Carrion Lancer Surge; Spend blight?

By MarkCx, in Runewars Rules Questions

Hi all,

Carrion Lancer surge ability says spend a surge to add a mortal strike if the defender has a blight token. From the wording, you don't have to spend the blight token in order to get the strike, is that right? If you have multiple surges, though, I assume you can spend multiple surges to get multiple strikes, even if the defender only has 1 blight token?

Cheers

Mark

Nope. It is a simple "If you meet X you get to do Y" ability

I think so, as long as the opponent had at least one blight token you can trigger your surge ability how many times you wish and can, the blight is not removed

@MarkCx you are correct. The ability does not say "spend a blight token"

So the carrion lancer can trigger up to 5(or 7 if your flanking) mortal strikes off of 1 blight token.

6 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

@MarkCx you are correct. The ability does not say "spend a blight token"

So the carrion lancer can trigger up to 5(or 7 if your flanking) mortal strikes off of 1 blight token.

That's some sobering math. Ardus could do six, potentially.

22 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

That's some sobering math. Ardus could do six, potentially.

Suddenly those blue dice don't look so bad do they?

5 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Nope. It is a simple "If you meet X you get to do Y" ability

Exactly, when you remove tokens after an ability, they specify with the word spend

It's just a surge ability, so if you have a surge and opponent has a blight, you can add a mortal wound. It would be surge + if you could add one per surge

7 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

It's just a surge ability, so if you have a surge and opponent has a blight, you can add a mortal wound. It would be surge + if you could add one per surge

But you can activate surge abilities any number of times. Unless it is a surge+ then you can only activate it once

Kind of sounds like the same thing. Activating once multiple times (surge+), activating multiple times for one(surge), ends in the same result .

I think a surge ability can only be activated once, any extra surges are wasted. Otherwise, why bother with a surge+ ability?

You can do it only once per dice roll (after all modifications). If you get to attack twice, you may use it twice (for example with that card that lets other unit attack + stun)

Edited by druchii7
24 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Kind of sounds like the same thing. Activating once multiple times (surge+), activating multiple times for one(surge), ends in the same result .

I think a surge ability can only be activated once, any extra surges are wasted. Otherwise, why bother with a surge+ ability?

Imagine Kari's ability without the surge+. It would be useless against rune golems/carrion lancers/heroes since it would do damage in packets of 2 and never break armor.

R.R. p.18 under Surge: "An ability can be resolved multiple times if the unit has the surges to spend."

Also surge+ abilities can be activated multiple times with a variable number of surges spend each time.

Edited by C3gorach
43 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Surge abilities can be activated multiple times, this is explicitly in the rules reference. The reason we have surge+ abilities is for things where the amount of something at a single moment, as opposed to spread out over several moments, matters.

Example is Kari. If her ability was not a surge+ ability, she would never be able to damage anything that had a defense greater than 2. Spend a surge, throw 2 damage, oh wait it doesn't meet your defense, no wounds, repeat? By spending multiple surges at once, she can stack damage into a single instance and hurt even the defensiest units. Or, if you prefer, you can spread the damage around, sending 2 damage to multiple units with multiple surges.

The Latari Elves are introducing unique surge abilities that can only be used once per attack. It has a different symbol.

23 minutes ago, druchii7 said:

You can do it only once per dice roll (after all modifications). If you get to attack twice, you may use it twice (for example with that card that lets other unit attack + stun)

You can only activate surge abilities once per roll? This is incorrect. The rules reference explicitly says you can activate surge abilities multiple times.

Well, that's just terrifying. Guess I now understand why you would choose to add a blue die when flanking a unit instead of taking an extra red.

Just read the rules, so that is correct, surge abilities can be activated a number of times. That is terrifying, and now in line with Kari's terrifying ability.

2 hours ago, C3gorach said:

R.R. p.18 under Surge: "An ability can be resolved multiple times if the unit has the surges to spend."

Also surge+ abilities can be activated multiple times with a variable number of surges spend each time.

I could have swore I read surge+ abilities could only be activated once. Let me see if I can find it

2 hours ago, Klaxas said:

I could have swore I read surge+ abilities could only be activated once. Let me see if I can find it

It's on the same page i quoted from the book, R.R. p.18
"80.2 Surge abilities with a “+” following the surge icon,
can have a variable number of surges spent on an individual
activation. The ability specifies how the number of surges
spent alters the effect.
• These can be resolved multiple times. Each time the ability is
resolved, the player chooses the number of surges to spend."

1 hour ago, C3gorach said:

It's on the same page i quoted from the book, R.R. p.18
"80.2 Surge abilities with a “+” following the surge icon,
can have a variable number of surges spent on an individual
activation. The ability specifies how the number of surges
spent alters the effect.
• These can be resolved multiple times. Each time the ability is
resolved, the player chooses the number of surges to spend."

Ok well there ya go I stand corrected

On 17/4/2017 at 4:16 PM, rowdyoctopus said:

You can only activate surge abilities once per roll? This is incorrect. The rules reference explicitly says you can activate surge abilities multiple times.

RR 1.3 If a unit's ability is preceded by one or more surge icons, it must spend one surge for each of that ability's surge icons to resolve.

That's not alowing you to use the same ability more than once.

Otherwise can you refer any rule that allows you to repeat a surge ability or a skill ability?

10 minutes ago, druchii7 said:

RR 1.3 If a unit's ability is preceded by one or more surge icons, it must spend one surge for each of that ability's surge icons to resolve.

Otherwise can you refer any rule that allows you to repeat a surge ability or a skill ability?

Surge, 80.1, second bullet: "An ability can be resolved multiple times if the unit has the surges to spend."

Edited by Budgernaut
42 minutes ago, druchii7 said:

Didn't I just quote the Rules Reference book a few posts above? ><

You're absolutely right. Nothing to add.

That makes the carrion lancers f***ing better.

Edited by druchii7