Fanmade cards while we speculate

By Wintersong, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

The Susumu Sisters [5 Fate]

Spider Clan * Twins * Courtier * Shadowlands

2 Mil/5 Pol/0 Glory

Action: Discard the Imperial Favor or lose 3 honor - bow target personality. You may not use this action during a conflict.

"It's easy for a man to lay down laws and rules he knows he won't have to follow"

Isawa Pomei*

3 cost

2/4

Glory 3

Shugenja Fire

Action : Discard the Imperial Favor - Honor one of your characters.

Shosoru Aroru *

4 cost

4/3

Glory 0

Bushi Shinobi

Interrupt: When an action would target one of your friendly Shinobi characters - Redirect the action to another of your Shinobi characters in play, if legal.

Edited by BayushiFugu

Mantra of Air

0 cost Dragon event

Air Kihō

Reaction: When your opponent initiates an Air conflict, target your friendly Monk character in play - Honor that character and draw a card.

Elements Unbalanced

4 cost neutral event

Action: Bow a ready character with an element keyword that you control (A keyword that matches one of the five rings) - Each player discards two cards and removes all fate from non-unique characters they control. Bow all unique characters in play.

Roar!

1 cost lion event

Action: Target participating non-lion character is moved home if it has equal or less glory than target lion character you control. Then, dishonor it if you win this conflict.

Togashi Gaijutsu *

3 cost Dragon Character

0/2

Glory 2

Dragon Clan Monk Tattooed Tattoo Artist

Tattoo cards attach to your characters for 1 less Fate.

Action: Bow Gaijutsu and look at the top 4 cards of your Fate deck - Choose and reveal a Tattoo card from them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your deck in any order.

Wave Tattoo

1 cost Dragon Clan attachment

+1/+0

Tattoo

Attach to a Monk character you control.

Action: If the Water ring is claimed - ready attached character.

"Like the ocean, I am relentless."

Kyuden Yoritomo

10 honor/6 fate/15 influence

During the fate phase if any character in play has 0 fate, discard 1 koku from that character instead of discarding them.

Action: place one koku on a character you control

-------

Bribery 1 fate

Action: Move a Koku from a character you control to a participating character your opponent controls - move that character home. Bow them.

---------

Usury 0 fate

One Per Deck

Interrupt: before you remove the last koku from a character you control - place 1 koku on them instead.

"Interest seemed to be the greatest weapon the Mantis had ever devised."

--------

Corrupt Magistrates 3 Fate

Magistrate Bushi

2 mil/2 pol/0 glory

Reaction: after they enter play either remove one koku from a character or place one koku on a character

---------

Everyone has a Price 0 fate

Action: remove any amount of Koku from characters you control - target and discard a character with glory less than the amount of Koku removed

Edited by Foxtrot Four

Palm Strike

0 cost Dragon Event

Kihō

Action: During a conflict, target an opposing participating character with less than or equal Mil skill as your participating Monk character - Bow the opposing character. It cannot ready this phase.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:14 PM, Foxtrot Four said:

Kyuden Yoritomo

10 honor/6 fate/15 influence

During the fate phase if any character in play has 0 fate, discard 1 koku from that character instead of discarding them.

Action: place one koku on a character you control

-------

I like these.

Something like this?

PoGC.jpg

6 hours ago, Coyote Walks said:

I like these.

Something like this?

PoGC.jpg

It is very powerful as there isn't really a cost associated with keeping one of your characters in play virtually forever. I would almost make it pay 1 fate to add a koku to a character you control. You could then raise the starting fate to 7 and it shouldn't be that imbalanced.

Jotei

4 fate unique neutral conflict character

Creature, Dragon of Reverse Fortunes, Shugenja

3/3/1

Forced Reaction: After Jotei enters play honor this character and gain 2 honor.

cannot attach non-spell attachments.

Yogo Takashi

2 fate unique scorpion character

Courtier, Fallen

-/2/1

Forced Reaction: After Takashi enters play lose 1 honor and draw a card.

Forced Reaction: After Takashi leaves play lose 1 honor and draw a card.

Way of the Mantis

0 cost neutral event

Philosophy

You may not include this card in your deck with another "Way of the..." card.

Interrupt: During the resolution of an event that costs any amount of fate lose 1 honor - reduce the cost of the event by 1 and you may spend one fate off of a Mantis Clan character to shuffle the event into its owner's deck instead of putting it into their discard pile.

Bushido

1 fate Lion event

Philosophy

Action: target your ready Bushi character - Your ready Bushi character gains Sincerity, Courtesy, and Pride until end of turn.

4 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

It is very powerful as there isn't really a cost associated with keeping one of your characters in play virtually forever. I would almost make it pay 1 fate to add a koku to a character you control. You could then raise the starting fate to 7 and it shouldn't be that imbalanced.

True but thats why it's 6 fate. This in tandem with the concept that cards like Everyone Has a Price and Bribery have powerful effects but require you to discard koku from characters you control. So you can forgo ALL mantis/koku cards for the ability to keep ONE personality in play the entire game... tbh I haven't tested it so I'd be interested in the idea.

Also while I'm here...

Exquisite Tastes 2 Fate

Action: remove one koku from any number of characters - honor those characters.

"Honor and Glory seem to be pretty cheap these days"

-------

Force by Proxy 0 Fate[maybe 1 not sure]

Action: Target a participating character you control and remove one koku him - Send him home and reduce the province strength by his [mil] skill. You may remove a koku from him, then straighten him.

------

Stuff like this is what I imagine the Mantis doing.

Grim Duty - 0 Cost - Crab Event (1 influence)

Action: While you are the defending player, choose a participating character you control - Discard that character. Until the end of the conflict, opponents cannot resolve ring effects.

Defend the Wall

0 cost Crab Event

Action: During a Mil conflict at a friendly Province, discard the holding attached to the attacked Province - send all attacking characters home.

15 minutes ago, BayushiFugu said:

Defend the Wall

0 cost Crab Event

Action: During a Mil conflict at a friendly Province, discard the holding attached to the attacked Province - send all attacking characters home.

Way to cheap, with Rebuild being a card this would need to cost at least 2 or 3 fate

Acolyte of the Tao

2 cost Dragon Conflict character

2/1

Glory 1

Monk Tattooed

You may this character as an attachment that reads;

Reaction: When attached character is declared to a conflict, draw 2 cards from your Conflict deck - Put one in your hand and the other on the bottom of your deck.

Togashi Korimi *

3 cost Dragon character

3/3

Glory 2

Monk Tattooed

Korimi has +2 Mil skill when defending.

Reaction: When Korimi wins a conflict - draw a card.

Kakita Matabei *

5 cost crane character

2/5

Glory 2

Duelist Bushi

Reaction: During a conflict, initiate a Pol duel - Resolve the duel. The winner draws two cards.

Hida Bakishi *

4 cost Crab character

7/2

Glory 0

Berserker

Action: During a conflict, sacrifice a friendly character - Bakishi cannot be targeted with actions from your opponent until the conflict ends.

Gempukku

2 cost event neutral

Action: Target a character - Give target character one of the following: +1 mil. and bushi, +1 pol. and courtier, or +1 glory and shugenja.

13 hours ago, P'an Ku said:

Gempukku

2 cost event neutral

Action: Target a character - Give target character one of the following: +1 mil. and bushi, +1 pol. and courtier, or +1 glory and shugenja.

In theory, I like the idea, but three things...
First, it would be thematically weird to play "gempukku" on any characters that are in the card game because we don't really have any child character cards. Furthermore, it would be especially weird to play this card on something like a Champion or Daimyo or the ilk. Maybe if it could only be played on a 0 or 1 cost character.

Second, 2 fate is way too much to pay for what is effectively a +1 and a trait which doesn't inherently do anything on its own. I would say it would be best to maybe compare this to the seals.

26 minutes ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

In theory, I like the idea, but three things...
First, it would be thematically weird to play "gempukku" on any characters that are in the card game because we don't really have any child character cards. Furthermore, it would be especially weird to play this card on something like a Champion or Daimyo or the ilk. Maybe if it could only be played on a 0 or 1 cost character.

Second, 2 fate is way too much to pay for what is effectively a +1 and a trait which doesn't inherently do anything on its own. I would say it would be best to maybe compare this to the seals.

The problem is the traits are all not equal in value. Shugenja is a very powerful trait and in certain decks opens many options, so a 2 cost is about right to add that to a character. Courtier is also a very useful trait with the same effect so again a cost is likely not too far off (I'd likely price it at 1 fate). The issue is Bushi is currently a massively under valued trait so is not worth the 2 fate.

I think I agree with Hobgoblyn, 2 fate seems like way too much. I can't think of a single shugenja-restricted card that I'd willingly pay 2 fate just to forego the restriction for. There miiiight be desperate times where a Cloud the Mind might get you there, but I don't think anyone would include it as a general game plan. And we can't forget that it costs another card to draw. It does have strong parallels to the seals, which have some useful combos to them, but aren't reliable and don't end up increasing the price of the card at all. For example, monks are hugely useful to Dragon, but the Seal is 0-cost, and Cavalry is more important than Shugenja to Unicorn, I believe.

As for the flavor of buffing an older, powerful character, you could make it an attachment with a restriction of attaching only to a character that you just played, like, "Reaction: When a character enters play under your control, attach this to that character from your hand." That way it's more of a historical trait for the character, rather than something that's just happening.

50 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

I think I agree with Hobgoblyn, 2 fate seems like way too much. I can't think of a single shugenja-restricted card that I'd willingly pay 2 fate just to forego the restriction for. There miiiight be desperate times where a Cloud the Mind might get you there, but I don't think anyone would include it as a general game plan. And we can't forget that it costs another card to draw. It does have strong parallels to the seals, which have some useful combos to them, but aren't reliable and don't end up increasing the price of the card at all. For example, monks are hugely useful to Dragon, but the Seal is 0-cost, and Cavalry is more important than Shugenja to Unicorn, I believe.

As for the flavor of buffing an older, powerful character, you could make it an attachment with a restriction of attaching only to a character that you just played, like, "Reaction: When a character enters play under your control, attach this to that character from your hand." That way it's more of a historical trait for the character, rather than something that's just happening.

Against the Waves to be able to ready a tower on request is the main worry for Shugenja trait. Couple that with the synergies in Phoenix for body guarding with Yojimbo and powering cards like Supernatural Storm and it could be problematic.