLBs!

I got to hang out for days with:

@miferr @moodswing5537 @JJs Juggernaut @Ardaedhel @Naboobo2000 @BrobaFett @Brikhause @Daht

@ardneh42 @AdmiralYor @pt106

and so many others (I don’t know their forum handles!)

@brikhause taught me RuneWars so that FFG can have more of my money!

If you are ever on the fence about whether it is worth it to travel to these kind of things, do it .

The friends you make along the way are worth every sore throat or hangover.

Edited by CaribbeanNinja

Oh, man I didn't hear how Kevin's tourney shook out, good on him!

We came so close to playing each other! Ah, well, the matchup monster strikes back...

I got Kevin rd2 on the bottom table. He was a great opponent but my list was a real hard counter to his, there want much he could do except hope I make a big error or roll horribly. Glad to hear he made the big comeback.

RLB and RMB are so close, maybe they are actually the same thing?

2 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

RLB and RMB are so close, maybe they are actually the same thing?

This explains Señor Gernes' reluctance to explain it to us!

@CaribbeanNinja I had a total blast meeting you and @moodswing5537 and hanging out with you guys. Truly I think this was the best part of the whole event was just chilling with you all!! Great laughs!

8 hours ago, Brikhause said:

@CaribbeanNinja I had a total blast meeting you and @moodswing5537 and hanging out with you guys. Truly I think this was the best part of the whole event was just chilling with you all!! Great laughs!

The feeling was mutual. We've got to get down to Texas eventually.

I was Kevin's last matchup and I'm super glad to hear he got dice out of it. That was definitely one of the most fun matchups I had!

5 hours ago, moodswing5537 said:

The feeling was mutual. We've got to get down to Texas eventually.

I would love this very much!! You let me know when you are coming, and I'll ensure all the Armada and Runewars you can play until your hearts content!

On 5/8/2017 at 2:34 PM, CaribbeanNinja said:

I should have let PT win…:)

Usually it is a good strategy :) Ask @Ginkapo

On a more serious note - I'm glad we finally played each other and that game definitely was the most complex one and a most memorable one for me in this tourney.

I am so jealous that there is such vibrant and close community in the US. Here in EU because of the language and wage differences it's much more difficult...

On 5/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, Ardaedhel said:

This explains Señor Gernes' reluctance to explain it to us!

OK, I'm lost. RMB to me is the Renminbi. Why are we hashtagging it?

And you would adjust the fleet following these lessons by.....

2 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

Playing the same fleet again as is . I'm not adjusting my fleet on the basis of a 14:100,000 likelihood string of events.

Too early, ignore me.

Edited by Ardaedhel
2 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

Playing the same fleet again as is asking to share dice. I'm not adjusting my fleet on the basis of a 14:100,000 likelihood string of events.

I was asking CNinj...

Just now, Ginkapo said:

I was asking CNinj...

... This is what he gets for posting a thread with an almost identical name to mine. :)

14 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

This is a great question I've been trying to answer...

I have absolutely no answer to Rieekan Ram Spam yet. It is really daunting/annoying/confounding. I think a heavy bomber list would give it issues.

I think the list is solid. It of course all depends on the match-ups. I'm definitely thinking of going to five activations (dropping the plain gozanti) and adding a different squad set. My favorite part of the list was Demo and the Arqs. With Jerjerrod, they are a real joy to play. Intel officer is so great with these.

Nice write up and sounds like a great time. Meeting some great people at the breakfast and dinners at Worlds last year was my highlight. I wish I could have made worlds but have a lot going on this year so hopefully I can make it next year. I've barely been able to play Armada in the past 4 months but from the sound of it my style of Imperial ship loving play wouldn't have fared too well against the current META. Looking forward to getting back into Armada this summer!