size/scale of the minis

By madzerker, in Runewars Miniatures Game

For those who have held the minis, what size/scale would you say they were? Or if you have any size comparisons with other companies miniatures that would rock. I am curious if they are 28mm like older GW or 32mm like Privateer Press, Helldorado, Confrontation ect.. thanks in advance!

I've been wondering that as well...hard to tell from pictures...if somebody could take a picture with these guys next to a space marine or something. If you're not too busy painting and enjoying the minis to help us out (you know, the jealous guys who don't have them yet)...

28mm semi heroic. Not as exaggerated as 40k, but somewhat exaggerated.

Won't let me upload from my phone, but reanimate archers are almost the exact same height as a space marine fig.

Wouldn't that be more like 30 or 32mm? My power armoured Space Marines seem to be about 32mm and that skeleton is easily as big as the Space Marine.

24 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Wouldn't that be more like 30 or 32mm? My power armoured Space Marines seem to be about 32mm and that skeleton is easily as big as the Space Marine.

28mm heroic is about 30-32mm actual.

They're slightly larger due to exaggerated features, but look about 28mm to the eyes, I guess.

I don't know. Scale nomenclature is weird.

21 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

28mm heroic is about 30-32mm actual.

They're slightly larger due to exaggerated features, but look about 28mm to the eyes, I guess.

I don't know. Scale nomenclature is weird.

Good to know, so scale goes up to the eyes not the top of the head?

Edited by Iceeagle85
49 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

He meant the eyes as in your eyes.

7 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

He meant the eyes as in your eyes.

My bad, sorry

They look 28mm, not really 'heroic' like GW. I haven't measured but did compare them to a few other 28mm and they looked on par with the non-heroic stuff. Was wondering this myself. Glad I found this thread.

On 4/7/2017 at 7:54 PM, Iceeagle85 said:

Yes. Millimeter scales for wargaming miniatures are traditionally measured from the sole of the foot to the eyeline of an average male. The reason is that military figures often have all manner of headgear that can make it difficult to gauge accurately the full height of the model. There's a rather good explanation of scale here:

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

GW miniatures are generally around 28-30mm to the eyeline but some are taller. In the picture linked above you'll notice that the runewars skellies' eyeline is actually slightly higher than the space marine.

My Daqan soldiers are almost exactly 28mm to the eyeline but they are hunched forward a bit. Of they were standing strait up, they'd probably be around 29 or 30mm to the eye which is pretty common these days even for figs called 28mm. There is a fair bit of flexibility in what scales different companies call their minis, so 28mm or 30mm would be acceptable labels for Runewars miniatures.

Just to confuse things further... the terms "Heroic" or "True" scale generally refer to the bulkyness of the miniature, "Heroic" refers to exagerated features like GW, whereas "True" is closer to anatomically correct, like Perry miniatures. However some companies use the term Heroic as basically adding a couple of mm to the stated height. You sometimes see companies with "28mm Heroic" miniatures that are actually 30mm.

In general it is best to rely on actual measurements rather than a company's stated scale when determining the compatibility of various miniature lines. For example Reaper calls it's entire Chronoscope line "25mm Heroic Scale Non-Fantasy, Multi-Genre Miniatures". I have never in my entire life seen a Chronoscope miniature that wasn't at least 28mm and most are 30mm or bigger.

Edited by eilif

Thanks for all the explanation.

1 hour ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Thanks for all the explanation.

No worries. Happy to share.

What's funny is 28mm which is such a standard now, was originally just called 25mm heroic. It eventually became so commonplace that is was just named for what it was - 28mm. Now we have 28mm heroic... the madness never ends.

9 hours ago, JasonGlass said:

What's funny is 28mm which is such a standard now, was originally just called 25mm heroic. It eventually became so commonplace that is was just named for what it was - 28mm. Now we have 28mm heroic... the madness never ends.

Yep, scale creep is a crazy thing. Many popular games have minis that are now a couple mm taller than they are listed. Many companies don't even bother to use the term "heroic" they just sculpt their figures a bit bigger. (a'la Reaper Chronoscope)

I still remember when actual 25mm (to the eyes) was very common. Of course the rabbit hole goes even deeper when you realize that it's almost impossible to sculpt truely-proportioned 25mm figures in metal (almost the only material figs were made of back then). They have to be rather heroic otherwise ankles, wrists and weapons are so thin they break if you even look at them wrong.

Edited by eilif
On 4/8/2017 at 1:58 AM, MysteriousRacerX said:

Oh...somehow whole time i imagined them more like 40k Epic lol.

2 hours ago, Vitalis said:

Oh...somehow whole time i imagined them more like 40k Epic lol.

Really? Then this would be some amazing sculpts if they would be 6mm.

Not the best photo but if this helps...

GaqPQxy.jpg

From left to right we have... Battlelore 2nd Edition Reanimate, Runewars TMG Reanimate, Runewars TMG Ardus Ix'Erebus and Descent 2nd Edition Ardus Ix'Erebus.

They grow up so fast :lol: .

That's quite the difference.

Same sculpt (possibly upsized a bit) as Descent?

Lazy...

Out of curiosity, does the base on the Descent mini fit into the runewars movement tray?

It's not quite the same sculpt... the antlers coming out of his helmet are different and while the Descent version simply has sockets for eyes, the RTMG version has small pips, presumably to make it easier to give him glowing points of light for his eyes.

The diameter of the bases is the same, but with the post in the tray they won't fit unless you remove the post or drill a hole in the bottom of the miniature.

2 minutes ago, Daverman said:

It's not quite the same sculpt... the antlers coming out of his helmet are different and while the Descent version simply has sockets for eyes, the RTMG version has small pips, presumably to make it easier to give him glowing points of light for his eyes.

The diameter of the bases is the same, but with the post in the tray they won't fit unless you remove the post or drill a hole in the bottom of the miniature.

Slightly modified is still lazy, but interesting to know about the size. I don't know much about Descent, but I wonder what kind of possibilities there are for bulking out one's units with Descent minis. Assuming one could get extra trays of course.

4 minutes ago, eilif said:

Slightly modified is still lazy, but interesting to know about the size. I don't know much about Descent, but I wonder what kind of possibilities there are for bulking out one's units with Descent minis. Assuming one could get extra trays of course.

It may be lazy, but I'd rather see some reused assets with a lower price point to the game, than have them pass on the cost of new assets to the consumer.

39 minutes ago, Daverman said:

Can we just call it RW? :D