Future of the Game

By Hawkman2000, in Star Wars: The Card Game

10 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

I'd buy a relaunch with tweaked mechanics and typical deckbuilding structure. ****, I'd buy 2, or 3, or however many copies FFG's contentious distribution model required to get a play set

I wouldn't. SWLCG deckbuilding has just about killed regular deckbuilding for me - I can't stand making that many individually meaningless decisions any more.

The deck-building mechanics and the theme didn’t mesh properly, because the mechanics were not designed with Star Wars in mind, but something the designer had lying on a shelf somewhere. It deserved better.

A reprint of the Star Wars CCG (still the best) as a special edition would be so cool. It was the best card game at the time until Lucas pulled the plug.

6 hours ago, TheNameWasTaken said:

I wouldn't. SWLCG deckbuilding has just about killed regular deckbuilding for me - I can't stand making that many individually meaningless decisions any more.

Thank you for your feedback. I see there's a new Star Wars Yahtzee available. Maybe you'd like it!

6 hours ago, cheapmate said:

The deck-building mechanics and the theme didn’t mesh properly, because the mechanics were not designed with Star Wars in mind, but something the designer had lying on a shelf somewhere. It deserved better.

A reprint of the Star Wars CCG (still the best) as a special edition would be so cool. It was the best card game at the time until Lucas pulled the plug.

Careful! Don't let any Eric Lang fans see this post or else you may end up burnt at the stake kindled by copies of CMON games. I completely agree with you.

I really like the CCG. I'd love a reissue with a more streamlined card list. I think it went downhill at or after the special edition set.

I loved the games deck building mechanic. so much better than yet one more pick every single individual card game. Something new and fresh. Sad the game has officially died and what a terrible way to announce it. Asmodee NA is just continuing to go down hill with their decisions. I miss FFG.

1 hour ago, qwertyuiop said:

Careful! Don't let any Eric Lang fans see this post or else you may end up burnt at the stake kindled by copies of CMON games. I completely agree with you.

Luckily for them that’s what a lot of CMON games are only good for, kindling.

I loved Call of Cthulhu and Chaos in the Old World, but not everything Mr Lang touches turns to gold (looking at you, Kaosball).

On 12/12/2017 at 2:59 AM, joepott said:

Am I the only one that wishes FFG would reformat the Star Wars LCG in the style of Arkham and Lord of the Rings? I know I would love to see what that would look like. I am sure my wallet would not like the idea though.

I really hope for a cooperative Star Wars LCG, like Arkham Horror LCG, in the future... I love the story telling aspect of Arkham... it just sucks you in the theme, setting and atmosphere. Star Wars has so many stories... it could work well... I wonder what would be the main story driving mechanic though (like finding clues in Arkham LCG)?

Another thing I prefer in a co-op LCG, compared to a competitive one, is the fact that you can play it solo. Again, like Arkham Horror LCG.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by bartdevuyst
9 hours ago, bartdevuyst said:

I really hope for a cooperative Star Wars LCG, like Arkham Horror LCG, in the future... I love the story telling aspect of Arkham... it just sucks you in the theme, setting and atmosphere. Star Wars has so many stories... it could work well... I wonder what would be the main story driving mechanic though (like finding clues in Arkham LCG)?

Another thing I prefer in a co-op LCG, compared to a competitive one, is the fact that you can play it solo. Again, like Arkham Horror LCG.

Fingers crossed.

Crossing fingers same as everyone else, but I think a coop LCG for Star Wars would be too close to Imperial Assault, especially now with the app “playing” the Empire, for it to happen.

That being said, it would be a waste of the Star Wars licence not to do anything in the card game segment, so who knows.

Wait a minute . Is there an official announcement that the game ends? :( :( :(

@VicRattlehed It was unceremoniously tossed into the latest pack announcement.

The only truly co-op Star Wars card game I'd ever play, I've already mentioned elsewhere. You play as jawas and work to survive and thrive on Tatooine.

I'd make an exception if a new co-op incorporated real life trust falls or participation stickers.

18 hours ago, bartdevuyst said:

Fingers crossed.

I hope not. Coop games are boring and there is already plenty of those. I doubt it gets replaced in any way shape or form beyond Destiny taking up its slot in the star wars games department.

I agree. I do not think that it will be replaced. FFG will focus on Destiny and X-Wing.

:(

7 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

@VicRattlehed It was unceremoniously tossed into the latest pack announcement.

Yeah, I missed it when I first glanced at the article. In fact, I kind of chuckled to myself when I saw the article tease that said "Announcing the Final Force Pack of the Alliances Cycle." I actually found myself thinking, "Wow. That could be misread very easily." I took a look at a few cards, got a little excited, ignored the article itself, posted the article to my local FB group, and even commented a little on the Jedi objective set.

Then I went back and actually read the article, and I realized that my initial reaction to the article tease was spot on! :blink:

I love the game and am sad about its ending. But I also hope they do not replace it.

As has been stated, there are so many SW games out now, fans can be spread thin. So any new product can easily take focus off an existing established product (maybe Destiny did this with SW LCG?). Even if all games are great, fans only have so much income available, so choices are made.

So if a new game would possibly mean that fans of another established game that they are already pumping money/time into are suddenly disappointed by their game ending, Id rather they get to continue to enjoy their game. My own opinion is that there are enough good SW games there now to enjoy :)

For me, I will continue to play SW LCG with the great solo variant on BGG and I will continue to follow Imperial Assault. I hope that fans of Destiny, Legion, X-Wing, Armada etc also get to carry on having fun with new products.

I don’t think Destiny or other Star Wars games impacted this at all. This game didn’t sell well from the start, being far outperformed by Netrunner. If anything, Destiny may have been created as a reaction to the poor performance of this game and the need to get a decent card game on the SW IP.

A coop game wouldn’t impact Destiny or X-Wing at all. Maybe Imperial Assault, but that didn’t stop them from making Legion. A competitive living card game like Decipher’s old CCG wouldn’t impact Destiny much. They’re two completely different play experiences. One is an epic, long game based heavily off play strategy and deck building. The other is a quick, fast-paced action game. They’d scratch two different itches.

Edited by gokubb

Destiny was probably the nail in the coffin of an already dying game just by being everything the LCG should have been. Destiny is a card game with real deckbuilding plus it's fun, easy to play and it cover all the star wars fandom. Sure it is a tcg but it is more accessible than other games like Magic or Yu-Gi-OH.

I do appreciate that different games scratch different itches and thus may not directly compete. My thoughts though were more that most people only have so much money to throw at games.

Eg: If you have enough cash for 3 games for your favourite IP and there are 5 on the market, then you cant buy 2 of them even if you want to and they scratch different itches. Still doesnt mean that games such as Destiny "did" affect SW-LCG sales but I think it could well have for those of us with limited funds. Destiny didnt replace another game, it added to the choice.

On 1/11/2018 at 3:22 PM, qwertyuiop said:

Thank you for your feedback. I see there's a new Star Wars Yahtzee available. Maybe you'd like it!

Really appreciate the snark, thanks! Despite your irony, Destiny deckbuilding is actually a step in the right direction compared to Magic - when you build a deck one card at a time, the decks should be small so that each individual choice mattered. But it's not enough - the choices in Destiny deckbuilding aren't remotely complex and matter but a little. SW LCG deckbuilding offers few choices, but they're complex and impactful, and that's what I'm after.

16 hours ago, gokubb said:

I don’t think Destiny or other Star Wars games impacted this at all. This game didn’t sell well from the start, being far outperformed by Netrunner. If anything, Destiny may have been created as a reaction to the poor performance of this game and the need to get a decent card game on the SW IP.

A coop game wouldn’t impact Destiny or X-Wing at all. Maybe Imperial Assault, but that didn’t stop them from making Legion. A competitive living card game like Decipher’s old CCG wouldn’t impact Destiny much. They’re two completely different play experiences. One is an epic, long game based heavily off play strategy and deck building. The other is a quick, fast-paced action game. They’d scratch two different itches.

As I actually posted in response to someone stating something similar earlier in this thread, that second sentence really isn't true. At one point a year or two into the game, FFG said the Star Wars LCG was their 2nd biggest selling game during one of their "state of" presentations that was covered by Team Covenant. To say it didn't sell well from the start is not true based on FFG's own public statement.

That being said, it was clear interest and sales had dropped off recently. Destiny probably didn't help, but in my opinion, people have short attention spans and start gravitating towards new games after awhile. Close to 6 years still isn't that bad of a run overall.

I’ve been to multiple GenCons and world champs at FFG HQ (including first year Netrunner and SW LCG were held there). Netrunner had three to four times the turnout of SW LCG from the start. In my local area, stores had to discount SW LCG during the first cycle, whereas Netrunner went through four or five local product shortages. I absolutely do not believe SW was ever their second best selling game. Of core sets, it may have sold as well as anything off SW name alone and distributors probably ate it up in the beginning before they realized it wouldn’t sell.

21 hours ago, TheNameWasTaken said:

Really appreciate the snark, thanks! Despite your irony, Destiny deckbuilding is actually a step in the right direction compared to Magic - when you build a deck one card at a time, the decks should be small so that each individual choice mattered. But it's not enough - the choices in Destiny deckbuilding aren't remotely complex and matter but a little. SW LCG deckbuilding offers few choices, but they're complex and impactful, and that's what I'm after.

C5ERuY_UYAA6XeN.jpg

16 hours ago, gokubb said:

I’ve been to multiple GenCons and world champs at FFG HQ (including first year Netrunner and SW LCG were held there). Netrunner had three to four times the turnout of SW LCG from the start. In my local area, stores had to discount SW LCG during the first cycle, whereas Netrunner went through four or five local product shortages. I absolutely do not believe SW was ever their second best selling game. Of core sets, it may have sold as well as anything off SW name alone and distributors probably ate it up in the beginning before they realized it wouldn’t sell.

In all seriousness, and I do hope this doesn't come off as confrontational, because that's not my intent, why do you think FFG would claim the Star Wars LCG was their 2nd biggest selling game at one point if it weren't true? What reason would they have to do that?

4 hours ago, yodaman1971 said:

In all seriousness, and I do hope this doesn't come off as confrontational, because that's not my intent, why do you think FFG would claim the Star Wars LCG was their 2nd biggest selling game at one point if it weren't true? What reason would they have to do that?

Depends on when they said that. Like I said, could have been totals from right after the core set, which I imagine distributors ate right up. Plus their sales numbers are based off distributor purchases from them, not sales at actual game stores. The first order of Star Wars LCG was probably huge in anticipation of a competitive card game in the SW IP.

But, there is no way the game outsold Netrunner or XWing, at least on a level where product ended up in players’ hands.

20 minutes ago, gokubb said:

Depends on when they said that. Like I said, could have been totals from right after the core set, which I imagine distributors ate right up. Plus their sales numbers are based off distributor purchases from them, not sales at actual game stores. The first order of Star Wars LCG was probably huge in anticipation of a competitive card game in the SW IP.

But, there is no way the game outsold Netrunner or XWing, at least on a level where product ended up in players’ hands.

To be fair, it didn't have to outsell either of those to be the 2nd highest selling LCG at the time. At the time (this was 2013 I think?), Netrunner was the top seller. It just had to be selling better than CoC, AGoT 1e, Invasion, and LotR, I think. X-Wing is not an LCG and entirely irrelevant to the statement.