Etheneus painting

By Etheneus, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

New to IA, haven't even played the game yet other than the tutorial (3 times different groups) and Aftermath once. I do play and paint alot of Warhammer 8th wood elves and Bretonnia and more recently 9th Age.

I'm an amateur painter that really enjoy the peace and quiet but have neither patients or the steady hand for the good work but I thought I share my paintings anyway.

So far I have done my stormtroopers, officers and probe droids. For now I only have the droids on my camera/phone. Will post the others tomorrow.

http:// aviary-image-1490812300717_zpsgzpqltez.j

Here are the stormtroopers and officers.

20170305_125731_zpsxrffi54p.jpg

http:// 20170307_190403_zpsxps5trj7.jpg

As you could already see on the droids I have chosen to differentiate the bases: desert, forest, snow and floor of metal (space ship). This is to keep the groups separated for the gaming purpose. Elites of course have red rim. It also serves as a motivator to get better at basing and trying different things. If you see my wood elves army bases you would understand.

The officers are all different in colours also. Army light grey (forest), navy darker grey (floor) and security bureau white as elite (desert)

Tried some light effect on a stormtrooper also. Never done it before. Okay but not good. To the far right.

I like it, good job. I've wanted to up my basing game lately, re visting old figures to give them something better than the grey. What mix did you use to simulate the metal tile floor? Does it match the color of most imperial tiles?

5 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

I like it, good job. I've wanted to up my basing game lately, re visting old figures to give them something better than the grey. What mix did you use to simulate the metal tile floor? Does it match the color of most imperial tiles?

Thanks.

I didn't care so much about matching with the tiles unfortunately and I haven't checked afterwards either. Can do after the weekend. (Visiting my parent-in-law, brought things to paint not play;) )

The painting is actually based on Sorastro's assassin droids, the steel ones. Just blue and metal. I did use a little black also because I thought it to bright. Dark shade on top and done.

Now I have to start painting my E-WEB

I'd like to come up with a mix that matches the tiles, would be the next best thing to clear bases (I find no matter how good someone is at clear basing you still always see smudges around the feet). Perhaps some experimenting is in order! Line up green army men..

@FrogTrigger Turns out my mix was pretty accurate on the imperial tiles, you can see that on the two photos below. One taken with flash the other without.

The shade (nuln oil) assembled into puddles which ruins it a bit but overall it looks good. Added a few black lines also to make it look even more like the tiles.

The mix is inspired by Sorastros steel assassin droids. It was dark blue (I only had an old Mordian blue from the old citadel range) , leadbealcher, 1 to 3 but I thought it to bright so added a little Abaddon black. Nuln oil on top to darken it a bit more and done.

20170403_093755_zpsb5lg4q1h.jpg

http:// 20170403_093750_zps1ecynoog.jpg

I'm on a roll! Finished my E-WEB and Royal guard. Satisfied with both. Still differentiated the bases to separate the groups.

E-WEB

20170407_084356_zpstvvdnflb.jpg

Royal guard

20170407_084437_zpstn9fbabt.jpg

Will take a while till I can continue with IA. Need to get some Bretonnias and wood elves done also.

Great job, what do you use for your basing? Looks like some army paint tufts possibly? But what about the grass/desert look?

The forest base: The tuft is army painter wasteland tuft indeed. I use citadel texture paint underneath. The grass and other green stuff is a mix of gale force nine jungle basing kit (flock and static grass) and some german stuff I got from a friend (not in original packing so no idea what brand but only very little of v this as it is very dark)

Desert base: I use glue and sand. Then glue mixed with paint (zandri dust) then highlight (tyrant skull) easy

So, my wife agreed to take photos for me from now on so the quality of those will be tremendously better!

I have had time to paint my trandoshans and finished the second Nexu today (will only post the first one now since we haven't had time to take pictures yet)

I painted my trandoshans with a lot less vibrant colors saving that for Boosk as according to Star wars Legend they prefer darker clothing and camouflage although there are exceptions. It´'s still a lot more color than most imperials have. I checked Sorastros after I painted them so that I was actually satisfied with them and liked his camouflage so much that I remade the blue and the green ones clothes.

S9gAPXF.jpg

rBj1oPp.jpg

The Nexu was also painted almost fully till I realized I had no idea how to do the stripes and once again Sorastros guide helped me out.

T1IqxSk.jpg

6zOe3sC.jpg

@Sorastro thank you for your awesome videos.

Edited by Etheneus
Photobucket
1 hour ago, Etheneus said:

@Sorastro thank you for your awesome videos.

You're very welcome Etheneus! You're doing a great job with your set :)

So for you who understand: Glad midsommar! (Happy midsummer)

I've painted a lot the last few days since the last big excercise with my company but haven't had time to post them or my wife haven't had time to even take the photos.

I've also started my first campaign ever. I play as the Imperial and have bought every wave 1 figure although all of them haven't been delivered.

Will post more tomorrow but a little something before bed here is the second Nexu (elite)

wL5L0y5.jpg

0d2bSfW.jpg

Read in Star wars legends that there is supposed to be Black Nexu that is even more fierce so thought it fitting for the elite one.

Edited by Etheneus

Alright. As mentioned I've started my first campaign with two friends. I won the first mission (Aftermath) and the second (Generous Donations) was more of a victory for me also netting me three influence points. Those points was used to buy the Royal Guard Champion mission so he would have to be painted for our next session. Unfortunately I had a mishap with the matt varnish, it coughed a burst and the model look moldy. Don't know how but will have to fix it.

W01xdXV.jpg

After that I checked what next story mission would be I saw that Darth Vader would be in it so did him to.

Did him as I wanted but got stuck on the lightsaber so checked Sorastros for that and added the light effect from his video also.

xcbLEkt.jpg

Finally I also did IG88 for fun and I've brought his agenda deck if I would get that to. Added some colour by making a line green and a tube copper.

RT24UnX.jpg

Hope you'll like them

Edited by Etheneus

Alright. After this photobucket thing I will now start posting again here with a few images using imgur. Let's see how that goes.

I have painted all the core and wave 1 allies and villains but the rebel troopers, Jyn and Gideon. Haven't had my wife take the photos yet though.

Here is Gaarkhan and Chewbacca for starter. I didn't like the character art of Gaarkhan so I did my own darker one. His rebel mark is barley visible on his chest.

D4EahA8.jpg

Edited by Etheneus
Trouble with image

So, the first picture worked so let's do some more. I reposted some of the older pictures but my wife didn't want me to use all my old phone pictures of the first miniatures but she wants to re-shoot them. Who am I to say no. :D

Will add some others now. Starting with Fenn. I loved the blue scarf but I looked at his (red) mission and it's jungle/wood theme so that's what I would make his base and as such his uniform had to be woodland.

AGMoDKH.jpg

Next is Mak whom I hate in the campaign (disengage :angry: ) and he on the other hand got a desert mission. So away with the green, here comes the sand.

UxBqOkK.jpg

drWqdnZ.jpg

And lastly our favourite moisture farmer. Luke himself. Not happy about the eyes but everything else was satisfying. Sure the trousers are a bit yellow but it gave the model a nice look.

cwWbQvH.jpg

Brilliant stuff, I especially like your black nexu.

Have painted a few minis but not much IA, recently got back to painting things for 9th age who are trying to pick up where Games workshop left the game. It's free rules and not bound to any company for purchasing miniatures.

My undead knights and peasants

Vd5p112.jpg

u8jloJz.jpg

Edited by Etheneus
Trouble with image

Will you be getting legion?

It's tempting but I don't think so. I have two armies for 9th age and so far only core and twin shadow for IA and so much left to paint.

Besides, I'mbeing transferred to another part of Sweden so I'll be leaving my gaming group.

I suddenly realised yesterday that it was Star Wars day so had to paint a figure and only had 2 hours of the day left. ?

Something simple then and with @Sorastro as a guide this was the result with ten minutes to spare.

iVdvT4V.jpg

Edited by Etheneus

I really love your IG-88...I am currently working on mine now...yours has a nice metallic pop to it, very nice.

20 hours ago, BobbyStrange said:

I really love your IG-88...I am currently working on mine now...yours has a nice metallic pop to it, very nice.

Thanks, he was actually boring to paint because all the metal but such a cool model and character. Took about an hour

I did check sorastro while painting and decided against his lighting effect that being more colour just because I wanted the metallic to show more.

2 hours ago, Etheneus said:

Thanks, he was actually boring to paint because all the metal but such a cool model and character. Took about an hour

I did check sorastro while painting and decided against his lighting effect that being more colour just because I wanted the metallic to show more.

What type of shade did you use?

Nuln oil, only.

Black primer, Leadbelcher, Nuln oil twice, leadbelcher dry brush, nuln oil leadbelcher dry brush again.

Had to make R2, I mean, they are almost inseparable. Z34pmgC.jpg