Spearmen General

By Bhelliom, in Runewars Tactics

How are you guys refreshing the Lance Corporal? Banked Inspiration tokens? Rallying every now and then? Cornicen nearby?

2x1 with Cornicen for me.

They just sit there doing a 3 or faster dial and the Action behind my forces. Even a 2x1 can cause some damage turn 7/8 though when things are weakened, so not like he's wasted.
3x1 of Crossbows would probably be better though since they can contribute damage from the get-go.

Speaking of Dispatch Runner and Lance Corporal, is there any reason a revealed modifier wouldn't count for the bonus attack? As far as I can tell the only limitation for resolving a modifier is that it needs to be triggered by taking an action in the activation phase, which the attack from Dispatch Runner SHOULD fulfill. And in fact, it doesn't look like canceled modifiers have any "memory" - a stun token cancels that resolution of the modifier, but another later in the turn should be fair game. Am I missing anything?

3 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

Speaking of Dispatch Runner and Lance Corporal, is there any reason a revealed modifier wouldn't count for the bonus attack? As far as I can tell the only limitation for resolving a modifier is that it needs to be triggered by taking an action in the activation phase, which the attack from Dispatch Runner SHOULD fulfill. And in fact, it doesn't look like canceled modifiers have any "memory" - a stun token cancels that resolution of the modifier, but another later in the turn should be fair game. Am I missing anything?

Since the bonus action granted has no stance (color) it is impossible for it to then match with any modifier stance (color). This would apply even if the enhancement modifier were white. White matches with any stance, but granted actions from cards have no stance, and cannot be matched.

So, no, enhancement modifiers do not apply to any action that is not taken as part of a unit's activation, since those are the only actions with stances.

Edited by Tvayumat

I understand the argument for it but I dont use that interpretation until an FAQ is released. I'd rather use the more conservative approach

Actions and Bonus Actions.

"Each icon on the modifier dial has a stance that determines
the actions with which that modifier can be resolved."
What stance is the bonus attack? If none are mentioned, you cant match it with something. Finding a pair requires two things, and in the confines of this scenario they must have a matching stance. If one has no stance, it cant be matched, even if the other is a wildcard that matches with any stance.
The dial is ignored once revealed unless called upon (File Leader for instance). The only reason we keep it revealed is to both remember we activated and remember we did a +1Def. Right now literally the only card that calls upon an already revealed dial (that i know of anyway) is File Leader. Absolutely nothing else can use the revealed dial since nothing else tells you to.
4 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

How damaging have you found morale on that deathstar? I've only played it once, but in that game it attacked itself for like 12 damage and was forced to reform, offering up a juicy flank. The Lion Standard seems like a good investment to keep it operational.

I'm attacking later in the game and rallying so I haven't found morale to be an issue yet. The Uthik may change that.

You can remove the wind rune from the golems and replace the raven tabards easily enough to match your local meta.

My best advice is to harass their archers so that they are backing away from your main force. Attack later in the game, be patient, you can output more damage to them in the first 2-3 turns of combat. And if those are also the last 2-3 turns of the game well then you win.

4 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

How are you guys refreshing the Lance Corporal? Banked Inspiration tokens? Rallying every now and then? Cornicen nearby?

Yep banked tokens. Or Rallying Cornicen version of the army

For support units, how are people's experience with Spearmen vs Crossbowmen? Rallying Cornicen fits in either 2x1 Spears or 3x1 Crossbows. It costs the Crossbowmen the surge on their dial to use, but that might not be such a bad thing. More points obviously, but the argument would be that you wouldn't want a 2x1 Spearmen unit without the horn, so just spend the extra points on something a bit more useful.

Champions are the other one to consider. Not an option until the expensive 3x2 Crossbowmen, but if you want to include something that doesn't need to be on the front lines, here's the spot for it. Currently only Greyhaven Channeler really qualifies.

If you take a full 3x2 of crossbowmen you could take Hexer or Dispatch Runner since they have access to Simo Orders.

Hexer makes you want to be R1-3 of your target so might not be as viable (considering you are attacking with 1 less surge so getting your mortal strike might be difficult i'd rather just sit at a distance) but Dispatch Runner is R1-3 of your ally, which if you are talking about a spearstar then thats pretty far back.

There is the issue of the Stun Token since the Cornicen can only remove 1 bane OR ready a card, but theres also Hawthorne to help with that potentially. He would also help getting the Dispatch Runner back for that matter.

Course thats upward of 100pts in support for a spearstar. Crossbowmen wouldnt be pure support though since a threat3 attack is nothing to scoff at, even without the mortal strike addition.

2 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

If you take a full 3x2 of crossbowmen you could take Hexer or Dispatch Runner since they have access to Simo Orders.

Hexer makes you want to be R1-3 of your target so might not be as viable (considering you are attacking with 1 less surge so getting your mortal strike might be difficult i'd rather just sit at a distance) but Dispatch Runner is R1-3 of your ally, which if you are talking about a spearstar then thats pretty far back.

There is the issue of the Stun Token since the Cornicen can only remove 1 bane OR ready a card, but theres also Hawthorne to help with that potentially. He would also help getting the Dispatch Runner back for that matter.

Course thats upward of 100pts in support for a spearstar. Crossbowmen wouldnt be pure support though since a threat3 attack is nothing to scoff at, even without the mortal strike addition.

If you're willing to take Kari, you can get the dispatch runner on some Deepwood Archers for cheaper.

15 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

If you're willing to take Kari, you can get the dispatch runner on some Deepwood Archers for cheaper.

i actually have a list with that in mind

Its not cheaper due to the Kari tax. But it does yield a threat4 ranged attack as well as Kari fig sniping.
Loses the cornicen though.

Kari is 32pts (38pts with Fortuna's) and a 2x2 of archers w/ Dispatch Runner is 37. You want Hawthorne in there for the inspiration battery, otherwise that Stun and constantly trying to ready the Dispatch Runner will be a problem, bam 109pts (naked Hawthorne).

Crossbowmen + Hawthornebattery would be 95pts. (crossbows have rallying cornicen, simo orders, and dispatch runner).

I would only consider the archer approach better because of threat4 ranged attacks (Hawthorne does not specify Daqan units), but on the same token you lose rallying cornicen which limits upgrade options on the unit you're buffing. Remember outside faction units can only take neutral cards.

Dont take hawthorne and have fun keeping those cards readied without sacrificing your attack. Even without reforming the archers they will do more damage than hawthorne anyway

Edited by Vineheart01