Custom Fan made Star wars Clone Wars Prequel Expansion

By IrishCyborg, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Hi!

I'm creating a prequel expansion to Star Wars Rebellion. The expansion's current working name is Star Wars: The Clone Wars board game. Just stressing something; Disney, Lucasfilm, and FFG endorse this game in no way. I've started work on the leaders, with many of their first iterations ready. I will be playtesting this game using Vassal , there will be a sign-up form soon.

Darth Vader has turned to the dark side

A preview of Darth Vader. You may notice the little lightsaber, that's a new skill called Force. The reason he has one less diplomacy than in Rebellion is because he is still filled with hate.

You can read more about this fan made expansion on my blog here .

Regards,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

Another leader:

General Grievous: Fanmade Star wars Rebellion Expansion

General Grievous, ground tactic value is incorrect and should be 2.

Before you design leader's I'd consider thinking about what you want the core gameplay to be. The primary conflict in the clone wars was totally different and there was a lot more parity in military strength between the sides.

You could absolutely use the same map for such a game. But the core rules would need to be a bit different.

I've actually got the rules mostly ironed out, I'm currently typing them down.

DarkLord.png

The separatists use this Dark lord leader and can reveal him using special missions. He does not have to be Palpatine, he could be Kenobi or any other Republic leader.

The map will also probably be different, to include planets like Teth and Cristophsis (is that how you spell it?)

Regards,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

I've created a form to sign up to playtest this game using Vassal here . If you have time to spare playtesting, please do, the more playtesters the better the game is for everyone!

Here's one of the planned Republic figures, the Venator -class star cruiser. I digitally rendered this using Krakelin 's 3D model.

VenatorFigure.png

Regards,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

I'm curious about the objectives. Though the idea of the republic having one leader who is the "dark lord" and they have to figure out who he is is fascinating. Sorta like rebellion but using leaders instead of systems. I can dig it.

4 hours ago, davidumstattd said:

I'm curious about the objectives. Though the idea of the republic having one leader who is the "dark lord" and they have to figure out who he is is fascinating. Sorta like rebellion but using leaders instead of systems. I can dig it.

Most likely, the Separatists will have objective cards to win, although some of their missions may also give VP.

Republic will probably win once the dark lord has been revealed. Even though that is not thematically correct, seeing as Palpatine was revealed but still won, I still think it is the best win condition for the Republic.

Regards,

IrishCyborg

On 4/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, IrishCyborg said:

Most likely, the Separatists will have objective cards to win, although some of their missions may also give VP.

Republic will probably win once the dark lord has been revealed. Even though that is not thematically correct, seeing as Palpatine was revealed but still won, I still think it is the best win condition for the Republic.

Regards,

IrishCyborg

This is the hardest part of handling a Clone Wars game as both sides were basically being played by the same guy, so no mater who won everyone lost. Which is why I liked the talk people had of making it a three sided game where Palpatine was his own side who could move either side's fleets and was trying to make the game go long and keep one side from winning. His winning condition being related to time mostly. Whereas for the Republic and CIS it was more of a classic wargame.

2 hours ago, davidumstattd said:

This is the hardest part of handling a Clone Wars game as both sides were basically being played by the same guy, so no mater who won everyone lost. Which is why I liked the talk people had of making it a three sided game where Palpatine was his own side who could move either side's fleets and was trying to make the game go long and keep one side from winning. His winning condition being related to time mostly. Whereas for the Republic and CIS it was more of a classic wargame.

I did think of using that, but I decided I would prefer to keep it two players and just roll the dark lord in with the Separatists.

Personally, I think that the hardest part to implement will be Order 66. I'll still need to make it possible for the Republic to win, because otherwise Order 66 is just an immediate win for the Separatists.

Ok, I've got the rest of the leaders created, in roughly alphabetical order:

asoka_1_orig.png boba_orig.png

c3po-r2d2_orig.png cadbane_orig.png

cody_orig.png darklord_orig.png

darthvader_orig.png dooku_orig.png

grievous_orig.png gunray_orig.png obi1_orig.png padme_orig.png

palpatine_orig.png poggle_orig.png

rex_orig.png savage_orig.png

skywalker_orig.png t17_orig.png

tarkin_orig.png ventress_orig.png

wattambor_orig.png windu_orig.png

yoda_orig.png yularen_orig.png

maul.png

You can see all the images here on my website.

I've just finished the board for the game, I made it completely from scratch, the images are mostly taken from Wookiepedia .

gamemap-copy_1_orig.png

Note that both Coruscant and Geonosis are always loyal to their corresponding sides.

And the other possible starting positions are shown below.

starting-positions-small_orig.png

You can read more about this game on my website .

P.S. I explain these --> neutral.png?1492675087 on my website.

Great approach for a Star Wars: Rebellion expansion... love the cards, map and your game-play theory.

I think the factions and victory conditions are where things get complicated. As someone mentioned above, in the Clone Wars it didn't really manner if the Separatists or the Republic won, it was more a bid for the Sith to destroy the Jedi and rule the galaxy, so I think a mechanic could be devised (it is quite possible -- just have to give it some thought). It would be something along the lines of not having a CIS and Republic player, but one player playing the Sith and the other the Jedi. Maybe the Sith player can command units during his turn where he can move the CIS forces with Dooku and the Republic forces with Palpatine on the same turn -- and even have them battle each other, if that works to their advantage. And the same goes for the Jedi. So the character cards would indicate their force allegiance (light or dark) and their political allegiance (CIS, Republic)

The victory conditions could be tracking the advance or retreat of darkness... or preventing Order 66 from being issued by uncovering Palpatine... or some combination or totally other idea.

Just brainstorming here... a lot more to consider, but that would be a completely different way to play Rebellion.

Great approach for a Star Wars: Rebellion expansion... love the cards, map and your game-play theory.

I think the factions and victory conditions are where things get complicated. As someone mentioned above, in the Clone Wars it didn't really manner if the Separatists or the Republic won, it was more a bid for the Sith to destroy the Jedi and rule the galaxy, so I think a mechanic could be devised (it is quite possible -- just have to give it some thought). It would be something along the lines of not having a CIS and Republic player, but one player playing the Sith and the other the Jedi. Maybe the Sith player can command units during his turn where he can move the CIS forces with Dooku and the Republic forces with Palpatine on the same turn -- and even have them battle each other, if that works to their advantage. And the same goes for the Jedi. So the character cards would indicate their force allegiance (light or dark) and their political allegiance (CIS, Republic)

The victory conditions could be tracking the advance or retreat of darkness... or preventing Order 66 from being issued by uncovering Palpatine... or some combination or totally other idea.

Just brainstorming here... a lot more to consider, but that would be a completely different way to play Rebellion.

You know, it might actually be better to seperate the Jedi/Sith from the fight like you're saying, and kind of automate the Republic/CIS.

This would also actually be more accurate, as the Jedi could essentially do anything they wanted, but the Republic was severely hampered by the Senate. The same happened with the Sith and the CIS, only to a lesser extent.

I think I'd still keep the dark lord secret, so that the Jedi do not know who he/she(Darth Padme?) is.

I especially like the part where the Sith causes Republic & CIS forces to fight, I'll have to give a reason for them to do so. Maybe battles increase the darkness?

Thanks,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

I just realised I've missed the build numbers on the board, but since I'm using @hstruman 's idea (look above) of playing as either Jedi or Sith instead of Republic or CIS, I won't need that, as building will be automated.

Edited by IrishCyborg

Not Trolling hee, but where is Jar Jar Binks? It would be hilarious if he turned out to be the Dark Lord :D

But all in all, this seems really complicated, especially since you have some quetionable design choices here in making Vader part of CIS.

I would make "war objective cards" that tell your fleets and troops to go somwhere and you have to assign a leader to it so they move, which hampers your efforts to find out who the dark lord is. Make the Dark Lord not being controlled by one of the players, but by the game itself, like the viruses in Pandemic.

I am just tossing these ideas out here, but if you like I would dicuss them further.

8 minutes ago, TheMOELANDER said:

Not Trolling hee, but where is Jar Jar Binks? It would be hilarious if he turned out to be the Dark Lord :D

But all in all, this seems really complicated, especially since you have some quetionable design choices here in making Vader part of CIS.

I would make "war objective cards" that tell your fleets and troops to go somwhere and you have to assign a leader to it so they move, which hampers your efforts to find out who the dark lord is. Make the Dark Lord not being controlled by one of the players, but by the game itself, like the viruses in Pandemic.

I am just tossing these ideas out here, but if you like I would dicuss them further.

Think of your least favourite republic leader I created. I removed Jar-Jar because I preferred the other leader. :D

I'm actually going to go with @hstruman 's idea of making the players play as Sith or Jedi instead of CIS or Republic. I'm going to simulate the Republic & CIS moving with army cards, which will say something like "Move 1 Venator, 2 Gunships, and 3 Clone troopers to Cato Nemoidia", as an example.

I'd love more suggestions though!

1 minute ago, IrishCyborg said:

Think of your least favourite republic leader I created. I removed Jar-Jar because I preferred the other leader. :D

I'm actually going to go with @hstruman 's idea of making the players play as Sith or Jedi instead of CIS or Republic. I'm going to simulate the Republic & CIS moving with army cards, which will say something like "Move 1 Venator, 2 Gunships, and 3 Clone troopers to Cato Nemoidia", as an example.

I'd love more suggestions though!

That is a good idea, but you still need to bind the Jedi to certain systems sometimes because of the war. The Jedi were the gernerals during that conflict so it would be strage i they could just wander all around they want.

Oh yeah, the Army cards would also have 2 Jedi pictured, and you would be forced to place one in the attacked system. Continuing the above example, the army card might have Anakin and Ahsoka pictured, and you could choose to send either Ahsoka or Anakin, and use his/her combat values during that battle.

P.S. May the Fourth be with you!

You have some really great ideas going here! Very intrigued to see where this goes. How do you plan to print the models for the new ships?

As for Order 66, isn't that just the artificial time limit for the game, similar to the Rebels getting to to the end of the reputation track in Rebellion?

1 hour ago, Frobozz said:

You have some really great ideas going here! Very intrigued to see where this goes. How do you plan to print the models for the new ships?

As for Order 66, isn't that just the artificial time limit for the game, similar to the Rebels getting to to the end of the reputation track in Rebellion?

For the ships, once I've found the models (I've only got the Venator currently), I'll use either a 3D printer or shapeways.com to get them 3d printed.

For Order 66, I think there will be a Darkness Marker on a track of 10-16 spaces, and the Sith will perform missions to attempt to sway the force towards the dark side. At the same time, the Jedi will be attempting to stop that as well as find out who the Dark Lord is. When the Darkness reaches the end of the track, the Sith will win, as the war has gone on long enough for the citizens of the galaxy to believe that the Jedi are traitors, and so Order 66 is executed.

Edited by IrishCyborg

Thought, what if When the Dark Lord is discovered, rather than ending the game, you trigger order 66, the you have a roll off of troops vs commanders. If your commanders survive, then you win, or go into final confrontation with the dark lord with whoever is left.

I just came up with this for victory conditions- for each battle won by the separatists amd every time the republic retreats the morale of,the republ8c goes down by 1. After it decreases to 0, the CIS wins. For,the republic to win, they have to destroy key droid factories such as,the geonosis factories by either sabotaging those planets or taking them. They would only have,to take,them on land.

Hi

Is still avaible ? I try to access to the site

Hello everyone! I've read your ideas and I think I have found a possible solution for the factions and the way to win the game. I think it's a good approach for the game considering your previous comments. But first I will explain the lore-related reasons for this approach:

It is true that when the Empire is created neither the Republic nor the Separatists actually win, so there should be indeed a faction of the Dark Lord so we can say it actually "wins" according to the story. The thing is that Palpatine apparently had control of both factions, but actually he didn't have full control of the Republic until near the end of the Clone Wars (he had much influence though), but he did have full control of the Separatists through Count Dooku, and this leads to my view of the possible mechanics of the game:

There would be two factions: The Galactic Republic and The Dark Lord of the Sith .

EDIT: I will continue editing this rules as I imaginarily play the game, to make the necessary changes for it to be fully playable and faithful to the story (although some events may happen in a different timing, of course).

Starting

Each faction will have a "home system" that will be always theirs (Coruscant for the Republic and Geonosis for the Separatists). Also each faction will be given 4 random systems (from some possible options related to lore like in Rebellion) and will place a loyalty marker on them.

There will be some "Republic leader intel cards" (small size) with a picture of each Republic leader. At the beginning of the game the Dark Lord faction will choose one Republic leader from these cards to be the Dark Lord, and will keep the card face down. After that, each of the rest of the "Republic leader intel cards" will be assigned randomly to one system of the board 1 , face down, and neither faction will know where each one is.

The Dark Lord faction will have a leader called "The Dark Lord", whose identity is unkown, so the picture won't show his/her face. This leader will be used by the Dark Lord player like any other leader, though the Republic leader can't defeat him until its identity is revealed.
The Republic will have what we wil call "the real Dark Lord leader" as one of its leaders; this leader is the one chosen by the Dark Lord player. While the Dark Lord identity remains unknown to the Republic player, "the real Dark Lord leader" works as any other Republic leader. 2

Republic winning

The Republic wins when it finds out who the Dark Lord is and defeats him/her.

Revealing the Dark Lord : The Republic has to obtain "Republic leader intel cards" to find out which leaders are NOT the Dark Lord. This can be achieved by using a Jedi leader to move ground units into a non-Republic system and winning the battle in case Separatist ground units are there. When the republic player has all the intel cards that are not blank, the Dark Lord is revealed.

Another way to get "Republic leader intel cards" is attempting some concrete missions and succeeding on them. When the Republic player succeeds on one of these missions, it has a chance to guess who he Dark Lord is by saying a leader's name aloud ; if it is the wrong leader, the Republic player searches his/her intel card and keep it, but also kills this leader. After that, the Republic leader intel cards which were still on the board are shuffled and put randomly again on the remaining systems. However, if the Republic player says the right name, the Dark Lord is revealed.

Defeating the Dark Lord : From the moment the Dark Lord identity is revealed, the Dark Lord faction has to use the real Dark Lord leader instead of "The Dark Lord" leader 3 . If this leader is in the Republic pool or on the board, the Republic loses this leader and replaces it with a new one. The Dark Lord faction has to place the real Dark Lord leader on a system and it cannot return to the pool again, from that moment on it behaves like a ground unit in terms of movement, and it has to be protected from the Republic. The Republic wins when it starts a battle on the system that contains the Dark Lord leader and destroy all Separatist ground units.

Dark Lord winning

The Dark Lord faction wins when the Order 66 is executed, and this event is represented by an "Order 66 marker" (the same way Rebellion reputation marker works in Star Wars Rebellion). This marker starts at position "14" of the round counter, and the time marker moves towards it. The Order 66 marker is moved one point towards the time marker when the Dark Lord faction kills a Jedi 4 . EDIT: I thought this mechanich was too simple, so in the end the Dark Lord faction will have various objective cards with different "tasks", all related to deceiving people and gain influence to build the Empire, and some of them will be about killing Jedi.

The jedi that are used on missions remain on the board until the end of the round. While they are on a system, they behave like ground units and can be killed. They inflict damage according to their power. Also, they have a number of "health points", depending on how powerful they are. For example, Yoda, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn 5 and Anakin Skywalker would have 6 health points, while other jedi would have 5 or 4 health points.

Galactic Republic details

- The missions that are necessary for the Republic faction to get "Republic leader intel cards" (capture, interrogatory and so on) can only be attempted by Jedi leaders.

- Only Jedi leaders can activate systems.

- EDIT : Each time the Dark Lord faction kills a jedi, the Republic recruits a new leader by picking an action card.

- There will be 14 Republic leaders. One of them is the infiltrated dark lord.

- Republic leaders that are not Jedi can't be killed.

- Missions could include attempting to capture Separatist leaders to interrogate them and make them say the name of some possible leaders (the quantity should be big, maybe 10, not a little quantity like 3, because that would make it to easy to find out, and there is no option to change the the identity of the Dark Lord).

- Another mission could attempt to send an "agent" to get the intel card of a system (so that there is no need to move ground units there).

- The Republic doesn't subjugate systems, of course. The effects that its units have in the relationship of the Republic with a neutral system could be possitive if only a few units are moved into the system (it could be considered just a friendly visit) or negative if there are many units (it could be considered a threat); this would apply to space units too. The possitive effect would be making it easier to gain loyalty in that system (with two victory points for a loyalty mission), and the negative effect would be the opposite (two less victory points for a loyalty mission). Moving units to a Separatist system would always get the negative effect.

- There will be some jedi specific tactic cards. One will deflect fire with their lightsaber (protecting themselves and also ally units), and will also send fire back to the enemy as an extra option if you have one of the right jedi.

Dark Lord faction details

- The Dark Lord faction uses the Separatists units.

- The real Dark Lord leader can't be killed by the Dark Lord faction.

- The Separatists subjugate systems the same way the Empire does, but they need to roll five dice first and and get 3 victory points.

- The Dark Lord faction should try to have ground units on as many systems as possible to make it hard for the Republic to get intel by moving a Jedi into a system.

- There would be a few unopposed missions to "influence" the Republic (eg. moving Republic units to another system that maybe start a battle, moving a leader, etc). These missions can only be played while the Dark Lord has not been revealed.

- There will be a mission to lure a Jedi to the dark side and make it a dark apprentice.

- The sith and some other dark leaders will also have damage and health points to combat like a ground unit. Only these leaders can activate systems. The Jedi can kill them the same way jedi can be killed.

- There will be 14 dark leaders, including "The Dark Lord" leader.

Footnotes

1 EDIT : There must be 33 intel cards . This is because the Republic will have to discover the leader card in every system that is not loyal to the Republic; as there are a total of 32 systems , that makes 32 intel cards plus 1 intel card who is the Dark Lord. 15 of them will be blank.

2 For example, if the Dark Lord player chooses Mace Windu to be the Dark Lord at the beginning of the game, Mace Windu will work as any other leader for the Republic, while another leader called "The Dark Lord" will be used by the Dark Lord player.

3 For example, if Mace Windu is the Dark Lord, the Dark Lord player will replace "The Dark Lord" leader with Mace Windu leader. "The Dark Lord" leader wil not be used anymore.

4 This is because according to the story the main obstacle between Palpatine and absolute control of the galaxy was the Jedi Order.

5 Although Qui-Gon Jinn dies before the Clone Wars, I love this character and I want to include him in the game, and maybe reference some of the events of the first movie like recruiting Anakin Skywalker on Tatooine as a "what-if" change.

Edited by coldshadow94
Adding contents

anything happening with this ?