Showcase: StarViper

By Piscopas, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

All the Virago images I've ever seen have been very close to the official FFG paintjob. It looks bland and grey.

19 minutes ago, Wookiee_Slayer said:

Anyway, is the ship on the Prince Xizor card white in shadows or red? I have a really hard time telling!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor prince xizor card

Looks red to me...

From what I could find, it seems to be grey and often depicted with a purple tint cast upon it. 'Cause Xizor like the purple I guess.

Screen Capture:

Image result for shadows of the empire starviper screen cap

I think Guri flys the same Viper that Xizor owned - looking at her card art makes it clearer that the panel lines are black/dark grey.

cnGWvoT.jpg

87wyS9C.jpg

8siWkrh.jpg

Hug8TcW.jpg

KxYziok.jpg

oEsr3Qw.jpg

35 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

That is astonishing. Words fail.

A like is not enough for that.

😮

😮

😮

First up a 30-minute Star Viper mod and re-paint:

I don't really love the way the stock FFG Star Viper model looks straight out of the package. To me the ship looks a bit to passive. I saw someone modify theirs to sweep the wings back and I wanted to give that a go. The article had a complex procedure of disassembling the model, re-shaping parts, removing glue and re-assembling. I just forced the wings back and hit each with a drop of super glue. Done in 60 seconds.

The stock white star viper is good for the ace Guri, but I wanted to have a second one with a different look in order to distinguish the two. This one I went for a bronze look with a simple sepia ink wash all over, then re-painted the highlights appropriately with orange and yellow. I followed this up by highlighting the guns with some steel dry brushing and a final liberal application of wear and tear with two colors using the torn sponge method. Total time 30 minutes...and well worth it I think!

IMG_20190421_121056.jpg

IMG_20190421_121010.jpg

IMG_20190421_121007.jpg

IMG_20190421_121003.jpg

Edited by AJsWargaming
On 12/2/2018 at 8:48 AM, Velvetelvis said:

Reminds me of the Transformer movie version of Laserbeak.

Image result for transformers laserbeak

I’m surprised noone’s made a Zann Consortium repaint of the Starviper, like metallic with yellow markings.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, Blackreach said:

I’m surprised noone’s made a Zann Consortium repaint of the Starviper, like metallic with yellow markings.

Image result for double take gif

now theres something to do with my vipers!

Here's a jewel scarab (genus Chrysina) inspired Guri:

POQHz2Im.jpg

rtjFLypm.jpg

Can anyone give me some advice on magnetising the wings on the viper?

I've yet to do it, but you're going to need the teeniest magnets.

Search "1mm x 1mm TINY Neodymium Disc Magnets N35" in ebay and you're off to the races!

Complete amateur, but pleased with how my first repaint turned out 😁

Edit: can't see my photo despite uploading it - first time posting a pic - is that because a moderator needs to check it?

Edited by howard83
Photo not showing
3 minutes ago, howard83 said:

can't see my photo despite uploading it - first time posting a pic - is that because a moderator needs to check it?

FFG forums aren't good at native photo hosting, you need to upload it somewhere else first and then use the "insert other media" link at the bottom of the window and paste the link to it. Lots of folks here use Imgur, I've also found that uploading to Discord first and then sharing that link works really well

Just now, Kieransi said:

FFG forums aren't good at native photo hosting, you need to upload it somewhere else first and then use the "insert other media" link at the bottom of the window and paste the link to it. Lots of folks here use Imgur, I've also found that uploading to Discord first and then sharing that link works really well

Great, thanks. I'll give it a go

20190528_212240.jpg

Thanks Kieransi! Very helpful

Working on a Guri as well (work in progress)

20190528_212414.jpg

Beautiful! I love the marbley effect on the first Viper

On 12/2/2018 at 6:48 AM, Velvetelvis said:

FIRST OF ALL WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFF.

SICK

Starviper  . One of my first repaints, which got broken after year or two, so I converted it and touched it up.

IMG-1097.jpg
 IMG-1098.jpg

Guri says  "Trans Rights."

IMG-1099.jpg
 IMG-1100.jpg

On 12/2/2018 at 6:48 AM, Velvetelvis said:

That's some amazing work

On 4/24/2019 at 10:40 AM, RuusMarev said:

Reminds me of the Transformer movie version of Laserbeak.

Image result for transformers laserbeak

It reminds me more of a zerg mutalisk from starcraft

https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Mutalisk