Etheneus painting

By Etheneus, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Time for another Hero. Biv Bodhrik. Really liked the character art except the red gun so I made it blue instead. xUknlzh.jpg

lkW9t8m.jpg

bravo for doing the eyes. I'm always impressed when people manage to make eyes that actually look good.

44 minutes ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

bravo for doing the eyes. I'm always impressed when people manage to make eyes that actually look good.

Never try to make a figure look directly forward and you're half-way there. ;)

As I said in the Humor and drama topic in the campaign forum. In my first play through of the app campaign BT-1 showed up in every single mission. I just had to paint him next so here he is with his partner in crime. (The bases are not finished)

d6lnvaA.jpg

I love the "eye" on BT, the lighting looks really great!

I have had little time to paint recently but took some time to do these guys. As you can see I keep converting things to not have to many clones, in this case two ISB infiltrator and one alliance smuggler had to lose their heads to make this happen. Also one infiltrator had to lose his arm for an armoured gauntlet (Games workshop bretonnia knight's arm)

I didn't like the purple of the character art so painted them after agent Kallus from the Star Wars Rebels.

The picture doesn't show it but the alliance smuggler head was accidentally cut in the left cheek so I painted it like a scar. Will try to make another picture of it.

wlQljAC.jpg

After the picture was taken I put on some varnish and then ard coat to make them shine a little but went a little overboard with the varnish making the figures look even more grey. This picture show better how I painted them.

Nice stuff. I've prepped mine for painting, but haven't gotten around to it yet - mainly as they don't really pull their weight in Skirmish anymore.

Well this was a mistake to say the least. Again went to heavy with the varnish and the whole figure became grey.

Biv is my best example since you can see him before varnish above, not that he was the most grey one.

5XDHQM6.jpg

CrenqHo.jpg

I’m trying to fix this by putting some gloss on the figures (BT1, 0-0-0 and others) will update if it works (seem to do it for triple 0 but not BT1)

You can handpaint on matte varnish afterwards to take most of it away. I've done that before.

Haven't touched IA since the accident above. Haven't felt like it BT1 is screwed, nothing I did helped. Biv's front is okay but his back is not. Triple zero is okay as are the other figures that was sprayed at the same time. Will post pictures of that when I got some pictures.

In the meantime here is, just finished, Boba Fett

Y2Y6UzJ.jpg

C0n2Gko.jpg

Alright so here is Biv after trying to save the mistake I did with the Matt varnish. I applied a great deal of gloss varnish and then resprayed with Matt.

ylSJyA4.jpg iTnEpCd.jpg

Maybe can't tell by the pictures but his front is acctually okay, some small grey on the glove and boots. His back is still "snowy". Especially his boots and trousers but also hair and shoulder.

While going through here you might think why/how I could fail with so many, especially after doing the mistake with the ISB infiltrators above. Well the ghosting on them were not so prominent and all the models in this post was sprayed with varnish at the same time, one after the other and I didn't see the mistake until they were dry. I tend to spray models when several are done instead of just one.

After painting Biv I made Saska Teft. Had the same problem with her after putting on varnish although not as bad as Biv. In her case the front was hit worst and is not as great in coloration as before.

wBkxigi.jpg

tXqEaah.jpg

My wookie elite... had to check, haven't even posted my regular ones will do... was also a bit grey but here no trace is left with the method mentioned above with gloss and reapply Matt.

lqiXK7G.jpg

The weapons are from my Games Workshop Wood Elves.

BT1 and 0-0-0 was also hit bad and BT1 is by far the worst one. I'm thinking of buying a new pack and remake him and use this one as a junk droid or something.

9fMdHcM.jpg

XMNWJQF.jpg

I also had this problem with my Tusken raiders but except the gaffi sticks it's not a big show

znIzrcJ.jpg

Regular on dune sea base (dark picture, sorry)

nkMAAUd.jpg

Elite on cracked desert.

Finally here is my Rodian Alliance Smuggler whom got away with gloss and reapplying matt.

Ftlupf5.jpg

Nice one man, you've brought them back well, I had the misfortune of "ghosting" a recent mini of Zoe from Firefly due to spraying my varnish as it was getting dark and cold (too eager to finish her, my mistake! haha), but managed to bring her back from being ruined with some Vallejo Matt brush on and few touch ups.

So it's been a while. I've been busy with painting Fantasy Battle 9th Age miniatures getting ready for a tournament. Lots of elves and other things to paint.

Besides I also only had Rebel Saboteurs to paint and I wanted to convert them again, not having two Duros but one, and a human.

I thought of doing a Rebel Trooper helm? No. A ISB Infiltratir head? Maybe. Alliance Ranger head? Yes, that's it.

Here is a WIP:

rYKBO2o.jpg

The Ranger got the ISB head instead. Will make one of the Rangers a Twi'lek also as I've seen somebody else done and I've already done with one Hired Gun.

Hmm... now that I think of it. I will make a weapon swap on a Ranger for an E11 and one of the Saboteurs will lose a blaster for a Thermal Detonator. This will be fun.

So, I did the conversion, swapped a blaster for a E11 and a pointing hand (no pic right now) on a ranger and the blaster pistol on the Saboteur was cut of and a hand with an axe replaced it. Cut the axe off and the weight at its bottom too. The weight was glued to the top as a big round button.

While painting the hand came off. I decided to pin it in place a pictures below show.

uMq0SEh.jpg The hand

SMVx5PH.jpg hole drilled in arm

4gZQQeE.jpg Glued, just some glue to remove/paint over.

They are finished!

Lr0LrNS.jpg EZh47Bz.jpg QLDLgiz.jpg

They turned out the way I wanted, a little desert draped ragtag unit that are going to push the empire's finest.

These are my elite, the regulars you can find in the first page.

Oh and I very much know (from personal experience) that detonators don't have red buttons on military detonators but it looks so good!

Edited by Etheneus