Need 2 balanced forces from tow starters.

By Keithandor, in Runewars List Building

HI all

I'm madly painting my 2nd starter , need to be painted before we play at my place.

Anyway I havent even looked at list building yet.

Can anyone with experience recommend two forces built to face each other from two stater sets ?

Thanks.

I really need a reference sheet and army list building tool.

Yes please, I'd like some ideas on two balanced list from two starter kits.

Intrested in this aswell

I don't have my core yet, so I'm really not one to talk, but why this interest in balanced armies? At this point in the game's life, I feel like part of the fun is just throwing together what you want and seeing how it does. I also feel like there isn't really enough variance to make the armies feel completely unbalanced, especially with just 2 cores of units.

Also, balance in the armies is going to depend on the objective and terrain placement as well. You could have armies balanced for one objective, but one army does better with a different objective.

Finally, in your early games, the winner and loser will be decided by who makes the fewest mistakes, not who has the better army. There are plenty of ways to make mistakes in this game, from forgetting your triggers to misjudging your movement. That's what I experienced in the (admittedly one) demo game I played. Getting figures on the table and playing with them is more important at this point than army composition, in my opinion.

With that, I would just start with using the recommended formations from the starter scenario. If you double up on those with 2 cores, and you drop the extra hero, it comes out to 166 for Daqan and 155 for Waiqar. Maybe set your total points to 180 and add upgrades until you hit that limit. That gives Daqan 14 points and Waiqar 25 points of upgrades to play with. Maybe you want to go less with 175. It doesn't matter. Just build what looks fun. And this way, you have 7 units to activate on each side.

Now, maybe I'm reading too much into the "balanced" part of this topic and really you're just looking for 2 lists. If so, great. I hope someone with more experience than I have will come along and give you some fun lists to run. But even with 2 "balanced" lists, I wouldn't necessarily expect a close battle the first game for all the reasons I mentioned above.

As a new player and learning it would be nice to have an idea of what item goes with what and how to make two matched/balanced opposing forces.

I have two starters 99% painted and ready , my mate and I are giving it a go this weekend , we are both veteran wargamers from many many other games systems , so my original hope was to be able to create two balanced forces with items etc so we could jump straight in.

It wouldn't be much fun if we set up and play and later realise we made one side much stronger and it wasn't a true representation of the game.

Well here is my attempt , ready for our first game :)

I managed to get them both to 177 points , so we will see how it goes.

+++ Daquan Lords (Runewars) [177 Points] +++

++ Standard Army (Daqan Lords : Wave 0 (2017)) [177 Points] ++

+ Infantry [99 Points] +

Kari Wraithstalker [32 Points]: 1 Tray [32 Points]

Spearmen [32 Points]: 2x2 Trays [30 Points], Trumpets [2 Points]

Spearmen [35 Points]: 2x2 Trays [30 Points], Shield Wall [5 Points]

+ Cavalry [44 Points] +

Oathsworn Cavalry [24 Points]: 2x1 Trays [20 Points], Master Crafted Weapons [4 Points]

Oathsworn Cavalry [20 Points]: 2x1 Trays [20 Points]

+ Siege [34 Points] +

Rune Golems [17 Points]: 1 Tray [17 Points]

Rune Golems [17 Points]: 1 Tray [17 Points]

Created with BattleScribe

+++ 200 Undead (Runewars) [177 Points] +++

++ Standard Army (Waiqar the Undying : Wave 0 (2017)) [177 Points] ++

+ Infantry [147 Points] +

Ardus Ix'Erebus [43 Points]: 1 Tray [37 Points], Ancient Technique [2 Points], Reaping Blade [4 Points]

Reanimate Archers [22 Points]: 2x1 Trays [18 Points], Rank Discipline [4 Points]

Reanimate Archers [18 Points]: 2x1 Trays [18 Points]

Reanimates [33 Points]: 2x2 Trays [26 Points], Terrifying Heraldry [5 Points], Trumpets [2 Points]

Reanimates [31 Points]: 2x2 Trays [26 Points], Bull Pennon [3 Points], Metered March [2 Points]

+ Siege [30 Points] +

Carrion Lancers [15 Points]: 1 Tray [15 Points]

Carrion Lancers [15 Points]: 1 Tray [15 Points]

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by Keithandor

From the games I have played, I feel the Daquan Lords have an advantage with the current models available. I have not figured out a way to deal with both the fast cav and the golems at the same time. I may have to shelve my Waiqar army in favor of the Daquan.

17 minutes ago, Sybarra2566 said:

From the games I have played, I feel the Daquan Lords have an advantage with the current models available. I have not figured out a way to deal with both the fast cav and the golems at the same time. I may have to shelve my Waiqar army in favor of the Daquan.

Have you been getting much blight out? My experience was that in core set games the Waiqar player just didn't have the resources available to blight effectively, but additional archers and ESPECIALLY the upgrade Combat Ingenuity really tipped the scale and made the whole blight engine do work.

We still only have the core sets and have been playing 150 points. Combat Ingenuity is not out yet.

I have found that the fast cav moving speed 6 first turn and then charging turn two AND the golems charging turn three is just overwhelming. Then Kari coming in to mop up.

I can wholeheartedly recommend skimping on upgrades.

As a new player you often tend to forget these anyway.

Keep it simple. After that game you have a fresh, new look on those upgrade cards.

I ran some 150 point games with 2 cores and the undead were cleaning up. a 3X2 unit of reanimates with a carrion lancer and terrifying heraldry is pretty nasty. sit back and blight moving up slowly as you do. when it is time to scrum lay out the panic every round.

On 5/5/2017 at 6:00 PM, Klaxas said:

When it is time to scrum lay out the panic every round.

I think you meant "Release the Panic." :) I think of this song just about every time I read about Reanimates and their incessant morale tests.