Rune Tokens

By Darth Matthew, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

All the power of magic, in cardboard?

While I really do love this game, I dislike the feel of flipping a cardboard coin.

Solution? 3D printing in metals. I've done some basic volume designs and art layout, and it would cost about $13 to $20 per token to turn the little cardboard tokens into 40mm sized metal coins.

Am I crazy, or is it worth $100 to have the most awesome set of tokens every?

-Matt

It's a little crazy but its could be awesome. I would worry about flipping heaving coins around minis though.

I saw someone post something about using plastic coin collecting capsules that looked cool. The store near me that sells some of that stuff only had the standard US coin sizes in stock and the Quarter sized capsule was slightly too small I need to try 25mm and 26mm capsules to see if they work.

To stick with metal coins you could probably by some of the decal transfer sheets that you can print on. Print out the appropriate runes and then apply them to metal disks (maybe paint them?). You could probably make a few sets of those for $20.

I'm not sure if there a minimum quantity or what the pricing is like but this site sells them in a bunch of difference sizes and from a bunch of different metals. It looks like those are made to order so they might be a bit spendy for a small order.

Edited by WWHSD

I think it would be cool. But I want stone runes

It looks like stamping blanks for jewelry might be what you are looking for. This site has brass ones for $5 for a 6 pack.

I'm curious what it would cost to get some rune stamps that you could hammer into those would run?

I got the coin capsules and they work great, but this is interesting as my wife does that metal stamping stuff.

There are sets of Viking rune metal stamps out there in the $100+ range. They wouldn't be perfect but you could color tint them to match the Runewars runes... but that's a lot for something like this.

I too purchased the coin capsules that someone else mentioned in another thread. $9 for 25 cases :

001_zps8ared03o.jpg

Sure, metal would be awesome but not sure if it's $100 awesome. These coin cases give a good amount of heft to them.

I made myself a set of runes in bone pretty much first thing and couldn't be happier with them.

In addition to being nice and dense/heavy so they "roll" well out of the hand, being carved in bone scratches my RNG superstitious itch.

I'm hand carving mine, and producing a few sets for interested parties, but it's slow going. Someone with a laser could do the same thing a lot easier, I wager.

L5omXsvl.jpg

I like the runes in bone/stone idea quite a bit.

I wonder what it would take to do this in stone, and engrave. I've got a high end dremel multi tool, might be as simple as a stone blank and the proper bit (and some skill).

I do have some obsidian laying around... Hmmm, things to ponder.

6 minutes ago, Darth Matthew said:

I like the runes in bone/stone idea quite a bit.

I wonder what it would take to do this in stone, and engrave. I've got a high end dremel multi tool, might be as simple as a stone blank and the proper bit (and some skill).

I do have some obsidian laying around... Hmmm, things to ponder.

Stone might be a bit much, but it depends on the stone.

I know for a fact that a dremel engraver handles bone no problem.

Just a thought....

I happen to live very close to https://indianstore.org/

They have a huge selection of craft supplies, stones, bone, claws.

If engraving isn't stupidly difficult, I think it would be really ******* to have a set of runes on bear claws, or a mixture of claws and bones.

Claws are symmetrical, so it should be just as random as a coin toss. Only way cooler.

Or I could just go all crazy and do all 3.

Coins for the humans, bones for the undead, claws for the elves.

-Matt

3 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

I made myself a set of runes in bone pretty much first thing and couldn't be happier with them.

In addition to being nice and dense/heavy so they "roll" well out of the hand, being carved in bone scratches my RNG superstitious itch.

I'm hand carving mine, and producing a few sets for interested parties, but it's slow going. Someone with a laser could do the same thing a lot easier, I wager.

L5omXsvl.jpg

Those look really cool but it seems like they might be kind of fiddly with effects like Malcorne's Bequest that care about the inactive runes and not just the active rune.

rwm19_card_malcornes-bequest.png

Just now, WWHSD said:

Those look really cool but it seems like they might be kind of fiddly with effects like Malcorne's Bequest that care about the inactive runes and not just the active rune.

rwm19_card_malcornes-bequest.png

Takes maybe ten seconds to engrave a little divot and color it to match the inactive rune on the opposite side.

Edited by Tvayumat
5 hours ago, Daverman said:

I got the coin capsules and they work great, but this is interesting as my wife does that metal stamping stuff.

There are sets of Viking rune metal stamps out there in the $100+ range. They wouldn't be perfect but you could color tint them to match the Runewars runes... but that's a lot for something like this.

It's a shame that FFG didn't actually use something that looked like historically used runes. They were designed to be readable and distinctive when chiseled into a hard surface. It would have been kind of cool to make runes for this game using a hammer and chisel.

Edited by WWHSD
5 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

It's a shame that FFG didn't actually use something that looked like historically used runes. They were designed to be readable and distinctive when chiseled into a hard surface. It would have been kind of cool to make runes for this game using a hammer and chisel.

Well, Runes in the Runebound universe are a bit more complex than the essential alphabet of runes that we have, historically.

These are dragon-etched symbols that convert raw magical power into a nuanced series of specific and controlled applications. I'd think they'd wind up looking pretty outlandish.

Edited by Tvayumat
5 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

Well, Runes in the Runebound universe are a bit more complex than the essential alphabet of runes that we have, historically.

These are dragon-etched symbols that convert raw magical power into a nuanced series of specific and controlled applications. I'd think they'd wind up looking pretty outlandish.

3ec1db82725681192deec82707f3a0ec_-knowin

I got some river rock tile from home depot. I had to get a 12"x12" piece but I like it. The rocks are a good size and weight. It was a little difficult to etch the symbols that small but they turned out alright. I prefer them to the cardboard that's for sure! IMG_2716.thumb.jpg.a6134f5e48a1f1ff9ed967edd74d162b.jpg

I made mine out of sculpey. Mixed black and grey and white and kneaded it till it had a nice stone color/blend then formed thick square tiles then baked them. Gonna paint on the symbols and clear coat them

Those are cool rock ones!

17 hours ago, Blaied said:

I made mine out of sculpey. Mixed black and grey and white and kneaded it till it had a nice stone color/blend then formed thick square tiles then baked them. Gonna paint on the symbols and clear coat them

@Blaied would like to hear about the durability of this.

On 2/5/2017 at 8:07 PM, Tvayumat said:

L5omXsvl.jpg

I've took your idea and I'm going to do something similar. I've purchased some pieces of bones from aliexpress and I'm going to CNC engraving both sides and cut into circles.

Thanks for your idea! Right now I've designed first symbol. Two more are needed.

i like the bone idea.

Metal or even stone would be simply too hefty and would have a pretty noticeable thunk when they hit the table. Sounds like a cool idea, it isnt since it also shakes everything and can damage models.

I thought about making coins out of Supersculpey Polymer clay, but im kinda expecting them to snap if i make them coin-thick and making them too thick might skew the flip.

On 5/2/2017 at 0:10 PM, bumyong said:

I too purchased the coin capsules that someone else mentioned in another thread. $9 for 25 cases :

001_zps8ared03o.jpg

Sure, metal would be awesome but not sure if it's $100 awesome. These coin cases give a good amount of heft to them.

So I missed that thread. Where did you purchase these cases?

1 hour ago, player562030 said:

So I missed that thread. Where did you purchase these cases?

Pssst...<whisper>There's an Amazon link in the post that you quoted.</whisper>

Edited by WWHSD
On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 4:07 AM, Tvayumat said:

L5omXsvl.jpg

Do you have a link on alliexpress as i am having trouble finding some myself

On 5/2/2017 at 0:10 PM, bumyong said:

001_zps8ared03o.jpg

I played my first game since my capsules showed up. They make a really nice improvement to how the tokens feel. When I shake them in my hand there's some nice tactile feedback that they are actually bouncing around and that make a satisfying sound when they hit the table.