Marking Heroes?

By Asylur, in Runewars

Does anyone have a good system for marking the heroes on the board to quickly show which player controls them? When there are 10 running around, it gets confusing trying to remember who controls which the whole time!

I am thinking of trying to get/make plastci rings to fit around the bases (or snap the bases into) and have 3 of each player color. With the painted heroes, the heroes are distinguishable, but it can be hard looking at a hex and seeing Mad Cathos and remember which player he belongs to. I was also debating removing the heroes from the bases, placing small magnets on their feet, and then having magents on colored bases, but that it a lot of work!

Anyone have a creative (preferably easy) solution?

You could just look at who has the Mad Carthos hero card in their play area. =P

Ya, but when around the otehr side of the table, the cards are pretty small. Plus I think it would look cool to have the heroes color coded. I am at the moment I am thinking of getting slightly larger bases (I think the 20 mm round bases should work, is not the 25 surely will) and placing wafer magnets on the bottom of the heores and the tops of the larger bases, painting a set of three bases of each player color, then you can magnetically snap on the appropriate hero each game :+)

If you don't want to mess around with magnets you could just use some poster plasti-tack to stick them to your colored bases. That should stick plenty good for a game and be easily removable.

Asylur said:

Ya, but when around the otehr side of the table, the cards are pretty small. Plus I think it would look cool to have the heroes color coded. I am at the moment I am thinking of getting slightly larger bases (I think the 20 mm round bases should work, is not the 25 surely will) and placing wafer magnets on the bottom of the heores and the tops of the larger bases, painting a set of three bases of each player color, then you can magnetically snap on the appropriate hero each game :+)

If you want to go the magnet route, try gluing the magnet on the base side to the underside of the base. I'm thinking of those GW small bases (non-slotted). There should be plenty of room under there for a small magnet and that way you can paint the whole base in the colour you want. Dig out a little hole int he base of each hero to fit that magnet flush and you'd have quite the snappy set there. =P

More work than I'm willing to do when I can just ask who has the card, but if you're more inclined to the arts and crafts, I wish you the best of luck.

Edit: Even better than digging a hole out of each hero's base, glue the magnet to the bottom of the base and then use modeling putty to "fill in" the rest of the area. Effectively makes the base taller, putting each hero up on a little platform, and doesn't risk accidentally coming up through the base and damaging the mini itself.

****, that's a tempting idea, I must admit...

if you own runebound or descent, you can use the figures from that game in front of the player who owns it and the fig from runewars for the same hero on the map

I painted the base of the figures (try to match the colors with the heroes, "Red" for Red Scorpion, etc)... and I painted in the "white circles" on their reference cards... (and I also laminated the cards too).. this way you and your opponents can see which heroes belong to whom.

As far as magnets go, if you want them to be flush with the figure, you could just use business card magnets... They're cheap, and they're strong enough to hold my metal figures still in my carrying case (I use the business card magnets and a metal tool chest to transport my minis) so they'll be more than strong enough to hold the plastics to their bases for the game.