Range difficulties in 3rd edition

By Hjarti, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hail folks!

Haven't find topic close to my problem.

We have played near a year in WFRP 3rd edition and very like it! But now we have a question: how realy works range battle? I mean basic difficulty for Melee and Range Actions is 1 challenge dice. But is it modifies by range (medium, long extrime)? Or bound to the specific ranged weapon? E.g. handgun shoots only medium range with diff. 1 challenge dice, bow - long range with 1 ch. dice (but by adding 2nd ch. dice can shoot extreme)?

Thanks forwarding for the answers!

Edited by Hjarti

Well I don't have the official rules on me right now, but what I love about this system is how fluid it can be with such rule calls.

I think you have it right though. By each range increment above whatever the weapon's range is, I would say add an additional challenge die. So a long bow shooting extreme range would have 2 challenge die and a handgun at extreme range would be 3 challenge die.

The Extreme Shot action card would change that rule, though, as it specifically allows you to shoot at one range increment higher than the weapon allows. This would be a great reward incentive, especially if your players have been attempting such feats on a regular basis.

There are official rules on that. See Player's Guide page 98:

Range: Shows the range that the weapon may fire without penalty. Weapons are ineffective beyond this range unless a special action or ability indicates otherwise.

More over, there is a ranged weapon such as Longbow that is normally effective at long range but may shoot at targets at extreme range with +1 difficulty.

With that said, it does not mean that you cannot modify this to fit your game better. I would suggest that if players want to increase range by 1 increment they need to sacrifice an expertise die for the check.
Adding more difficulty interfers with "Unreliable" property which isn't desirable.

Yup, to keep it simple things are "in range or not", except for that longbow special action.

Now I add misfortune dice range modifiers in terrain or conditions that suggest it - in heavy fog, forests etc. I use the same penalty as a bonus to hiding/penalty to spotting things in those conditions.

Thank you all for help!

dertarr, we realy miss this info on 98's page, thanks a lot!

valvorik, so for conditions that prevent normal visivility of the target we need to add just missfortune dices?

It's like poor light modifiers, which also are misfortune dice- though at some point a challenge die can be thrown in. I only do that if the conditions are bad enough some "chaos star-worthy" mischances are feasible as opposed to just missing.

I also impose misfortune dice if shooting into melee, and a chance of friendly fire if not using the action designed for that purpose, see:

https://the-awkward-companions.obsidianportal.com/wikis/common-rule-and-houserule-reminders

I use "weather cards" (random deck to pull from) and they often have modifiers, such as Winter Storm, Ballistic Ranged attacks suffer one misfortune per range category (wind) - if not a blackpowder weapon.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎25 at 11:12 PM, valvorik said:

I use "weather cards" (random deck to pull from) and they often have modifiers, such as Winter Storm, Ballistic Ranged attacks suffer one misfortune per range category (wind) - if not a blackpowder weapon.

Ohh, are these cards custom made? And if so, do you feel like sharing them?

Thanks. :)

14 hours ago, k7e9 said:

Ohh, are these cards custom made? And if so, do you feel like sharing them?

Thanks. :)

Oh, it would be nice to see an example if it is possible.

I made them in word, using another's home-made weather effects and tinkering.

I print off multiples so that "Fair and Sunny, like the day Taal met Rhya, fortune die to social actions" may come up more often then "Hot and Humid, feels like being in an ogre's armpit, [bunch of effects such as harder to get restful sleep, trooping around in heavy armour may cause negative consequences, inverse of fair and sunny in terms of social actions may not work as well].

I also have done "Sewer encounter/event" cards and "Cursed Marsh cards" (for 1000 Thrones/Marienburg) adapted from various earlier edition adventures. I use Pathfinder's chase/forest cards as well at times.

PM me an email address and I'll send them to anyone interested.

Edited by valvorik

I made a set of weather standups to use with the Enemy Within campaign. These worked wonders for both me and the players remembering what kind of weather it was and to apply the correct modifiers. They are really basic looking, but their main function is to remind you of the weather conditions, not to look pretty.

They can be combined to make, for example, a foggy night.

Print out the sheet, cut them out and then fold them along the middle line, so they create "tents". I have found that cards etc that are lying flat on the table are often overloked, but you notice the stuff standing up.

Weather Standups