Story Changes

By SirEuain, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

3 hours ago, okuma said:

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Advisor

A position she held for three years in the original storyline... Oh, she was also Scorpion clan champion. And Scorpion clan thunder. Three titles she held by herself. The wife of the champion isn't a champion.

I stand corrected on the advisor role, but the other titles she held later. I was specifically referring to pre-Coup ;)

3 hours ago, sndwurks said:

Kuronohasu

I like the reading Kokuren for "black lotus" better (it sounds more Buddhist), but it would also then be a homonym for "the United Nations." Another option might be Anren (literally "dark lotus"), but the problem in the end with this discussion is that a lot of L5R names actually already sound silly in Japanese. Basically have you ever seen a Japanese video game or anime with characters who have weird-sounding English-esque names? It's like that.

On the AMA :

"Hotaru's only siblings are Doji Kuwanan and (by adoption) Doji Shizue. ~ Katrina"

So those 2 are still there.

It's a bit late but I just wanted to say I called it. As someone who got into the game just before it was sold to ffg I knew that they would need to rewind the story so that they could bring in new players.

Ok, enough with the gloating. I see a lot of options for FFG to take. I stopped fallowing it but they did do some voting for new cards in Netrunner as part of organized play and with the branching story in Arkham Horror card game (its smaller but one could consider it practice) I think that they have been getting ready to pull this off. I honestly hope that the major points of Hida Kisada's lifes stay the same as he is one of the reasons I decided to play the game and crab clan.

8 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Anyone else notice that they've changed the name of the throne? It used to be the Emerald Throne at this point in the timeline. They story parts now talk about the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Yeah I did. I wonder why. (Well besides the obvious Emperor of Japan thing) Personally I would have gone with "Jade Throne". (No worries about the taint when you are sitting on that one. :) )

15 hours ago, sndwurks said:

Kind of? Kokujin is the Japanese word for a person of African descent. It means, literally, Black (Koku-) Man (-jin). It is not considered the pejorative version of the term for people of African descent (which a little internet research will help you find), but it is still something which I feel should be corrected. For example, I feel making him Togashi Kuronohasu would be better, Kuronohasu translating to "Black/Dark Lotus". Or even Kurojin, which would be written the same but does not carry the same societal implication.

That's interesting and informative. I still like saying it though and he was one of my favorite personalities.

jpeg I don't know, I feel like his name is just fine when you consider his first card.

Makes me wonder if we will see the return of the Harriers

Crap. I just realized Shiro Hiruma is still in enemy hands. :angry:

42 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

Might or might not be! This hasn't been pitched as a strict "history diverged at X point, so all things before then are the same" AU -- I think they said in the AMA that they may introduce elements of earlier canon depending on whether they suit the current story. So if they want the Hiruma to still have their castle, it'll happen.

There is something which I hope they change: The Battle of White Stag. Having Gaijin with cannon and gunpowder 700 years ago requires an explanation of why they never came back. I think they could probably do with reducing the tech level of the foreigners and also bringing it further forward in time.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

There is something which I hope they change: The Battle of White Stag. Having Gaijin with cannon and gunpowder 700 years ago requires an explanation of why they never came back.

They did have an explanation here: a Plot Plague wiped them out.

1 minute ago, AtoMaki said:

They did have an explanation here: a Plot Plague wiped them out.

Yeah, and it was a bad one: Changing White Stag removes the need for a Plot Plague.

7 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

Of course, there might not even be a Hiruma family...

I'd be surprised if the Eager Scout wasn't a Hiruma.

There's probably still a Hiruma Family. But most likely the Falcon are still a Minor Clan, the Moto are still in the Burning Sands, and there's no Shogun or Jade Champion.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:53 PM, Builder2 said:

In doing so, though, certain families would lost much of their identity, such as the Utaku.

They kinda already lost the driving force behind their matriarchy when the setting changed from being majority patriarchy and female bushi being the exception rather than an accepted norm.

9 hours ago, BitRunr said:

They kinda already lost the driving force behind their matriarchy when the setting changed from being majority patriarchy and female bushi being the exception rather than an accepted norm.

What? :huh: The Utaku was not just about matriarchy and many female bushi. Was about the most honorable Unicorn family, following their tradition of only the woman riding while the male took care of horses. Males that could be bushi but in other families' schools. And sacred horses derived of gaijin horse and unicorn mix that only with some exceptions, like Daidoji Rekai, could only be rode by Utaku females.

What other rokugani families do with their hierarchy would not change all that. From a flavor point of view.

Male Utaku could not ride Utaku steeds into war any other time they were allowed. But only the Shiotome went into battle upon them.

Regarding Dragon character that could be a good reader surrogate, especially for people new to Rokugan: I think a Kitsuki would probably be the best choice. It would allow the writers to show many facets of the clan, and the larger world, in a manner more aligned with Western thought, at least when it comes to investigating mysterious.

Speaking of the Dragon in this new version of Rokugan, I hope this time there is no Tamashii nonsense. The ret-con of Togashi was a mess, and made a lot of established characters and lore not work (which is part of why t hey had to dump Hoshi. If Togashi wasn't really a capital-D Dragon, then why was Hoshi half-Dragon, etc).

Also, I do hope they have Iuchiban show up eventually, but handle it far better than AEG did. He was incredibly one-note, and his battles with Sezaru were friggin' Draginball Z level silliness.

Basically, I guess what I'm really saying is that I hope they never take a Rich Wulf approach to the setting or characters. Wulf is a talented writer, but he did two things that I think were very bad for L5R: One, he tried to explain things that were meant to mysterious and mythological, and ended up making them either bland, or even less plausible. Two, he turned Shugenja into ridiculously overpowered super-heroes. So many of them flying around, blowing everything up.

Edited by Togashi Gao Shan
Just added more thoughts.
On 2017/4/21 at 4:36 PM, shineyorkboy said:

Hey, it gives you guys a goal to aim for straight out of the gate, right? You had better get cracking on liberating that castle!

I personally will be enjoying the first 5-minutes of story where the Phoenix aren't tainted.

Edited by Suzume Tomonori

Phoenix Fans: The most shocking thing you could do to us is present our faction well.

It was sometimes fun to play corrupt Phoenix in casual gaming: I had a Darkest Magics control deck.

However, when it comes to important tourneys, remember that there is no necessity for us to be reborn from the fires of (blah) every other year ! Once is enough for a decade.

On 4/20/2017 at 5:40 PM, Robin Graves said:

Yeah I did. I wonder why. (Well besides the obvious Emperor of Japan thing) Personally I would have gone with "Jade Throne". (No worries about the taint when you are sitting on that one. :) )

Don't the Crab technically have the right to claim any jade in the empire they want? Maybe it'd be best not to leave open a backdoor method of snagging the throne. You know the Yasuki would at least consider it.

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

It was sometimes fun to play corrupt Phoenix in casual gaming: I had a Darkest Magics control deck.

However, when it comes to important tourneys, remember that there is no necessity for us to be reborn from the fires of (blah) every other year ! Once is enough for a decade.

Once in a decade is enough? Is this like the Kaiu Wall? That one supposed to protect from the Shadowlands but that in the CCG was breached quite often?