Colors of the 12 Baronies

By keltheos, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

We have Archaut's blue in the RWMG boxed set blue colors, but what are the colors of the other 11? Isn't there a red scheme in the boardgame art? Is there info out there?

Archaut - blue in core box art

Forge

Frosthaven (Frostguard cold blue and white in the Daquan painting guide?)

Dawnsmoor

Greyhaven

Tamalir

Thelsvan - destroyed...

Vynevale

Riverwatch

Arhynn

Carthridge

Nerekhall

Edited by keltheos

Carthridge is red, with black and silver as background colors. As per L2P pg. 21

7 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

Carthridge is red, with black and silver as background colors. As per L2P pg. 21

That looked purple to me...

In BattleLore: Command Baron Frederic is from Kell, and leads the Riders of Kell into battle. He sports a purple and red color scheme, while his riders are almost identical to the colors of the citadel, except with some aquamarine accents, and the insignia of an owl.

So is Kell another barony? Is each free city its own barony?

Edited by Parakitor

Free cities are independent of baronies, no? Isn't that's why they're called "free cities?" In times of war, the free cities must provide their own warriors to assist the baronies, but they aren't under the rule of barons.

The Riverwatch Riders wore the standard blue/white/gold like Citadel Guards (and if I remember correctly, Archaut is also called the Citadel). So Riverwatch Riders, being form a free city, seem to be wearing the color of the realm of Terrinoth, which seems to be blue/whit/gold, while baronies may have other colors, as indicated in the lore guide with Carthridge.

The lore guide refers to the barony of Kell and Baron Fredric, which both appera in BattleLore: Command, as @Parakitor mentioned. In fact, I believe on page 10 of the Lore Guide, you can see Baron Fredric. He is the one in the middle wearing purple with a red cloak.

37 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Free cities are independent of baronies, no? Isn't that's why they're called "free cities?" In times of war, the free cities must provide their own warriors to assist the baronies, but they aren't under the rule of barons.

The lore guide refers to the barony of Kell and Baron Fredric, which both appera in BattleLore: Command, as @Parakitor mentioned. In fact, I believe on page 10 of the Lore Guide, you can see Baron Fredric. He is the one in the middle wearing purple with a red cloak.

That makes a lot more sense! So we really only know of, what, three baronies? Archaut, Kell, and Carthridge. By the way, nice catch on Baron Fredric in the Lore Guide. I totally missed that!

12 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

That looked purple to me...

I am refering to the emblem. It is a black dragonclaw on a red bacground with silver bands.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:39 AM, Budgernaut said:

The Riverwatch Riders wore the standard blue/white/gold like Citadel Guards (and if I remember correctly, Archaut is also called the Citadel). So Riverwatch Riders, being form a free city, seem to be wearing the color of the realm of Terrinoth, which seems to be blue/whit/gold, while baronies may have other colors, as indicated in the lore guide with Carthridge.

It also mentions the barony of Carthridge...which is also a free city. What I can find online (don't own any of the other Runestuff right now, so can't go reference them - trying to remember when I did have some) seem to blend the two together. They're mentioned as baronies/free cities. We'll probably have to wait and see what they do with the fluff at this point. Would be nice if they had done a Runebound RPG back in the day. :(

2 hours ago, keltheos said:

It also mentions the barony of Carthridge...which is also a free city. What I can find online (don't own any of the other Runestuff right now, so can't go reference them - trying to remember when I did have some) seem to blend the two together. They're mentioned as baronies/free cities. We'll probably have to wait and see what they do with the fluff at this point. Would be nice if they had done a Runebound RPG back in the day. :(

I did some searching and found that a reference to Carthridge is apparently in an old Descent campaign, The Shadow Rune. The opening sentence of the summary on the Descent wiki reads:

"The twin baronies of Rhynn and Carthridge lie on the outskirts of Terrinoth, far from the Free Cities."

This would suggest that Carthridge is not a free city, and that the free cities are not necessarily synonymous with baronies. It also gives us the name of yet another barony, Rhynn, the captial of which is Arrhynn...which is a free city? I'm so confused now. Where did you come up with that list of Free Cities, @keltheos ?

( REF: http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/The_Shadow_Rune )

21 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I did some searching and found that a reference to Carthridge is apparently in an old Descent campaign, The Shadow Rune. The opening sentence of the summary on the Descent wiki reads:

"The twin baronies of Rhynn and Carthridge lie on the outskirts of Terrinoth, far from the Free Cities."

This would suggest that Carthridge is not a free city, and that the free cities are not necessarily synonymous with baronies. It also gives us the name of yet another barony, Rhynn, the captial of which is Arrhynn...which is a free city? I'm so confused now. Where did you come up with that list of Free Cities, @keltheos ?

( REF: http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/The_Shadow_Rune )

I found this on the Terrinoth Wiki (no idea how valid/current it is) about the free city of Cartridge...

" Carthridge's proximity to the volcano Mt. Surtur makes for good farming, but even more danger than can be found around Carthridge's most loyal ally, Arhynn. The nobility of this small city on the outskirts of Terrinoth is oddly controversial, with a peculiar background in dark cults and vampirism."

http://terrinoth.wikia.com/wiki/Terrinoth

also Free cities = The baronies? (13 free cities all run by a Baron)

so a Barony is really a major fortified city and the surrounding lands?

I emailed FFG. Maybe we'll get a post about this...

(added maybe the Frosthaven color scheme (Frostguard in the Daqan painting guide?...also in the painting guide a greenish scheme and a leathers scheme. Both with livery on their shields, unidentified if actually part of the Baronies)

34 minutes ago, keltheos said:

(added maybe the Frosthaven color scheme (Frostguard in the Daqan painting guide?...also in the painting guide a greenish scheme and a leathers scheme. Both with livery on their shields, unidentified if actually part of the Baronies)

I think it's important to note that the Frostguard have silver instead of gold. That's what makes them so different in my opinion. I don't know if you actually need to mention that in the original post, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

And thanks for submitting that question to FFG. I hadn't even thought of doing that!

I'll definitely clean up the list as I learn more information. Mostly for now plugging in where it was found vs. actual data (unless sure) to avoid it being incorrect. The blue/white/silver for Frostguard may not even be Frosthaven...

I just read the Lore Guide again, and it says there are eight free cities. Sure, there are other cities and towns, but the Free Cities are Tamalir, Frostgate, Forge, Dawnsmoor, Riverwatch, Strangehaven, Greyhaven, Nerekhall. Any other cities mentioned probably fall under one of the 12 baronies.

So when I mentioned upthread that Carthridge is also a free city, I was mistaken. It is a city, but it belongs to the barony of Carthridge. That makes some sense.

I'm really hoping for a guide. I haven't painted my humans for this very reason.

From what I gather, Vynelvale is the religious heart of the land and I'm really hoping for some sort of white and red crusader scheme.

2 hours ago, Wired4War said:

I'm really hoping for a guide. I haven't painted my humans for this very reason.

From what I gather, Vynelvale is the religious heart of the land and I'm really hoping for some sort of white and red crusader scheme.

Why not just make your own if that's the scheme you want?

45 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Why not just make your own if that's the scheme you want?

Because in my first wargame, made my own scheme and eventually regretted it. Some weird thing I have about feeling more connected to the miniatures if they match up with lore. I've gone with given schemes, even if rare, ever since and very glad for it. It's just me.

20 minutes ago, Wired4War said:

Because in my first wargame, made my own scheme and eventually regretted it. Some weird thing I have about feeling more connected to the miniatures if they match up with lore. I've gone with given schemes, even if rare, ever since and very glad for it. It's just me.

I'd be very surprised if we ever saw more than the (awful) blue/gold they've given us for everything, sort of a faction identity. Instant recognition. Anything else in article would start to muddy it.

In the Terrinoth wikia the Nerekhall Ironbound is pictured dark blue, white and bronze ( http://terrinoth.wikia.com/wiki/Ironbound ) - plus there's this cool image as well.

Ironbound_unit.jpg

Edited by CastleRock
spelling

So the Spearmen Unit Expansion info mentions:

Rhynn soldiers wearing green and black -- some connection to Greatwood and its bears.

Kell (atop Hernfar Isle and the Ru) wearing purble, gold and silver with an owl for a symbol.

Carthridge warriors wear orange, silver and black with an upraised talon as their shield symbol.

Vynelvale soldiers wear a fiery red eagle on their shields, but no other colors are mentioned.

Frostgate soldiers have a white lion on their usual ice-blue shields.

My problem: I can't find Rhynn, the Greatwood, Hernfar Isle, the Ru or Carthridge on any map -- though I'm a bit of a Terrinoth Noob.

Any help appreciated.

I may just take the color schemes from the various cities from Runebound 2nd edition and call it a day.

1 hour ago, Fritz66 said:

My problem: I can't find Rhynn, the Greatwood, Hernfar Isle, the Ru or Carthridge on any map -- though I'm a bit of a Terrinoth Noob.

Any help appreciated.

Great info! Collecting mainly Waiqar for now, so I miss out on that cool lore in the Daqan units.

Rhynn and Carthridge are sister cities, as I recall, and I got the impression they were southern, but I'm not sure. They are both within the greater barony of Carthridge. EDIT: these cities were introduced in Descent.

The Ru is the barren waste to the east, from whence the savage Uthuk Y'llan arose. Hernfar Isle is the location of one of the small sentry towers set up to guard against any future invasion on the Eastern front (though the Uthuk are believed to be wiped out, so it's just a token job for new soldiers, mostly).

Greatwood is new to me. I'm unfamiliar with that location.

Edited by Parakitor

Hmmm.....if only FFG would put together books with information about each faction with detailed color schemes, lore and.....oh wait....where have I seen that before? LOL :D

I certainly like the Ironbound! That looks like an interesting color scheme. I'll have to go through the other Terrinoth universe games I have and see what I can find. Although my copy of Runebound is older and I don't know how much FFG is sticking to their guns on lore consistency.

Man, there are so many locations I can't find that I can't even begin to talk about consistency.

We'll just have to wait and see.