Waiqar - Core Only - 200 Points - "Space Invaders"

By KrisWall, in Runewars List Building

This list is a bit of a goof and would likely be terrible for certain missions, but I thought it would be pretty strong at times. At 192 points, it's a good bet that this list will be the first player and get to pick the mission/deployment. The only really problematic deployment is the one with the corners... Cautious Approach?

• "Space Invaders" - 192pts
  • 6x Reanimate Archer Units (2x1) w/Rank Discipline (22pts each)
  • 4x Carrion Lancer Units (1x1) (15pts each)

The idea is to deploy the Archers in the back, with the Lancers up front. If you can imagine the old arcade game "Space Invaders", the Lancers are the rocks and the Archers represent the spaceship hiding behind the rocks and taking pot shots at oncoming enemies.

Every unit in this army can give an opponent blight tokens. The Lancers would use their skill as often as possible to hand out blight or shift left/right to take any opponent charges. The Archers would use the surge modifier and hope for a surge die result when attacking (likely with Rank Discipline giving a full re-roll) to give out more blight. Focus fire to try and remove entire units in one round of shooting. With all of the blight being handed out, the Lancers should easily survive multiple rounds of combat as I remove dice.

My plan is to try this out over the next couple of weeks. I have 3x core sets worth of Magic Skellingtons. My plan is to do front row Archers, back row sword and board dudes for the 2x1's until the Archers box comes out. I can't imagine that anyone will care. After all, the trays matter. Other than figure upgrades, the models are just wound counters for the trays. Borrow a worm and some command dials from a friend and I'm good to go.

For the careful approach deployment, it will be a matter of practicing setup.

What i would do is set the archers up so that you can get them lined up along the 3' edge facing in, with your lancers screening them.