Can 1 upgrade card be used for multiple units?

By bumyong, in Runewars Rules Questions

Can someone who plays X-Wing or Armada chime in on this for tournament play? Do you need a separate upgrade card for each unit or can you have one upgrade card apply to multiple units?

For example, if I have three 2x2 reanimate units and I have enough points to give two of them the "Metered March" upgrade, will I need two separate "Metered March" cards or can one just function for both units?

I am guessing that you will need to have a card for each upgraded unit which will be a pain if I have to buy multiple cores/expansions just for more upgrade cards.

Until the official tournament rules are out, we don't know for sure.

For xwing and armada, you needed all the cards for official tournaments above a certain level. Also with some upgrades needing to be exhausted, those you really need a copy for each unit even in casual.

For X wing, my store sold upgrades in packs separately. Perhaps to help the tournament scene

Edited by Ywingscum

I can see this being an issue. There are upgrades in the core that I want more than one of...Metered March comes to mind (or whatever it's called, the one that lets you move less than your full movement template). If these are only ever going to be in the Core sets....that's a problem. Hopefully they will include copies of these kinds of Upgrades in at least some of the expansion boxes.

Alternatively, if they allowed players to play with reproduced copies so long as the player owned one actual copy of the card, this would eliminate the problem.

4 minutes ago, kingbobb said:

Alternatively, if they allowed players to play with reproduced copies so long as the player owned one actual copy of the card, this would eliminate the problem.

Yeah, this would be a great option. It's one thing to pay $10 for one X-wing ship in order to get an upgrade card but it's another deal to have to pay $20 or more for an expansion box just to get another copy of one you already have! If I have to do that, I think I'll pass on tournament play.

I've appreciated that FFG has posted and allowed scans of their cards to be public so that for casual play, you can just print them out rather than having to buy expensive expansions. This open business model makes me want to support them and to make actual purchases of expansions. But the cost scale for RWM is different from X-Wing so it makes owning duplicate cards that much more expensive.

Just now, bumyong said:

Yeah, this would be a great option. It's one thing to pay $10 for one X-wing ship in order to get an upgrade card but it's another deal to have to pay $20 or more for an expansion box just to get another copy of one you already have! If I have to do that, I think I'll pass on tournament play.

I've appreciated that FFG has posted and allowed scans of their cards to be public so that for casual play, you can just print them out rather than having to buy expensive expansions. This open business model makes me want to support them and to make actual purchases of expansions. But the cost scale for RWM is different from X-Wing so it makes owning duplicate cards that much more expensive.

Another option would be if they offered just packs of upgrade cards. As you say, X-Wing and even Armada are very different situations...you at least get a model that is display ready out of the pack. I don't think that model will work with RMG, so they'll need to come at this from a different direction.

There is precedent for upgrades from the Core Set being available in expansions. Shield wall has been shown to come in the Oathsworn Cavalry set.

Oh, boy. This conversation. Again.

I suspect the Essentials pack is going to be the best way to get multiple copies of Core set upgrades.

I suspect that by the time you're done buying the first wave of expansions you'll generally have most of the core set repeat upgrades that you need.

I suggest you just photo copy cards for all non-fantasy flight run games/ tournaments. I honestly don't see why anyone would care if your playing with a photocopied card.

7 hours ago, bryanc said:

I suggest you just photo copy cards for all non-fantasy flight run games/ tournaments. I honestly don't see why anyone would care if your playing with a photocopied card.

Why even bother?

Why not just say "Here's the card, it's on these three (or whatever) units"?

6 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Why even bother?

Why not just say "Here's the card, it's on these three (or whatever) units"?

Some upgrades need to be exhausted when used, so it could be important to know that Spearman 1's upgrade is exhausted while Spearman 2's isn't. A copy per upgrade would be handy then.

4 hours ago, Daverman said:

Some upgrades need to be exhausted when used, so it could be important to know that Spearman 1's upgrade is exhausted while Spearman 2's isn't. A copy per upgrade would be handy then.

"This here token represents the upgrade. When it's on the unit card it's ready, when it's not it's exhausted"

For my casual games I'll only use the upgrades I have. If I don't have em, I don't have em.

9 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

For my casual games I'll only use the upgrades I have. If I don't have em, I don't have em.

I'm the same way.

People may call me nuts, but I have a card collecting itch that needs scratched sometimes.

Since this is the rules subforum, and not a homebrew subforum, I'd like to point out that the rules for upgrades very clearly use the phrase "upgrade card," rather than just "upgrade." According to rule 88, "For each upgrade icon in a unit's costing table for it's corresponding configuration, that unit can equip one upgrade card that has a matching icon." It goes on to explain that equipping means to place the upgrade card next to the unit card. Section 88 clearly indicates that each upgrade icon requires its own card.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to prefer my opponent have 1 copy of each card they are using. It can get confusing trying to keep track of whatever tracking system they are choosing to use for multiple units sharing a card. Any actual tournaments, I'd expect my opponent to have an official card for each upgrade they are using, including multiple copies if multiple units are using the same upgrade.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:35 AM, rowdyoctopus said:

Yeah, I'm definitely going to prefer my opponent have 1 copy of each card they are using. It can get confusing trying to keep track of whatever tracking system they are choosing to use for multiple units sharing a card. Any actual tournaments, I'd expect my opponent to have an official card for each upgrade they are using, including multiple copies if multiple units are using the same upgrade.

Can I ask why you would care if you opponent used a copy of a card in a tournament?

If you're playing in an FFG Tournament I think it'll be a moot point as they normally require a genuine card for each instance the card is in your army list.

For casual play I don't see the problem with allowing copies of cards.

I was thinking of Scanning the Unit Card and Upgrades I want on the unit in, then printing them out as a single larger card. I'd then use tokens to show which Upgrades were destroyed/exhausted. Has the added benefit of keeping my original cards pristine and reducing the chance of losing them.

Completely personal point of view here. I don't like proxying because usually, there's a chance I'll eventually buy the product and won't need to proxy anymore. When I do purchase a product that I've been proxying, I find my enjoyment of it is significantly less than for a product that I haven't experienced already. That makes my purchases (which are necessarily infrequent) feel less exciting. I used to proxy hard with Star Wars Miniatures Game from Wizards of the Coast, but in the end it was a negative experience. Since then, I rarely ever proxy. I prefer to just play with what I have.

By extension, since I only play with official copies of components, I prefer to play with others who only have official copies. Now, I can see an argument for this promoting a pay-to-win strategy since someone who can afford more products is going to have access to more upgrades. However, I haven't found that to be too big of an issue since I usually don't run popular lists anyway, so I'm not bothered by people who have all the things. If they paid for them, they should be able to play them.

I just use the upgrade cards I have and will get with my sets, and try different tactics for different units, instead of just copy/paste upgrades across the army.

17 hours ago, bryanc said:

Can I ask why you would care if you opponent used a copy of a card in a tournament?

Because that is what the game calls for. I bought the expansions needed for my cards, and I expect my opponent has done the same.

I wouldn't want my opponent to have proxy models, or 3D printed models. Same with the cards.

I'd like to toss my hat in with the "I prefer to play with all tournament legal components" crowd, and I'd like to add a personal reason to the pile.

I like collecting stuff. I have the collector's bug. Particularly cards. Oh, man, it was hard for me to avoid getting into SW: Destiny... I got the first set, completed it, looked at how hard it was going to be to keep up with the steady releases and, only now, at age 30, do I finally find the internal strength to say "No" to CCGs.

RMG, X-Wing, Armada... they all have just a touch of card collecting in them. It's not much, but it's enough to scratch that itch.

Flipping through my binder pages of cards is bizarrely satisfying.

21 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

I'd like to toss my hat in with the "I prefer to play with all tournament legal components" crowd, and I'd like to add a personal reason to the pile.

I like collecting stuff. I have the collector's bug. Particularly cards. Oh, man, it was hard for me to avoid getting into SW: Destiny... I got the first set, completed it, looked at how hard it was going to be to keep up with the steady releases and, only now, at age 30, do I finally find the internal strength to say "No" to CCGs.

RMG, X-Wing, Armada... they all have just a touch of card collecting in them. It's not much, but it's enough to scratch that itch.

Flipping through my binder pages of cards is bizarrely satisfying.

Destiny is so much better than so many other CCGs, too. But I get it. I wish I had more disposable income right now, but I'll have to be content with not as much Spirit of Rebellion I want and instead enjoy the Runewars expansions I'm getting. :-)