Kal's Mini Painting Tracker and Painted Mini Emporium

By KalEl814, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

So I'll start this thread by saying I need to take better pics of my minis, so in the short term half of the title is a lie... I have no pics to share.

36573691.jpg

Now that I've got self-trolling out of the way...

I had maintained a paint tracker / shopping list google sheet for a while. The link for it lived in my sig until that feature got dunked. @FrogTrigger messaged me with some feedback on it, so I'm here today to debut a new version of it. As with the last one, this is all based on @Sorastro 's excellent tutorial series .

I'm not creative, so it's called Miniature Painting Tracker v2 .

I'm hopeful that the new formatting gives the sheet some additional utility.

I'd gotten some feedback from users that not everyone spends half of their working life in Excel (I am jelly) and that it wasn't always obvious what to do, or what the intent of certain fields were. Here's a quick crash course on the columns and rows, most of which is included in the sheet itself.

• Column A: Paint name (almost always Citadel, unless otherwise specified), and color coding. "Green" paints are used on 16 minis or more, "yellow" paints are used on 10 - 15 minis, "orange" paints are used on 4 - 9 minis, and "red" paints are used on 1 - 3 minis.
  • Column B: The Citadel paint "type" or "line." I find this useful in my FLGS since the racks are organized this way, with all the "Base" paints together, then all the "Layer" paints, etc. No idea if all stores sort their paints this way, but it makes my life easier!
  • Column C: This is blank in the shared sheet, so when people download / copy a version of it, they can sort by this column to track which paints they need to buy. I personally use three different responses here... Yes / No / Low. When I'm shopping I sort by this field to exclude Yes, so I can see what paints I don't have or am low on. Then I look at the color scheme in column A / the count in column E to figure where my money is best spent.
  • Column D: The first (and only!) new column! Here I've listed in which episode a paint is first referenced by Sorastro. Sorting by this column should allow people to add new rows as Sorastro adds new episodes and I add new paints without having to blow up locally stored copies of the tracker, or hunt and peck new rows to add.
  • Column E: Also known as the Nuln Oil column! This one tracks the number of minis a particular paint is used on, which feeds into the color coding on column A. If you don't care for my color scheme, you can use this to figure out which paints will give you the most bang for your buck.
  • Column F and beyond: One row per episode. Filtering to show only Xs on any one of these columns will allow you to have the tracker show you what paints are needed for that mini only.
  • Row 1: Episode number, starting with the Stormtroopers in Column F
  • Row 2: The number of paints used on a mini / in an episode, staring with the Stormtroopers in Column F. As of 01 Apr 2017, Gideon Argus needs the most colors, coming in at a whopping 35! Everyone knows that he's worth it, but that's a lot of paint!

My recommendation to people would be to save a copy of the sheet locally, either in their own google drive, Excel, etc. From there you can maintain your own column C however you'd like. As Sorastro adds tutorials and I add columns, you can use column D to add just new paints, and keep your locally saved changes.

Future additions to the sheet may include tabs for other games on Sorastro's channel (I also own Descent 2nd Ed and Zombicide Black Plague), and possibly a column for VMC equivalents for the Citadel colors.

Feedback is welcome! Pics to come! The juice is loose!

EDIT - Many thanks to whichever mod moved my post. :) Cheers.

Edited by KalEl814

Well I've dropped the ball on this. :| I suppose getting married will do that!

I'll update the tracker for the latest episodes shortly.

Hey, so the tracker is current through Healbot now , so that's something!

Also, I'll start paying the pic tax. In no particular order...

Here's Kayn Somos! As you can see, he's protecting some Jet Troopers who are en route to the proctologist... er... paint clinic? As ever, my photography is terrible yet I have no regrets.

Z8daaSb.jpg

Here's Luke, or something! This is part 1 of a series I call, "Shadows Cast Upon a Coffee Mug that SAYS 'Coffee' On It But Actually Contains Diluted Paint"

GkJGZZs.jpg

Han Solo, in Photo 2 of the series referenced above.

LGLANsc.jpg

2 Shots of General Weiss in a series I call, "Kal Couldn't Light His Mini Photos Properly if His life Depended Upon It, So Let Us Give Thanks That It Does Not!"

DBz8OPw.jpg

A4d5kBh.jpg

3 Shots of Randi the Rancor. She's yet to have any base fanciness but I like how she came out! I'd never wet blended before, and I'd say my success rate was about 50%. The legs came out great, the arms... not so much. However, she's been so heavily washed that you can't tell! Joy.

E58Ui3d.jpg

EGZ2xIy.jpg

rwumApB.jpg

Edited by KalEl814

Hey here’s more panting!

Jabba, mostly done and ready for some washes and highlights.

9F1CVJi.jpg

Hard to tell because my photography is trash, but he’s a little more washed here.

wrHomA3.jpg

Here he’s done. Need to clean up the sand on his base (I’m a dope and glued him onto the base before painting him) and touch up his tattoo but he’s most of the way there. Zenithal highlights really helped and I’m slowly getting the hang of wet blending.

sLTtfRT.jpg

And hey, Jet Troopers! Just need some base work.

PLcpJSw.jpg

As always the coffee mug is OP, pls nerf.

Back again! The tracker has been updated to be Dengar current.

I shall also continue to pay the pic tax. The coffee mug is omnipresent.

iVkhP96.jpg

Alt sculpt Stormies, Leia, and Gamorrean Guards. I need to post a pic of the first batch of Stormies I did next to these guys. I feel like I’ve improved!

lb0n14B.jpg

Leia alone before I did up the base. Her sculpt had a huge gash on her left cheek that I didn’t notice until after my rattlecan zenithal highlights. Filled it in with some goo.

F1njNa9.jpg

Murne ready to give false orders!

pC8X0Rl.jpg

gCiF4qf.jpg

Shyla ready to channel her inner Devo and whip it good.

kXfvfdC.jpg

Anf lastly, Onar. Super pleased with the results on this one.

I’ll be starting a new tracker and thread for Legion at some point. I just can’t resist those imgur downvotes! :P

https://imgur.com/gallery/ggpua