Lasers

By Carlos Rafael, in Runewars Rules Questions

Should we be using lasers to determine LOS or does the width of the range ruler matter?

The width of the ruler does not matter, only a point line is needed for LOS.

Lasers should work just fine.

The only time the width of the ruler technically matters is determining unit swing when they charge you on a corner to figure out if they flanked you or hit you head on. It specifies any tray the ruler touches is to be ignored when determining which side of the ruler has more trays, so width will be a factor.

For LOS, its just a line. Lasers ftw.

I've used line lasers for a while with XWing and Armada, and there is no reason to not use them for LOS. However, keep in mind that depending on the height and angle that you hold a laser at (as well as the quality of the laser!) there may be some curvature or distortion. This really isn't any worse in my opinion than the warping that occurs with a cardboard range template, but some people get picky. Just make sure you ask a new opponent at your FLGS if they mind for you to use a laser to find LOS. Most people will love it as it speeds the game up to not have to quibble over how you are holding the template.

13 hours ago, drkpnthr said:

I've used line lasers for a while with XWing and Armada, and there is no reason to not use them for LOS. However, keep in mind that depending on the height and angle that you hold a laser at (as well as the quality of the laser!) there may be some curvature or distortion. This really isn't any worse in my opinion than the warping that occurs with a cardboard range template, but some people get picky. Just make sure you ask a new opponent at your FLGS if they mind for you to use a laser to find LOS. Most people will love it as it speeds the game up to not have to quibble over how you are holding the template.

Do you have a recommendation for a laser brand?

The ones I've been using are a cheap line laser unit sold by Harbor Freight for about $5. They are for rotary and table saws, and come with a little mounting bracket that you can remove or mount to surfaces with a glue pad or magnets. I have mine with the magnets and stick it right to the side of the metal case I transport my gear in (and plan to utilize once I've magnetized my runewars bases). Its a decent unit, projects a good beam up to 10 ft without much scatter, and has a nice crisp light that is easy to distinguish when I've used it with Xwing/Armada/40k/Warmahordes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

Edited by drkpnthr

May I just say how confusing it is every day to come into forums for a quasi-medieval game and see a topic entitled Lasers ?

It only takes me a nanosecond to remember the actual point of the topic, but for that wee nanosecond I'm thinking, "What the deuce?!?"