Got my core set...all is good...I think...

By Joker2007, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

So I got my first core set...there it was, sitting on my front porch, exuding a glow like an angel from heaven. Was I excited? Happy? Giggling like a schoolgirl? Why yes. Yes I was. I tore open the box and started greedily fondling the goodies inside...unable to control the urge to get those minis in my hands. With a crazed gleam in my eye I took in all the details. Grabbing my trusty xacto knife and a fresh blade I went to work!!! 30 minutes later I thought I had the first reanimate cleaned up...right about then the heavenly glow faded away.

Kind of long winded, wasn't it?

So...the mold lines on my core set are...God awful. After about 2 hours of work, I have 4 skellies primed and ready for basecoating.

Now, I've been building models and painting minis for more than 3 decades...I'm no stranger to difficult builds and the prep that is necessary. With that being said, I'll admit that these are driving me batsh@t crazy. At this rate, my core will take 8 years to paint.

I hate the plastic these are made from. PVC, whatever. I said it. I hate it. With a passion. What really sucks is I love the sculpts. The look of them, the poses, they are fantastic.

Ok. I vented. I feel a bit better.

My question to all of you is (especially those who have 2 core sets): have you noticed a difference in the mold lines from different boxes? Some of the minis I have look like they came from molds that have been used for 20 years. The amount of flash on some of them is insane...was thinking about getting another core just to compare.

BTW, I will still buy all the expansions and support and hype the game cuz I think it is awesome.

I know the feeling of sitting there cutting away mold lines all too well. I don't however think that these models are much worse than other ones. I remember alot of my tyranids being full of mold lines as well. I think the annoying part with mold lines is models that have round shapes, like the mold lines on the small bony limbs and heads are annoying to cut away. But mold lines on like a sword or axe goes pretty fast and won't be as noticible.

Then I think we (me inlcuded) are getting a bit carried away with models. I washed them in soapy water and then I cut away mold lines for hours then primed them and saw the lines better and took to the blade again. Then I watch my painted models and unless you look closely at the spots I know there is lines you won't notice it.

I do however feel the plastic is alot softer than what I am used to, when gluing the models the legs bends to the point I'm afraid I will break em off. I don't look forward to gluing the archers.

Will writing this you got me curious so I opened my second core, while both were bought at the same store, the reanimates in my second box loke way cleaner actually.

Well crap. That means another core box to hide from my wife. Thanks for the info Jocke, appreciate it!

I have 2 Core Sets, and only four figs had noticeable mold lines. I must be the lucky one.

Got 2 cores. I was very thorough and it took me around 3 hours to prep and glue all the figures.

The mold lines were fine.

I have 2 core sets. Most of the mould lines are hidden in such a way that you have to really look closely to notice them. The few that I needed to remove took me maybe 1 hour for both sets combined. It sounds like the mold you got, was really bad. If you took any pictures of them, you could send it to FFG for investigation.

Ya I have to say to start I'm not hyper nitpicky about mold lines. I typically clean the ones that would be super noticeable and leave the ones under legs or bottoms of cloaks/wraps etc but it took me maybe an hr to do the whole daqan side of the set ( I'm still painting that so haven't started on skellys yet)

the palstic is is a bit bendy but far far from the worst pvc I've seen i actually think it's pretty decent

I will clean up my models obviously but don't want to obsess over mold lines on these rank and file footmen. Maybe on the siege units and horses and heroes I will pay extra attention to that.