New Player to this game with unanswered question.

By Shanearmstrong, in General Discussion

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry if these have been answered before and I did not see the answers. I am new to Eldritch Horror and it's vast complexities. I played it for the first time yesterday (by myself) with 2 characters so I can get a feel for the game and answer any questions my friends will have.

There is still a question I have though that I can't seem to find answers to. I looked in the manuals, FAQ's etc.. but still didn't answer my question, so I am hoping some of you may be able to assist me.

I am only playing the base game, no expansions (yet). Here is the question I have:

Q: If you are occupying a town space (e.g. San Francisco etc...) that has a gate spawned and a monster on it, and you fail to defeat the monster during the encounter phase, do you still spawn the event card for San Franciso (green cards) or the gate (portal card) as part of the encounter phase in order to close the gate? I know you can choose either the gate or the city as a choice but in this scenario, you would obviously want to close the gate. Or do you not get that encounter card until the enemy is defeated on that space?

Again total noob here, so any help would be appreciated....my mind was literally melted yesterday after reading through the manuals etc... I played for 3.5 hours before I had to remove the game from our dinner table :( so I did not get to finish, but I know I would have lost lol.

Thanks All for the assitance!

Disregard this.

I apparently am blind and it's clear in black and white in the rules. Even though I've read them twice, 3rd times a charm I suppose.

Sorry to bother everyone.

1 hour ago, Shanearmstrong said:

Disregard this.

I apparently am blind and it's clear in black and white in the rules. Even though I've read them twice, 3rd times a charm I suppose.

Sorry to bother everyone.

No worries. If you're stuck on something, don't be afraid to ask. We're pretty friendly around here. Worst case scenario, we give you a tiny bit of flak first... but we'll help you out. ;)

Great Thank You!

I found a question that I need help with. It revolves around the expedition spaces (Amazon, Jungle, Antarctica, Pyramids, Himalayas, and Tunguska).

Do they count as a city (by that I mean like Rome or San Francisco) so that you can prepare for travel from them?

4 hours ago, Shanearmstrong said:

Great Thank You!

I found a question that I need help with. It revolves around the expedition spaces (Amazon, Jungle, Antarctica, Pyramids, Himalayas, and Tunguska).

Do they count as a city (by that I mean like Rome or San Francisco) so that you can prepare for travel from them?

Welcome Shane! It has to be a city space. These are noted by the Black City Icon that is by the location name. All the expedition spaces fall under the category of Wilderness. They are meant to be discovering stuff out in the middle of nowhere away from civilization, so you can't count on a ticket broker to be there to help you out! Like KBlumhardt said, we're all here to share knowledge, and even ask our own questions.

The expansions add expeditions to some cities but there are still expedition spaces and city spaces.

Edited by Meretrix

Thanks for the reply LordPyrex. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks for that info Meretrix. Currently I'm only playing the base game, but I like it, so I'll probably expand. It's good to know that info.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome aboard :)

Have fun, ask questions when necessary, and submit them stats :D

Ok I think this is my last question, and I'm sure it's a no brainer, but my wife and I have different view points, so here for clarification.

When you acquire asset cards, and they say "action" in bold, does it cost one of your 2 actions at the begining of your turn to use these or do you get to use your 2 actions first then use these cards?

I'm under the impression that it counts as 1 of your 2 actions, but my wife thinks you get 2 actions plus these cards.

Which of the 2 is it?

As for stats Runko....0/3 Lol.

3 hours ago, Shanearmstrong said:

Ok I think this is my last question, and I'm sure it's a no brainer, but my wife and I have different view points, so here for clarification.

When you acquire asset cards, and they say "action" in bold, does it cost one of your 2 actions at the begining of your turn to use these or do you get to use your 2 actions first then use these cards?

I'm under the impression that it counts as 1 of your 2 actions, but my wife thinks you get 2 actions plus these cards.

Which of the 2 is it?

If the card has " Action: " then you are correct, it costs one of your two actions to use.

Edited by KBlumhardt
20 hours ago, Shanearmstrong said:

If you're interested, there's a thread on the General Discussion board that allows you to plug in all the information. Such as Ancient Old One, Investigators used, outcomes, and more. It helps to keep track of how balance is and how the game is working out.