Terrain Cards - one set only?

By KrisWall, in Runewars Rules Questions

Hello all! I went through the rules and couldn't find an answer. I may easily have missed something.

Let's say I've purchased 2x core boxes. That means I'll own a total of 8 terrain cards. Do I shuffle them all together before picking terrain, or do I only use a single set? Typically, FFG games have wording limiting us to one 'set' of components. I'm assuming one set only, but can't find an answer.

Thoughts?

In home games I would only be using the cards from one core set.

My guess is that for tournaments, each player will be allowed to bring 3 (or 2, whatever half of the amount in the core set is) terrain cards and the pieces associated with them. Or, perhaps each player brings a full set and the player who chooses deployment zones gets to use their terrain.

Whatever the tournament rules end up being, they will need to be variable for terrain as hero expansions add additional terrain pieces.

Unless the tournament rules specify that a single instance of the terrain deck is to be shared I would recommend using two sets when playing games at home since it will represent all the possible outcomes you may face in a tournament.

But yeah, Ive also thought about it with two cores but I guess the rules for organised play will tell us all we need to know about it.

If you don't care at all for the organised play rules, then just use whatever and how many you want! Your game, your rules!

Just to put it out there, in X-Wing each player is supposed to bring 3 of a dozen possible obstacles. You combine them with the other players for a pool of 6 total and take turns placing them in the play area. In Armada you use a complete set of 6 obstacles from the core set for each game (1 station, 2 debris fields, 3 asteroid fields).

I don't have a RMG core set yet (LGS got their shipment late) so I'm not sure what is in it but it looks like there is additional terrain in the Latari starter set. I could see something closer to the X-Wing type of system where each player gets to select a number of obstacles and combine them with their opponent to create a pool.

49 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

In home games I would only be using the cards from one core set.

My guess is that for tournaments, each player will be allowed to bring 3 (or 2, whatever half of the amount in the core set is) terrain cards and the pieces associated with them. Or, perhaps each player brings a full set and the player who chooses deployment zones gets to use their terrain.

Whatever the tournament rules end up being, they will need to be variable for terrain as hero expansions add additional terrain pieces.

I think that whatever FFG ends up doing with this one player will provide all of the terrain cards in the tournament rules. Since the cards get shuffled together and dealt out I can't really see them mixing components from different players like that.

The hero expansions also include terrain

7 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I think that whatever FFG ends up doing with this one player will provide all of the terrain cards in the tournament rules. Since the cards get shuffled together and dealt out I can't really see them mixing components from different players like that.

That was my thought as well.

3 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Hmm...Thats possible. But if new objectives, terrain and deployment are included with expansions this becomes awkward. Either they will stick to only the core set components or it will be some form of supply from both players.

Perhaps each player supplies 3 of each for the pool, giving a total of 6 options for each category.

13 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Hmm...Thats possible. But if new objectives, terrain and deployment are included with expansions this becomes awkward. Either they will stick to only the core set components or it will be some form of supply from both players.

Perhaps each player supplies 3 of each for the pool, giving a total of 6 options for each category.

It will probably be each player brings a set of terrain and then you use one of the player's terrain decks to draw the terrain per the set up rules. Then players alternate placing it. Whichever terrain deck you end up using will probably be tied to initiative.

3 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

It will probably be each player brings a set of terrain and then you use one of the player's terrain decks to draw the terrain per the set up rules. Then players alternate placing it. Whichever terrain deck you end up using will probably be tied to initiative.

Probably works in with objectives and deployment zones as well.

22 minutes ago, Soulless said:

The problem I see with that is that in X-Wing I can mark my asteroids to show ownership without changing how they work.

Short of writing on the front of the card, doing something to indicate ownership on terrain cards effects how they work (as you can identify the cards somewhat when they are shuffled together). Even sleeving the cards becomes problematic unless all players use sleeves and use more or less the same sleeves.

Edited by WWHSD

Expecting one player to bring all possible terrain options is unreasonable as that would currently involve having to buy a core box, a Latari army box, Ankar Mauro and Lord Hawethorne. Presumably, the upcoming 4th faction army box will also have terrain.

I don't see an immediately obvious solution given that each player is likely to own different amounts of terrain. I think it makes the most sense to expect each player to bring, say, 3-4 cards and then shuffle them all together to form a deck.

FFG needs to add something about how to choose terrain.

1 minute ago, KrisWall said:

Expecting one player to bring all possible terrain options is unreasonable as that would currently involve having to buy a core box, a Latari army box, Ankar Mauro and Lord Hawethorne. Presumably, the upcoming 4th faction army box will also have terrain.

I don't see an immediately obvious solution given that each player is likely to own different amounts of terrain. I think it makes the most sense to expect each player to bring, say, 3-4 cards and then shuffle them all together to form a deck.

Not all of them, it would be a preset number, likely equal to what comes in the core box.

Just now, KrisWall said:

I don't expect that you'll need to bring all possible terrain cards just as I don't think that you'll need to bring all possible objective or deployment cards. My guess is that each player will be required to bring a terrain deck, objective deck, and deployment deck with a certain number of cards in each. The decks from each player won't be shuffled together, instead there will be something that determines which player's deck is used for each thing.

14 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

The problem I see with that is that in X-Wing I can mark my asteroids to show ownership without changing how they work.

Short of writing on the front of the card, doing something to indicate ownership on terrain cards effects how they work (as you can identify the cards somewhat when they are shuffled together). Even sleeving the cards becomes problematic unless all players use sleeves and use more or less the same sleeves.

Yeah but in my example I wasn't intending any of the cards to be randomly drawn.

Each player simply places 3 of each card on the table and that is the cards available for selection during the setup. As opposed to the core rules, there would be a selection 6 cards not 3 but otherwise everything is the same.

So you can mark or sleeve your cards in any way you like :)

Edited by Soulless

I'm using the terrain cards from both sets. More variety in what will be seen on the battlefield.

Sounds like the rules are missing then. Right now, it looks like the rules don't explain how to use upcoming additional terrain and mission/deployment cards.

9 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Sounds like the rules are missing then. Right now, it looks like the rules don't explain how to use upcoming additional terrain and mission/deployment cards.

Not quite. Right now, the core box has rules for using the core box components. Use all the included terrain cards. It is entirely possible that the expansions that come with terrain will explain how to add that terrain to friendly games. The tournament rules will specify how terrain is selected for competitive tournaments.

25 minutes ago, JasonGlass said:

I'm using the terrain cards from both sets. More variety in what will be seen on the battlefield.

It seems like this would make things more uniform. You could draw the same thing more than once, or more than twice for the rocky outcrop/spikes.

6 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Not quite. Right now, the core box has rules for using the core box components. Use all the included terrain cards. It is entirely possible that the expansions that come with terrain will explain how to add that terrain to friendly games. The tournament rules will specify how terrain is selected for competitive tournaments.

Nope... My comment stands. The rules to use announced but unreleased products are missing. We only know how to play games using the contents of the core set. We don't currently know how to play games using the contents of the Latari army box or the two hero expansions. Those rules are missing. I expect that the Rules Reference will be updated when the new products come out.

New mission selection/deployment selection/terrain selection rules are needed to tell us how to use the upcoming products in both casual and tournament settings.

19 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

It seems like this would make things more uniform. You could draw the same thing more than once, or more than twice for the rocky outcrop/spikes.

The possible combinations increases a lot. Also, I like the possibility of double woods and the like. It's realistic and makes for new, interesting decisions. If you only play with the existing 4 cards, you're going to find yourself playing on the same battlefield over and over.

1 minute ago, JasonGlass said:

The possible combinations increases a lot. Also, I like the possibility of double woods and the like. It's realistic and makes for new, interesting decisions. If you only play with the existing 4 cards, you're going to find yourself playing on the same battlefield over and over.

Almost every X-Wing game is played using the same old asteroid and debris templates. Those players don't seem to mind. In fact, I heard the game sells pretty well. :P

33 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Nope... My comment stands. The rules to use announced but unreleased products are missing. We only know how to play games using the contents of the core set. We don't currently know how to play games using the contents of the Latari army box or the two hero expansions. Those rules are missing. I expect that the Rules Reference will be updated when the new products come out.

New mission selection/deployment selection/terrain selection rules are needed to tell us how to use the upcoming products in both casual and tournament settings.

I wouldn't anticipate them adding that to the core rules reference. The expansions themselves will come with the requisite rules. In other words, we will have them when we need them.

1 hour ago, KrisWall said:

Almost every X-Wing game is played using the same old asteroid and debris templates. Those players don't seem to mind. In fact, I heard the game sells pretty well. :P

Come on now. X-Wing units also never stop swooping around and shooting at each other. Should Runewars be the same because X-Wing sells well, or should it be its own game?

26 minutes ago, JasonGlass said:

Come on now. X-Wing units also never stop swooping around and shooting at each other. Should Runewars be the same because X-Wing sells well, or should it be its own game?

Sheesh. My point was that having a limited pool of terrain/obstacles doesn't mean that the game will feel repetitive.

Also, we currently know about 7 different terrain pieces, with one being repeated and all being double sided. Really, there are 14 different terrain pieces. That gives A LOT of different combinations. Given the extremely high number of variations combined with the 9 different deployment cards we know about and the fact that players will place terrain in different places every time... I don't think you'll ever see the exact same table layout.