Showcase: StarViper

By Piscopas, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

On 4/27/2017 at 4:47 PM, Barry Harker said:

Well, Ill get this one started then.

And here is a Wing conversion of the Starviper, Something similar to a Stargate Gould/ F-302 Starfighter.

YG7fzl.jpg

XWgdWx.jpg

ohrHs8.jpg

Looking forward to seeing lots of other fancy repaints of the Funky Scum Fighter :D

All the best,

Barry.

As a big star gate fan, i loved that..

On 4/28/2017 at 7:30 PM, Mr Tough Guy said:

8HXlgbc.jpg

Paintscheme inspired by Decepticon Ratbat

Nice one...

On 6/18/2017 at 6:11 PM, Polda said:

It's time to set the padawans to Dreamland and set your Holonet dials to spooky .

TDE1rJ4.jpg

Now that's cool.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:31 PM, theBitterFig said:

Starviper  . One of my first repaints, which got broken after year or two, so I converted it and touched it up.

IMG-1097.jpg
 IMG-1098.jpg

Guri says  "Trans Rights."

IMG-1099.jpg
 IMG-1100.jpg

Guri says Trans Rights!

WIP mod and repaint of a Starviper. It will soon join the Kath Scarlett squad! I'll add more picture soon!

PEUXTKd.png

Update, first rough paint, things need a bit of a cleanup, and i messed up the wash. Looks good from across the table though!

Y4U8LD0.jpg

Edited by NilsTillander

Just about done with this one. I need to find a blue lego lightsaber piece to put in the middle of the ion sparks and then I think I'll call it complete. Thinking about copying this motif for the rest of my ships as this seems to be what happens to them on the table.

image000001_19.jpg?width=811&height=1080

image000003_01.jpg?width=811&height=1080

On 4/28/2017 at 4:47 AM, Barry Harker said:

ohrHs8.jpg

Looking forward to seeing lots of other fancy repaints of the Funky Scum Fighter :D

All the best,

Barry.

How do you get that texture and finish? Is it from dry brush?

It has such a nice grain and yet still looks so smooth. My paints still look lumpy when i take photos even though the layers are applied so thinly.

18 hours ago, Ghosthacked said:

How do you get that texture and finish? Is it from dry brush?

It has such a nice grain and yet still looks so smooth. My paints still look lumpy when i take photos even though the layers are applied so thinly.

If I were to guess, that kind of grain comes from rattle can spray paint/primer. I don't own an air brush, so that might be a possibility also.

@Barry Harker is quite talented, so I wouldn't put it past him, but whenever I get this kind of effect it's usually unintended; for me it typically happens when spraying from too far from the model so the paint gets to dry and/or clump up in the air before it lands on the model. And it is more likely to happen on warmer/dryer days.

Unfortunately Barry doesn't seem to hang around these parts anymore to comment on his process, but I hope this helps.

As for the paint being lumpy, are you using model paints? I know the cheaper acrylic craft paints can get like that. Is your paint old? That could be a factor. Are you letting the paint dry between applications (which you should)?

No matter what state your ships are in, post them up. Work in Progress pics are some of my favorites. Plus you can get feedback!

ha, you're the 2nd one to ask me about my paint brand. I'm using all citadel and thinning with water so going to try using Lahmian next or i'll pick up some vallejo medium.

I've got my paint logs all posted in my thread.

I love me some 'Viper. Difficult to tell in this lighting, but it's a base black with two coats of gem-tone green on the panels, sans any lighter layers. And then the panels are gloss-coated. A nod to the good old days when one could equip an Illicit Cloaking Device to a 'Viper and really get it to move. That green paint is getting old and maybe should be tossed, but I find that I kind of like the odd texturing - it can catch the light sometimes and do odd things.

4mPkCwU.jpg

On 1/22/2020 at 5:25 PM, Force Majeure said:

If I were to guess, that kind of grain comes from rattle can spray paint/primer. I don't own an air brush, so that might be a possibility also.

@Barry Harker is quite talented, so I wouldn't put it past him, but whenever I get this kind of effect it's usually unintended; for me it typically happens when spraying from too far from the model so the paint gets to dry and/or clump up in the air before it lands on the model. And it is more likely to happen on warmer/dryer days.

Unfortunately Barry doesn't seem to hang around these parts anymore to comment on his process, but I hope this helps.

As for the paint being lumpy, are you using model paints? I know the cheaper acrylic craft paints can get like that. Is your paint old? That could be a factor. Are you letting the paint dry between applications (which you should)?

No matter what state your ships are in, post them up. Work in Progress pics are some of my favorites. Plus you can get feedback!

Sorry I haven't been around lately, Ill try and pop in a bit more often now on the forum. But yes, its a spray automotive primer then sprayed base blue, and drybrushed to get the fade. actually very simple 😎

automotive primer? as in primer used for cars?

Here's my take on the starviper. Inspired by velvetelvis' work (and the fact that I agree with the mutalisk idea) so I went for an even more mutalisk style design 😁

AZu4gKh.jpg

OL7du5c.jpg

obQsenm.jpg

Holy smokes! Part of me cringes at the number of Vipers sacrificed for the mod, but the end result is worth it.

I presume there will be a follow up of the re-painted Mutalisk-Viper?

Actually I think I'm gonna leave it as is. It has been said in its current scheme it looks skeletal, and I kinda like it. Maybe one day if I change my mind, but for now no painting. Also didn't like the tie ball on the tail to I switched it for the engine from a kimoglia.