Eilif's Daqan (5/24 coming back for more?)

By eilif, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

UPDATE: Going to turn this into a place for ongoing updates as I paint my Daqan.

Last week I assembled the entirety of my two boxes of Daqan. I Just put up a blog post about my experiences assembling them, some easy conversions that can be done to mix up the poses a bit and my overall thoughts about the sculpts after having had them in-hand for a while.

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/04/14/runewars-painting-the-daqan-lords-part-1-creative-assembly/

Just a couple teasers. Here's a set of 8 of the same spearmen bodies. Instead of all being identical, only 2 are assembled stock and there's some limb swapping and repositioning to give a much wider variety of poses...

DSCN2612-570x428.jpg

...and you wouldn't want your golems to look alike would you?

DSCN2615-570x428.jpg

Edited by eilif

The cool thing is that large units like the Rune Golem and the Carrion Lancer come two per expansion, and one of them is a different sculpt than found in the core set. Additionally, the Oathsworn Cavalry are listed as being new figure scultps. Archers are the only infantry unit previewed so far, and they are listed as being identical to the core set.

I'm curius to see how the Oathsworn cav composition plays out. I read the words "new figures" but I think they may just mean new-to-you because the near s I can tell, the figs on the box image are the same sculpts as the original set.

Very cool that we're getting a new Golem sculpt. Despite already having two, I'm looking forward to two more. I'll probably mod the repeat a bit so as to have 4 unique Golems.

I have files and drills. I am not above drilling, making fake chips, pinning, and forced reposing

Amen!

PVC doesn't respond well to filing but I think you'll find that the PVC these are made of requires little more than a sharp knife. Delightfully easy to convert!

7 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Additionally, the Oathsworn Cavalry are listed as being new figure scultps.

The preview says they're the exact same as the sculpts in the core.

7 hours ago, JasonGlass said:

Slightly disappointing, but as I show in the blog rotating the waist and/or wrist and swapping horses and will give a good amount of variation.

15 hours ago, JasonGlass said:

Actually it doesn't say that at all. The line is " The Oathsworn Cavalry Unit Expansion features four new Oathsworn Cavalry figures, "

52 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Actually it doesn't say that at all. The line is " The Oathsworn Cavalry Unit Expansion features four new Oathsworn Cavalry figures, "

And the image on the front of the box is four of the exact same two sculpts in the core box.

Edited by Tvayumat
48 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

And the image on the front of the box is four of the exact same two sculpts in the core box.

I don't have my cavalry in front of me, nor have I ever compared them. I'm just going off of what the article says. The large figure articles specifically call out the sculpts are different than the core box (well 1 of 2 are). The archers article specifically calls out they are the same. The cavalry article says they are "new figures".

@rowdyoctopus @Tvayumat both of you are correct. The box art and article cover photo do show the same sculpts we get in the core, and the article says we get "four new oathsworn cavalry figures."

Keep in mind figutes doesn't necessarily mean sculpts.

Good to hear its easy to convert. I have a hacksaw i am used to needing when i convert 40k minis....its a pain to use cleanly lol.

3 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

@rowdyoctopus @Tvayumat both of you are correct. The box art and article cover photo do show the same sculpts we get in the core, and the article says we get "four new oathsworn cavalry figures."

Keep in mind figutes doesn't necessarily mean sculpts.

Haha, like a parent separating children. :P

No nefarious intent here. I traded away my Daqan forces today. It's too bad the cavalry are the same.

2 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Good to hear its easy to convert. I have a hacksaw i am used to needing when i convert 40k minis....its a pain to use cleanly lol.

Yeah, it's not hard at all. I will say that in my experience, pvc can dull blades a bit faster, so as long as you don't skimp on swaping blades cutting right through and carving PVC is easy.

You. Know what annoys me. The models are more than predominantly Right handed... I mean really. There is what, 1 sculpt (dagger and axes Waiqar Reanimate I think) people need to make more left handed models.

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

You. Know what annoys me. The models are more than predominantly Right handed... I mean really. There is what, 1 sculpt (dagger and axes Waiqar Reanimate I think) people need to make more left handed models.

Look at the cav.

1 hour ago, Orcdruid said:

Look at the cav.

I noticed that just a bit ago actually. Still, 8 out of 48 is not a good set

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

I noticed that just a bit ago actually. Still, 8 out of 48 is not a good set

Its more than statistical. Only 10% of people are left handed.

I find it more odd that all figs of each type have the same handedness. I realize that it makes it easier to rank troops, but swapping hands is a great way to add variety if you're not going to intentionally make your figures with interchangeable parts.

On the other hand (ahem..) having all righty figs makes it easy to quickly get alot of variety out of the set if you choose to do a bit of converting like I did.

One more bit about converting PVC. I used my exacto knife for trimming the pegs, but if youwant maximum control and safety when cutting through larger PVC parts grab a utility knife (the kind that takes trapezoidal razor blades) from the hardware store. A pack of 100 blades is usually only a few bucks so you can affordabley swap out blades when they get even slightly dull.

The larger handle makes it easier to get maximum control and cutting force. Then just lay your figure on top of a cutting board on a table and cut downward for safety.

Something like this is common, cheap (2 bucks) and works pretty well...

http://www.harborfreight.com/utility-knife-3359.html

My favorite -though they're harder to find- is the old style, fixed-blade non-retractable version as it eliminates any possible blade wobble. The pocket knife style is a good comprimise that eliminates most shifting but unfortunately it often it has a curve in the handle that makes it hard to cut downward.

I have converted about a third of my Spearman I think. Maybe a bit more. All by messing with the Key Pegs. I also adjusted my Rune Golem's right lower arm and chanted the turn at its waist.

Decided to wait until all the Cav and Spearmen were block-painted before making a new full blog post, so here's a bit of a teaser. This is the green satin from rustoleum as a basecoat and a quick application of silver from a silver paint pen. There are some mistakes, but most are in areas that will get another color and for the others after these pics were taken I just took a cut-down brush and some rubbing alcohol and brushed them away.

DSCN2620.jpg I wish to heck I'd bought a finer point paint pen, but even with some cleanup time figured in, it's a ridiculously fast method of putting down paint. Far faster than with a brush.

DSCN2622.jpg I'll have better pics when I do the proper blog post. Right now the Spearmen are completely based and have their basing on but the basing is not yet painted. The Cav only have green and silver at this point. Hope to get the Cav done to the same point in a couple of days.

Also, I posted this elsewhere but it really should be here also.

I got impatient for background information on heraldry and so I used the "Salamanders" chapter shoulder emblems from the "Space Marine decal sheet". Its' basically this emblem (thouh of course on a green background) I rotated thm a few degrees clockwise to be roughly oriented parallel to the the jaw line. The size is perfect too. From side to side it's just a bit shorter than the distance between the reinforced sides of the spearmen's shield.

salamandersbw.jpg

I think it's kind of a cool emblem that could be a lizard or a dragon or some other beast and since my guys are painted green it seems appropriate. It's the least space-marine-ey of all the emblems on the sheet. Best of all it's also free as I have a stack of old 40k decal sheets. If folks like the look I bet if they ask around there are plenty of Space Marine fans who would be willing to give away their salameder decals.

Also I had forgotten how easy decals are. I got all 32 soldiers decaled in a bit over a half hour!

Edited by eilif

that really looks like theyre covered in Greenstuff lol...

23 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

that really looks like theyre covered in Greenstuff lol...

I am not alone! I thought the same thing