RPG and RUNEWARS (Creating Lore)

By Versch, in Runewars Lore and History of Terrinoth

Baiting the hook just to see what I catch...

I want to combine my two current gamespeed mood hotness': RUNEWARS and RPG (5E Specifically).

Any Avid to 'Willing to Plunge' D&D5Eers that would want to give this mash-up a try?

Roll20 would have to be the vehicle for this endeavor.

Dano

Edited by Versch

I haven't touched DnD since 3.5, but I'd give it a shot for a Terrinoth campaign.

I would be willing to play but it would depend on how frequent the game is

As someone who was always more of a Shadowrun player than D&D, and hadn't played D&D since 2nd ed, I gotta say that 5th Ed was pretty slick and impressed me.

I'm hoping that FFG will eventually release an RPG based on their Star Wars system in the Runebound universe. There are some fantasy conversions out there and I've done one myself, but I would love to play an offical narrative dice system game in this universe.

there are so many better systems than DnD...IMHO for general roll playing I like Savage Worlds, the FFG star wars system is great for cinematic game play, Iron Kingdoms is basically narrative warmachine...the D20 just seems...bland and slow to me now...

8 hours ago, jek said:

there are so many better systems than DnD...IMHO for general roll playing I like Savage Worlds, the FFG star wars system is great for cinematic game play, Iron Kingdoms is basically narrative warmachine...the D20 just seems...bland and slow to me now...

I so wish we had a Terrinoth module for the dice based SWRPG system FFG has developed.

I've got 5E experience.

Hmm, maybe a survivor of Nerekhall experimentation on the run, with a demon grafted into him that manifests sometimes as a fleshy blade arm.

(IE, Warlock Infernal Blade Pact)

On 4/26/2017 at 8:20 AM, jek said:

I have tons of rp experience. While I do think 5e is the best version of dnd i also am not a huge fan. It's not slow really it's just the variance on a single d20 is so huge that even a specialized character is subject to more luck than I like.

7 hours ago, Klaxas said:

I have tons of rp experience. While I do think 5e is the best version of dnd i also am not a huge fan. It's not slow really it's just the variance on a single d20 is so huge that even a specialized character is subject to more luck than I like.

That's just the nature of the d20 system, though.

Narrative formats that aren't competitive thrive less on balance, and more on cinematic chance.

I like to give players "Suspension of Disbelief" points they can spend to ease some of the more ridiculous results, or push a good result over the top.

Idea shamelessly stolen from the old Stainless Steel Rat RPG.

I had been speculating for a while if FFG plans to adapt their RPG system from SWRPG (which I really like) to making some kind of Runewars RPG, but the more I've thought about it the less I think the dark epic fantasy with perpetual warfare theme would really play well with the cinematic, story-driven style of the FFG system. I love some of the dice-minimalism they've tried to work into Runewars, and I'd love to see them work some kind of fusion between Runewars and Descent systems to allow you to have an epic hero with all the warfare without losing the grandeur of the lore. I would love to see a lore book, as several have been clamoring for, but with the additional of having notes in it on how to work it in as an RPG setting without any of the rules. Perhaps something like "Adventures in Terrinoth" sections to the book that give ideas for dungeons and heroes and adventures.

On 4/26/2017 at 7:20 AM, jek said:

Dnd is a heroic system, where you get tougher as you level up. It could work especially with 5e.

Savage world is a skill based game. As you progress you buy skills and edges. I think this would be better. Starting with a flavor package like in their Runepunk setting. Since with the established rule system ($10 rulebook), it would just take a setting book... hum I may look into this.

I'd love to see where this project goes, and what kind of original material the community comes up with.

I have been playing a lot of IK with crafted RPG terrain, light sources, and props. It would be amazing to see what original plots come out of a world that - comparatively to other settings - really hasn't been explored at all.

Working with savage worlds I have a rough outline.

I have a very rough draft of the following: Races, Armory, magic, and G.M. section.

I'd be interested. I don't know much about the lore other than what I've read scattered over the interwebs. But I know 5th pretty well.

Edited by wisetiger7

I remember back on thedarkcity.net I used to run Dark Eldar rps (forum-post by post sorta things. It was slower than a regular rp, but tended to go pretty smoothly and everybody got their weekly posts in and such) although people always left so I've sorta given up on that.

I could try to set up a similar sorta RP on these forums, if anybody would be interested. (I'd need a few days. Or, more likely, one night with alot of caffeine to keep me up)

-----------

Also, I'd be up for trying a Runewars RPG system using the 5th edition mechanics, although I haven't played DND since AD&D 2.0 (I think that's what it was)

Well FFG just announced a generic RPG rule set based on their Star Wars system. They implied sourcebooks detailing settings will be announced in the future. I would be surprised if we didn't get one for Runebound!

Well that's exciting, its like they are using the star wars money to test and learn to make their own IP better...This comes out just as I realize that D&D 5e isn't actually as bad a system as I expected it to be...oh well...

1 hour ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Well FFG just announced a generic RPG rule set based on their Star Wars system. They implied sourcebooks detailing settings will be announced in the future. I would be surprised if we didn't get one for Runebound!

I'm thinking your might be correct since they mention using this Genesys system to run a game in the Android setting.

Did anybody else see that for the Genesys system, under "Player Resources" they released a " Terrinoth Adventure "? I am going to read through it when I get done with some more writing.

On 12/1/2017 at 1:56 AM, Parakitor said:

Did anybody else see that for the Genesys system, under "Player Resources" they released a " Terrinoth Adventure "? I am going to read through it when I get done with some more writing.

I playtested this scenario. I thought it had some great ideas and was fun overall. I think it was available to be played in official GenCon events. Very cool of them to put it online!

I know its an old thread, but I'm currently doing a 3.5 campaign in the Terrinoth world.... I've been putting together a ton of lore and info here.

https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523