RtL - Miniature expansion pack?

By Verzutiko, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I would very much like FFG to make a Miniature expansion pack for RtL, as I would love to have minis for the Lieutenants and Avatars! But how can we convince FFG to make such an expansion?

One way could be to gauge the interest of players on this board. So, if FFG decided to make this miniature expansion, how much would you be willing to pay up for it? Keep in mind that with all the lieutenants and avatars, we're talking about 20 miniatures.

• 14,95$
  • 19,95$
  • 24,95$
  • 29,95$
  • 34,95$
  • 39,95$

Personally, I would see myself willing to cough up 29,95$ to get good unique miniatures for my games. What about you?

Avatars and Lieutenants doesn't seem like a good enough reason, especially if they weren't painted. I'm satisfied with using counters or representing avatars with monsters. If they did offer it, I'd pay at the most $10.

Hmm, ok.

What if they included extra dungeons, more encounters and some more outdoor areas? Add in a couple of new avatars and quests for the Overlord? Oh, and what about a new dungeon book for the old and the new dungeons? If you play on a regular basis, I guess the dungeon book that was in the RtL has seen some wear?

Would that gauge your interest and if yes - how much would you be willing to pay for this pack?

Any other ideas of what can be included in such an expansion?

If you included some new heroes (maybe 2-4) and item cards, then I bet people would pick it up in a jiffy. Maybe a quest or 2 on a folded up rule sheet. Expecially if the quests had variants for including the expansions. I'd be willing to pay $20-30 for a mini expanion that didn't include tons of new counters, rules, monsters (except lieutenants) and map pieces.

Toss in new dungeons, encounter maps, and rumors and I'd totally pay $29.99. If they made an RtL-specific expansion that had:

• Minis for all the Current RtL Lieutenants/Avatars
  • New dungeons (including WoD, AoD, and ToI components/monsters)
  • New rumors (including WoD, AoD, and ToI components/monsters)
  • New encounters (including WoD, AoD, and ToI monsters)
  • New encounter maps
  • at least 1 New Avatar+Avatar Keep level (including Avatar/Lt minis)
  • at least 1 new plot

I would totally pay full expansion price for it. Wouldn't even need new heroes, new terrinoth board, nothing. I imagine it as comparable in size to the RtL expansion, which is why I would be willing to put down the full price. However, since it's an expansion to an expansion to a board game, I doubt such an idea would be approved by FFG in this current economic climate. It makes way more economic sense to invest in exiting new IP and cash in on the WoW licensing deal.

I wouldn't be adverse to being able to buy packs of extra monsters, (ie 4 Skeletons, 2 Master Skeletons) just like they sell extra packs of the dice. And it would have no appreciable extra cost to them in the economic times as they already have the molds made.

including

• a book/summary of all the dungeons (for jitd and the expansions),
  • perhaps a new rulebook (even if i like the one from rtl very much, but including the toi-rules and perhaps the new faq´s),
  • new rumors and outdoor encounters, some new dungeons, including toi-stuff
  • miniatures for the OL and his lt´s (not necessary),
  • a few new market or copper/silver/gold items and eventually
  • new heroes (imo not really necessary as theres already that huge bunch of sword-swinging guys with lots of possible combinations for a party) AND
  • some backup-tokens (like the ones that came only one-time per hero like the ready tokens f.e.)

i would pay about 25-30$

I would love to see such a Expansion Pack. But there should be more in the Box for the price of a regular Expansion Pack.

I miss Miniatures for all the familiars, the rolling Stone and some Furniture (the only thing where the old Hero Quest is superior to Descent).

At the moment i use Reaperminis for the Familiars and MageKnight Furniture to improve my Descent Game.

All the money i invested for the stuff (more than a regular Descent-Expansion) could have gone straight to FFG if they would release such a Miniature/Decoration Pack.

And what will happen to the Runebound Midnight Hero-Miniatures? Will they be re-released in any future Descent-Expansion like all other Runebound Miniatures so far?

imo miniatures for the familiars are really useless as they often share the same space with a monster/heroe - so that would mean changing miniatures to familiar-tokens every few minutes.

I think the package Thundercles put up would be the best way for them to go. While I would love see some minis for the Lt/Avatars, if they made just the rest of that I would pay around $25-30 for it.

I think there is sufficient interest in RtL to warrant them making it. I mean on the old forum (I think it was there), someone mentioned talking to KW and he said there was one on the way. We'll have to see what it holds.

Big Remy said:

I think the package Thundercles put up would be the best way for them to go. While I would love see some minis for the Lt/Avatars, if they made just the rest of that I would pay around $25-30 for it.

I think there is sufficient interest in RtL to warrant them making it. I mean on the old forum (I think it was there), someone mentioned talking to KW and he said there was one on the way. We'll have to see what it holds.

I second that. The package Thundercles had was very good, but I would also see a new dungeon book for all the old and new dungeons.

Big Remy said:

See, but then there would be no reason for ME to buy this because I don't play RtL. It needs something for the vanilla Descent players, maybe like a book of one shot dungeons where the lieutanent models count as super-named-monsters. With varients to include all the expansions of course.

I'd love to see this expansion. It comes in at around the same figure content as a normal expansion, so we'd need a bit more to make it "full size".

Instead of the Avatars as such, it may be better, is to simply have a number of "boss monsters". OTT versions of each of the models from the basic set and all the expansions. This would work well for marking Leaders in RtL, as well as Avatars, named monsters in vanilla, etc. Thereafter, any expansions with new monsters can have a boss figure as well.

Then we just need the figures for the Lieutenants...

sputang said:

Big Remy said:

See, but then there would be no reason for ME to buy this because I don't play RtL. It needs something for the vanilla Descent players, maybe like a book of one shot dungeons where the lieutanent models count as super-named-monsters. With varients to include all the expansions of course.

No to be contrary, but I thought that the OP was concerning what you would want for a RtL expansion? Why would it need to include anything for vanilla Descent if it were an RtL-specific expansion?

Big Remy said:

No to be contrary, but I thought that the OP was concerning what you would want for a RtL expansion? Why would it need to include anything for vanilla Descent if it were an RtL-specific expansion?

Well, more specifically the OP asked how can we convince FFG to make such an expansion, and I think it would be in their best interest to make it attractive to both regular one-shot Descent players and RtL players. And if it had more heroes/items/quests, then the rest could be all rumors/plots/whatever and I'd still buy it.