New Expansion!

By SpawnGarret, in Runebound

Howly sh... how great is that!? My boys always wanted to play RW cooperatively, and now this!

The best part for me:

Within this expansion, you’ll find two brand-new Runebound scenarios for you to play cooperatively or solo: The Locust Swarm and The Red Death. And if that weren’t enough, you’ll also find new scenario cards for three existing scenarios, inviting you to play the Core Set scenarios or Caught in a Web as a cooperative or solo scenario!

So 5 new cooperative scenarios with a single expansions, that's fantastic!

It does look like Elam. He's entirely new isn't he? I've not seen him anywhere else before.

I wonder if the "beyond the map" and the sort of map-looking bit in the picture means more map? Or if that's just the back of one of those new enemy cards. Hmm! I'm glad to see it's Uthuk Y'lan like we thought it might be in the other thread though!

Eliam isn't new, he was introduced in the expansion Sands of Al-Kalim in the second edition of Runebound and is also included in the expansion Altar of Despair to the first edition of Descent. Although available in the conversion kit to Descent second edition he is one of the heroes which hasn't been updated like most of the other heroes from the first edition.

Amazing. I'll get the previous expansions then =)

53 minutes ago, Moxel said:

Eliam isn't new, he was introduced in the expansion Sands of Al-Kalim in the second edition of Runebound and is also included in the expansion Altar of Despair to the first edition of Descent. Although available in the conversion kit to Descent second edition he is one of the heroes which hasn't been updated like most of the other heroes from the first edition.

Oh sorry, thanks for the information! I thought I knew all the heroes that hadn't been released (I posted a list of them in another thread) yet I somehow missed him out.

F*** YES THIS IS AMAZING

Edited by Supertoe

Finally!!!

A lot of people complains about the lack of solo scenario and now our prayers have been listened!

Bought all of 2nd ed, but held back on 3rd edition given the absence of a dedicated solo/coop mode... may now have to reconsider!

I'm super excited about this. Runebound has been collecting dust on my shelf sadly, but this expansion will certainly bring it back to the table. I also dig the fact that they're using the Uthuk Y'llan.

Plus I love that Tatianna is one of the new heroes. I've been using her in Descent and absolutely love her.

This is Uber-exciting and instabuy. I am also hoping that Battlelore expansions are also on the way. These 2 games are so great I don't know why things have been slow, but I guess now GW are part of the deal they will support their own universe. Good news!

On 13/04/2017 at 1:37 PM, jimjim19681968 said:

This is Uber-exciting and instabuy. I am also hoping that Battlelore expansions are also on the way. These 2 games are so great I don't know why things have been slow, but I guess now GW are part of the deal they will support their own universe. Good news!

It's all good tbh GW are knocking it out of the park as well recently, think it's win win for the gamer

Bought into this now due to the solo version :)

I wonder why the solo rules apply to only 3 existing scenarios rather than all of them? Are the other scenarios unconvertable or is it just spreading the product into a future release so as not to bloat? Curious.

Alex,

there are four scenarios appeared so far. One of them, Fall of the Dark Star, was designed to be a player-vs-player scenario, so that this would have no sense to adapt into a coop version unless some major changes (read: specific new cards and so on) were introduced. The other three existing scenarios in RB are a sort of "multiplayer solitaire", i.e. interactions among different heroes were rather limited; moving those into something fully coop was easier to do.

Will be buying this game now for the Co-Op mode and all of the expansions, one thing I have learned so far from Descent, MoM, LOTR LCG is that FFG does co-op right.

It's all ordered :D

Thanks Julia for the clarification, I thought as there were 5 existing products (not counting the counters-pack) there would be more scenarios so that's where I went wrong. I knew 2 in core set and assumed 1 per pack so got to 6.

3 out of 4 solo able is better than 3 out of 6 :)

With the two coming with the new exp, there will be 5 out of 6. The first wave of expansions came with 4 packs, 2 of them had a scenario, the other 2 added other things to the game

I know I am not saying anything intellectual here or bringing anything note worthy to the conversation but...

OMG! YASSS!

I thought FFG gave up on Runebound. Love to see that they offically decided to use coop scenarios.

Im so excited. Glad I didnt sell off my painted core set. I couldnt part with it. The game was just so much fun.

The non scenario expansions are kind of like hero and monster packs in descent 2nd or....?

Kinda. Each of these adds a set of skill cards, 15 new adventure cards (5 red, 5 green, 5 purple), and a new hero. The good things with these is that the new adventures are great to ensure variability within your decks (so, with both exp in, each deck has 30 cards: you shuffle, and then remove 10 at random, and then you add the story-specific adventure cards), and the new heroes are rather cool, especially because they add new symbols to the combat pool.

I'm not saying they are the best expansion in the world (they add few things, and they are a bit expensive), but they add good things, i.e. elements that will add fun, replayability, and options to your games.

I know this could sound corporate talk (which is not) and some would say I'm biased having tested everything that was published for RB so far (which again it's not), but I do think that the level RB reached by putting together all the expansions is pretty high. The game is fresh, with a fantastic and modern design, plays fast (solo in under one hour) and has a plethora of options for replayability. It's also not uber-harsh: it's difficult, but not punishing, and when you lose, you still have the sensation you had a good run, and want to play more (at least, this is what happens to me).

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Julia said:

Kinda. Each of these adds a set of skill cards, 15 new adventure cards (5 red, 5 green, 5 purple), and a new hero. The good things with these is that the new adventures are great to ensure variability within your decks (so, with both exp in, each deck has 30 cards: you shuffle, and then remove 10 at random, and then you add the story-specific adventure cards), and the new heroes are rather cool, especially because they add new symbols to the combat pool.

I'm not saying they are the best expansion in the world (they add few things, and they are a bit expensive), but they add good things, i.e. elements that will add fun, replayability, and options to your games.

I'd say my only issue with the expansions is that now I have to seperate the skill deck by sub-deck and then decide what to take out. I didn't even know there were subdecks until I got the expansion.

The same goes for the items. While I understand why - you don't want to get all 4 shops being just goods or something like that - it still makes setup actually take time now whereas before it was extremely fast.

37 minutes ago, Taear said:

I'd say my only issue with the expansions is that now I have to seperate the skill deck by sub-deck and then decide what to take out. I didn't even know there were subdecks until I got the expansion.

The same goes for the items. While I understand why - you don't want to get all 4 shops being just goods or something like that - it still makes setup actually take time now whereas before it was extremely fast.

True. But you could also decide to play a series of games with the same deck composition, so that you go through the tedious setup once, and then play 5 times in a row with very limited setup time, and then you change the decks

Why isnt this on FFGs front page news? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, talkslow4me said:

Why isnt this on FFGs front page news? :ph34r:

It is on the front page news. Under "News" it has scrolled down due to other news items posted since. Under the FF logo is on the left-and-right scrolling banner.

Edited by TalisDiorn
On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, Julia said:

True. But you could also decide to play a series of games with the same deck composition, so that you go through the tedious setup once, and then play 5 times in a row with very limited setup time, and then you change the decks

We like to switch it up. I don't think I play often enough to be able to do it that way and not have it become SUPER samey.

I get what you're saying though.