Anyone Else Jacking Out?

By Kaijudo, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

I think once rotation starts, I'm Jacking Out of the collecting aspect of the game. I'm not salty about rotations or anything like that, I just think the card pool is growing to fast.

What about the rest of you. Anyone else Jacking Out? and if so, why?

That doesn't seem logical to me. Reducing the card pool by 240 cards is growing too fast?

people already complain constantly about whatever cards du jour are distorting the meta, and the inability or slowness of new cards being added to change the status quo.

so, no, I can't agree.

16 hours ago, Grimwalker said:

That doesn't seem logical to me. Reducing the card pool by 240 cards is growing too fast?

people already complain constantly about whatever cards du jour are distorting the meta, and the inability or slowness of new cards being added to change the status quo.

so, no, I can't agree.

Yeah I know someone would say just what you said. I should have explained better. I mean currently I feel like the card pool is growing to fast, yes when they rotate out it's going to shrink a little, but that's when it comes to tournament play. I play causally so I don't plan on follwoing roation rules. If we get rotation after this current cycled, I think its the best time for me to jack out because the new cycle is going to be like a new start for the game in a way.

If you're not planning to avail yourself of the card-pool limitation benefit of rotation, that's a personal decision that I don't think many people will follow. I mean, honestly, what even is the point of coming onto the forums and talking down the game because of your own private decisions? The only problem is of your own making.

The size of the card pool is going to be capped at the Core, four deluxes, Terminal Directive, and the most recent five to seven Data packs. That's 982 to 1,222 cards. You have to have a certain depth to the card pool to have a healthy game, and that's where they've decided it should be.

If $15 per month is too much for you to keep up with within those parameters, then I guess that can't be helped, but bear in mind that future releases are going to be designed for rotation, and if you don't set aside the old cycles you're going to set yourself up for some possible bad interactions. Rotation is not just about tournament play, it's about the health of the game.

If you want to go, then just quit now and save yourself the expense. But don't make the game worse by posting negative threads to try and get other people to do likewise.

Edited by Grimwalker
5 hours ago, Grimwalker said:

If you're not planning to avail yourself of the card-pool limitation benefit of rotation, that's a personal decision that I don't think many people will follow. I mean, honestly, what even is the point of coming onto the forums and talking down the game because of your own private decisions? The only problem is of your own making.

The size of the card pool is going to be capped at the Core, four deluxes, Terminal Directive, and the most recent five to seven Data packs. That's 982 to 1,222 cards. You have to have a certain depth to the card pool to have a healthy game, and that's where they've decided it should be.

If $15 per month is too much for you to keep up with within those parameters, then I guess that can't be helped, but bear in mind that future releases are going to be designed for rotation, and if you don't set aside the old cycles you're going to set yourself up for some possible bad interactions. Rotation is not just about tournament play, it's about the health of the game.

If you want to go, then just quit now and save yourself the expense. But don't make the game worse by posting negative threads to try and get other people to do likewise.

Dude you're miss-reading me. This is a forum, it's made for discussion. Like I said it my first post, I'm not salty at all (maybe I need to explain salty. Salty means you're not bitter or angry about something). I'm just speaking my mind and wondering if anyone else was doing the same. You're totally missing my intent HERE. This isn't a I hate ANR thread.

To me Salty means you are bitter or angry about something. To me a thread like this means, no matter how blase you phrase it, to be saying "**** this **** I'm out" and "who's with me!?" This thread has no purpose if you're not exhorting others to do the same.

When people quit a game, they generally just leave, stop posting on forums, and spend their time doing other things. If you're here wanting to talk about it, it implies you have an axe to grind before you go, and by asking for others to give their reasons for quitting the game (but still expecting that they're hanging around forums) it invites others to grind their axes as well.

And since the various forums have no shortage of people grinding axes about this game, some gripes legitimate and some not, I would prefer that this thread not exist if you're just going to drop out. Especially since your reasons for doing so are at best out of anyone's control, and at worst are just silly.

28 minutes ago, Grimwalker said:

To me Salty means you are bitter or angry about something. To me a thread like this means, no matter how blase you phrase it, to be saying "**** this **** I'm out" and "who's with me!?" This thread has no purpose if you're not exhorting others to do the same.

When people quit a game, they generally just leave, stop posting on forums, and spend their time doing other things. If you're here wanting to talk about it, it implies you have an axe to grind before you go, and by asking for others to give their reasons for quitting the game (but still expecting that they're hanging around forums) it invites others to grind their axes as well.

And since the various forums have no shortage of people grinding axes about this game, some gripes legitimate and some not, I would prefer that this thread not exist if you're just going to drop out. Especially since your reasons for doing so are at best out of anyone's control, and at worst are just silly.

Look we're going around in circles man. I never said "I'm out who is with me". You're seeing things in a warped way. I'm a out spoken person, if my intent was too lead a revolt on the game, I would just come right out and say it, I don't hide my intentions at all. The bottom line is; I love the game; I like to talk about the game; I've been collecting cards since the game started, I've been active in the community from time to time.

I said "I'm Jacking Out of the collecting aspect of the game " which means I'm still playing the game, I'm just not going to buy cards anymore. You need to stop being on the defensive with everyone. I've been where you were at before with video games. I've read people hating on a a game I liked, so I know what it's like to read crap trolling on a game or a hobby you like, but like I told you, my intent was never hate on ANR, or grind an Axe as you say.

Then I genuinely don't understand why the hell you started this thread.

I don't know why you're "jacking out" because your stated reasons for doing so are completely illogical, so I gathered it was something else. If $15 per month is too much of a financial strain, then why haven't you quit already and why do you feel the need to advertise it, **unless** you're being disingenuous about something.

Edited by Grimwalker
1 hour ago, Grimwalker said:

Then I genuinely don't understand why the hell you started this thread.

I don't know why you're "jacking out" because your stated reasons for doing so are completely illogical, so I gathered it was something else. If $15 per month is too much of a financial strain, then why haven't you quit already and why do you feel the need to advertise it, **unless** you're being disingenuous about something.

Smh lol

Pretty much my reaction to every comment of yours on this thread.

4 hours ago, Grimwalker said:

Pretty much my reaction to every comment of yours on this thread.

I'm not here to fight, so you can take your temperamental attitude some place else.

This thread has been viewed close to 177 times, why are you the only outraged person posting? Everyone else seems to get what I'm saying; but you. Maybe you need to chill out, do something relaxing.

Wow..........I also agree that Grimwalker is misreading the intent on your post.
Either that or he is just purposely being difficult

Anyways,

I play several LCG's though none really in a tournament setting with any regularity. And when/if rotation comes around to any of them, there is a good chance I would jump ship and just consider what I have collected thus far 'complete'.

I know I could keep buying the cards and choose to ignore rotation rules if I want to just play casually, but as time goes on, you keep running into a higher risk of problems arising from strange interactions with new cards and cards that have been rotated out. Time will tell, but there is also a chance that they will reprint some of the old cards to bring them back in (if not exactly in name, then perhaps just a duplicate effect) and then you would be re-buying those . Personally, I would rather take that 15 bucks a month and buy into the latest LCG that happens to be coming out at any given time.

THe one exception would be the Star Wars LCG. Assuming that game makes it to rotation, I would still highly consider no longer purchasing new content for the LCG, but it would depend on the subject matter for the next cycle. If they were to continue with a theme for that cycle that greatly interests me, then I would probably keep collecting on a cycle by cycle basis.

1 hour ago, pixcalcis said:

Wow..........I also agree that Grimwalker is misreading the intent on your post.

I'm trying to point out that there is no logic on display here.

He complains about the card pool expanding too fast, but it's only $15 per month at worst, more often every 5-6 weeks.

He complains about the card pool being too big, when Rotation is going to both imminently reduce and thereafter constrain the size of the card pool.

He says he has no axe to grind, but presents an open call to any passersby to air whatever grievances they have that are sufficient to make them quit buying the game.

He claims he's not salty but if someone stops buying something there's usually something they're dissatisfied about and he wants to collect more reasons for being dissatisfied. Not the action of someone who's happy with the game.

I couldn't possibly disagree more, and I think that threads like these are harmful to the game as a whole. If someone wants to stop playing, that's fine, get out and don't let the door hit you in the tuchus . When someone loudly complains about stupid things before announcing that they're leaving, everyone else in the room is well within their rights to say that person's a jerk and should stop trying to spoil other people's good time.

I play several LCG's though none really in a tournament setting with any regularity. And when/if rotation comes around to any of them, there is a good chance I would jump ship and just consider what I have collected thus far 'complete'.

That's fine for you, I guess, even though "complete" is a strange word to a game where there is constantly new content coming out. On that note...

I know I could keep buying the cards and choose to ignore rotation rules if I want to just play casually, but as time goes on, you keep running into a higher risk of problems arising from strange interactions with new cards and cards that have been rotated out.

This is yet another reason why the decision to ignore rotation is an own goal as far as whether or not someone's dissatisfied with the game.

Time will tell, but there is also a chance that they will reprint some of the old cards to bring them back in (if not exactly in name, then perhaps just a duplicate effect)

They've already said there will be no direct reprints. The writing is already on the wall with cards coming in that perform similar functions but are substantially different than cards that are about to leave the environment. "Re-buying" is not a cause for worry.

Edited by Grimwalker
4 hours ago, pixcalcis said:

Anyways,

I know I could keep buying the cards and choose to ignore rotation rules if I want to just play casually, but as time goes on, you keep running into a higher risk of problems arising from strange interactions with new cards and cards that have been rotated out. Time will tell, but there is also a chance that they will reprint some of the old cards to bring them back in (if not exactly in name, then perhaps just a duplicate effect) and then you would be re-buying those . Personally, I would rather take that 15 bucks a month and buy into the latest LCG that happens to be coming out at any given time.

THe one exception would be the Star Wars LCG. Assuming that game makes it to rotation, I would still highly consider no longer purchasing new content for the LCG, but it would depend on the subject matter for the next cycle. If they were to continue with a theme for that cycle that greatly interests me, then I would probably keep collecting on a cycle by cycle basis.

Thank You :)

Yeah I was thinking about maybe buying the core set for Legend of The 5 Rings. I haven't researched the game or the rules yet to see if I like it yet.

ANR is my first LCG, but I've played a lot of CCG, so when I heard rotation was coming to ANR, just like you said; I felt it was a good time for me to stop collecting and consider my card pool complete; use those cards for my casual play.

When FFG first announced rotation, I decided once each of their games I follow got to that point, it would be my jumping off point in regards to buying new product. The card pool would be fully mature (ie max capacity) and the first 2 cycles have reached the end of their life cycles.
I get to play each of the competitive lcg's so infrequently (though I enjoy each of them that I play) that it will be a long time before I fully explore all of the content up to that point anyhow even without purchasing consistent new releases.

1 hour ago, pixcalcis said:

When FFG first announced rotation, I decided once each of their games I follow got to that point, it would be my jumping off point in regards to buying new product. The card pool would be fully mature (ie max capacity) and the first 2 cycles have reached the end of their life cycles.
I get to play each of the competitive lcg's so infrequently (though I enjoy each of them that I play) that it will be a long time before I fully explore all of the content up to that point anyhow even without purchasing consistent new releases.

I reached the same conclusion you did. When I got into CCG's, I knew it would take a long time to build a real collection (Not into ebay and hunting for rare cards), so I love the LCG format, and I'm very satisfied with the cards I've collected. Rotation is a good jump off point for me.

I have to say I think Grimwalker has been on the attack for no reason, Kaijudo said from the start he wasn't salty.

Kaijudo I think your idea of a jumping off point is fair. It was a big disappointment when FFG stopped producing Warhammer Conquest, but for me, having a complete card pool is nice. If the card pool is just going to continuously expand then you have to set your own limit. With so many awesome new games coming out recently (Thrones 2.0, Arkham LCG, and L5R) I think everyone has to decide where they're going to draw the line on some games, and keep going on others.

Thrones is my main one, so I get everything for that, but whenever I have a bit of extra money I throw it at Arkham or Android (or Destiny in the last week), but as a student I certainly can't necessarily justify £12 a month on a number of different games. Plus, I only started collecting Netrunner during the Mumbad cycle, so for me, who also only plays casually with friends, my 'complete card pool' begins with that cycle. I know I'm missing some cards but its just my own choice to save money. I'll probably judge the next cycle depending on how cool the setting is: it's the Mars setting that has made this cycle the coolest yet, so I don't know if I'll jack out.

But I can definitely see where you're coming from Kaijudo

5 hours ago, stpleco said:

I have to say I think Grimwalker has been on the attack for no reason, Kaijudo said from the start he wasn't salty.

Kaijudo I think your idea of a jumping off point is fair. It was a big disappointment when FFG stopped producing Warhammer Conquest, but for me, having a complete card pool is nice. If the card pool is just going to continuously expand then you have to set your own limit. With so many awesome new games coming out recently (Thrones 2.0, Arkham LCG, and L5R) I think everyone has to decide where they're going to draw the line on some games, and keep going on others.

Thrones is my main one, so I get everything for that, but whenever I have a bit of extra money I throw it at Arkham or Android (or Destiny in the last week), but as a student I certainly can't necessarily justify £12 a month on a number of different games. Plus, I only started collecting Netrunner during the Mumbad cycle, so for me, who also only plays casually with friends, my 'complete card pool' begins with that cycle. I know I'm missing some cards but its just my own choice to save money. I'll probably judge the next cycle depending on how cool the setting is: it's the Mars setting that has made this cycle the coolest yet, so I don't know if I'll jack out.

But I can definitely see where you're coming from Kaijudo

Thank you Stpleco.

I was going to jump off after the 4th deluxe box, but there was another cycle coming up, so I got tempted lol. Then when I heard about rotation, I said to myself this might be the best time to jump off for me.

I agree, it's a great feeling when you have a complete set of a card or board game you like. When I got Battlestar Galactica and it's expansion, I was super happy lol

Yes the current cycle has a cool setting. I liked the Luna Cycle too. I recommend you take a look at it.

L5R is high on my radar. The Box alone looks great! I'm hoping it has a complete set of cards in it, cause if it does I can see myself picking up a box after the ANR rotation starts. Not sure about being packs, but a L5R core sounds good to me.

I think we're all fans of FF and love what they do. It's just; like you said, you have to set your own limits. I still support FF an d I don't think of them as a evil corp lol

Maybe we could have a Type one Archive format or something that allows for cards that are rotated out to be played but has some other restrictions (besides a ban list). I don't think a format that stops at the end of the Red Sands cycle would be good because then that will just leave a stale LCG with a meta that will eventually be "solved". But maybe looking into something different such as spending influence for cycled out cards (from faction or neutral only).

Either way it depends on how large the Android Netrunner community is to support alternative formats to the standards competitive. Terminal Directive has revived a bit of the NetRunner community at the local LFGS I go to but due to financial reasons I haven't been able to get caught back up for it.

Edited by Marinealver
On 5/17/2017 at 2:38 AM, Marinealver said:

Maybe we could have a Type one Archive format or something that allows for cards that are rotated out to be played but has some other restrictions (besides a ban list). I don't think a format that stops at the end of the Red Sands cycle would be good because then that will just leave a stale LCG with a meta that will eventually be "solved". But maybe looking into something different such as spending influence for cycled out cards (from faction or neutral only).

Either way it depends on how large the Android Netrunner community is to support alternative formats to the standards competitive. Terminal Directive has revived a bit of the NetRunner community at the local LFGS I go to but due to financial reasons I haven't been able to get caught back up for it.

That's a cool idea!

Players can implement that in their p0rivate play, or in draft play.

6 hours ago, Kaijudo said:

That's a cool idea!

Players can implement that in their p0rivate play, or in draft play.

Draft play is an idea, spending influence for rotated out card (must be neutral or in faction) is another idea. Or influence restriction where you can only take cards from in you faction and chose one other faction or neutral but not have a rotation. I don't know I am trying to think of how EDH/Commander does their format to get past the rotation and have a totally different meta, however NetRunner already has "commanders" so something else has to give.

Well it should still be possible to play with rotated out cards, just not in standard format. We need to come up with another format for that.

I am Jacking out. For me, card pool just before the rotation is complete. There´´´ is in my case imperial assault and armada to collect.

On 5/2/2017 at 4:47 PM, Kaijudo said:

I think once rotation starts, I'm Jacking Out of the collecting aspect of the game. I'm not salty about rotations or anything like that, I just think the card pool is growing to fast.

What about the rest of you. Anyone else Jacking Out? and if so, why?

Sorry to necropost on a thread that I was more than a little opinionated about, but as Nicholas Cage said in The Rock, "Gee, kind of a lot's happened since then." Notably--holy crap, a Revised Core Set. Holy crap, an actual ban list.

I think the best place to put a pin in Netrunner, should you be inclined to do so, is *probably* going to be in about 7 months, at the conclusion of the Kitara cycle. Essentially the reason being--now that we know that the Core Set is being revised, lots of abusive/OP cards from the original core set and the first two cycles are going away. If we're going to see "fixed" versions of those removed staple cards like SanSan City Grid, Account Siphon, Scorched Earth, and the like, then it makes sense for the Kitara cycle to get them into circulation. And if not fixed versions, then new designs that exist in those vacated niches.

So, if people wanted to stick around until then, I think the game will be in a pretty good place at that time. Right now things are a little wobbly, as things have gone away but their replacements are still in the future.

Edited by Grimwalker

I guess I am the opposite, Before Rotation plus Revised Core and plus MWL 2.0 I was at the point of jacking out. Too many cards and too many issues with cards and with faction balance that were sitting unaddressed. Then came in succession Rotation and Revised Core. Revised Core caught my attention big time as I saw the braintrust of the game effectively declare war on toxic card combos and playstyles. Next came MWL 2.0 which effectively completed wiping out the toxic stuff and has reset the game to a much more pleasant mode to play in. So I guess the changes have led me to jack in :)

Awesome! Clearly this is the better option IMO ;-)