Painting Ex-spear-ament PLUS Command Units!

By Hepitude, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

COMMAND UNITS are commented below!

Here's my first set of Daqan infantry. Instead of knights serving under one banner, I wanted each knight to have his/her own coat of arms and I'm painting my infantry to support those individual knights. Each set of four infantry will have its own paint scheme, but still be tied together with a predominance of silver armor. You can view the high quality photos on my flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/143447216@N03/33522176794/in/dateposted-public/ and I'll upload more as they are finished.

Runewars Miniatures Blue Spearmen 1 Runewars Miniatures Blue Spearmen 2 Runewars Miniatures Red Spearmen 2 Runewars Miniatures Red Spearmen 1

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by Hepitude
Switched from awful Photo Bucket

Thats some nice freehand, or if it isnt thats some clever faking of freehand.

I like the first guys better personally. Probably biased since i dont like checker patterns

22 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Thats some nice freehand, or if it isnt thats some clever faking of freehand.

I like the first guys better personally. Probably biased since i dont like checker patterns

Haha... yes, I wasn't as happy with the checker pattern once it was done. Looks a bit too much like a picnic blanket.

They both look pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, marinegrunt01 said:

They both look pretty awesome.

Thank you! They take forever though. I'm trying to work on my speed.

The blue-turquoise shield is money.

2 hours ago, Darthain said:

The blue-turquoise shield is money.

I have to agree. Top-notch work!

Truly amazing work!

"Insert jaw drops on the floor sound here"

22 hours ago, Hepitude said:

Haha... yes, I wasn't as happy with the checker pattern once it was done. Looks a bit too much like a picnic blanket.

Aye. Love the blue and turquoise.

And sadly must admit I was thinking tablecloth with the others.

All is not lost though! They are the mighty Daqan First Combat Waiter Regiment ! Spears and fresh baguettes delivered promptly and with courtesy! Try the soup.

outta have a rune golem that looks like Yogi Bear be around the checkered guys....

27 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

outta have a rune golem that looks like Yogi Bear be around the checkered guys....

haha... yes! Maybe a standard bearer with a dinner plate motif. I see now that I really should have just embraced the kitchen theme from the start.

I really like the checker on the shield, but maybe just white on the tabbard.

Edited by Brunscheon
spelling
50 minutes ago, Brunscheon said:

I really like the checker on the shield, but maybe just white on the tabbard.

That's a good suggestion! Keep it from getting too overwhelming.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:25 PM, Hepitude said:

I actually like the checker pattern and it is well executed. Maybe not white and red, even if it is a Saturday nature hike classic.

Here's an update with my newest eight spearmen. They match the green and purple knights I already have completed.

Runewars Miniatures Spearmen Purple Back Runewars Miniatures Spearmen Purple Front Runewars Miniatures Spearment Green Back Runewars Miniatures Spearmen Green Front

Are you freakin kidding me?

Thats freehand? Good god you stepped your game up.

Also how are you doing the basing without messing up the puzzle pieces? i actually ripped my basing off (not that hard with PVA glue holding it down lol) because it was making removing/adding bases annoying as hell.

30 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Are you freakin kidding me?

Thats freehand? Good god you stepped your game up.

Also how are you doing the basing without messing up the puzzle pieces? i actually ripped my basing off (not that hard with PVA glue holding it down lol) because it was making removing/adding bases annoying as hell.

Thanks! I kinda regretted the pattern on the green soldiers because they took so long, but I was really happy with how they turned out. As for the basing, after each step I wipe the edges clean and make sure nothing is going over the sides (at least not thick paint or mud). Scraping the edges with a knife usually does the trick if I missed something or a piece is sticking though.

I also finished up my Command Units for the Daqan. I was on a business trip and brought all my painting stuff to the hotel. I'm not entirely sure what the cleaning staff thought... The flag bearer and the warrior are both done with new unit colors I want to use for Hawthorn when he comes out. The wizard just wears what he wants.

Runewars Miniatures Wizard Front Runewars Miniatures Wizard Back Runewars Miniatures Daqan Flag Bearer Runewars Miniatures Daqan Trumpet Runewars Miniatures Daqan Warrior

Is that an imitated admiralty flag?

WOW! Well done, I love that idea(but not the work that goes into it).

i seriously envy you people that can freehand like that...

I love the banner model to death, but its wavy shape completely screws with any of my attempts to put designs on there (or even water transfers...)

**** those are some gorgeous models!

That banner is truly stunning.

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

That banner is truly stunning.

Thank you! I realized half way through that I'd accidentally made it a little more Scottish than I'd intended. I probably should have gone with a white cross instead of an "x"

What gold did you use? Yours is the brightest/shiniest I've come across.